1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jayzers_100, Jul 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

I hear you man and I agree that nobody can stop those guys, But I think smith would give us a better chance at it.

2. w00t

w00t Member

Smith was playing PF this season on Pistons and SF last... Both equally sucked. So the argument about playing out of position goes into trash

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Because of the question mark of Jones availability this season and the fact that Black and Dorsey are the only back up bigs right now, Smith is worth a try.

4. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

are we suppose to be expecting a trade decision soon? Why is the media making it seem like the deadline is next week or something? lol

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

its not really hitting the panic button at all. there's a few pieces here and there that will be shifted around. its all about taking that next step into legit contender status because right now houston is just a playoff team.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

No no no wait...... I don't know.... I'm just guessing/predicting this happens.... Yah I think it happens SOON....

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

SVG the GM waived him. Also, anyone could see the fit there was terrible. Drummond, Monroe and Smith is ugly even on paper. They are about to lose Monroe this offseason, too. No team should go for him if Detroit won't give him a contract?

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, you're so right! Definitely agree on Smith, Rockets need to make the move or someone else will. And if he goes to the Mavs... I wish we could just skip this season.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

It is the Pistons, still a NBA team and they paid him to go away!

10. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

SVG didn't sign him dumars did. SVG is going to let monroe walk to, they are cleaning house

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Mavs can acquire all the inefficient guys they want, it isn't going to help them. Rondo is so bad on offense this year that teams are not even defending him in half court sets. Josh Smith is also one of the most inefficient players in the league. I hope Dallas gets him.

12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Whoa! I just looked at some advanced stats and my findings were quite interesting concerning these 3 players.

Terrance Jones is by far the most efficient player out of the three. To be fair since he hasn't played but 4 games this year I used his numbers from last year. TJones has a higher PER, TS%, TRB%, BLK%, & all three WS averages. Was amazed by this. However because TJones' return is completely up in the air these stat finds might be nothing more than a "what could've been" scenario.

With that being said, that kind of leaves us with the debate between Dmo and Smith, presuming we do indeed pick him up. Even as good as Dmo has been playing this year the only stat worth considering (IMHO) that was better than JSmith's was TS%. The reason I'm not concerned with that is because we don't need JSmith to be shooting jump shots like his two previous teams. As far as what we need smith to do rebound, play defense, and block shots, it doesnt take advanced stats to know that Josh Smith is the better between the two.

Still after making a strong case for signing Smith, as it would indeed be an upgrade over Dmo, our best option at the 4 spot when healthy is TJones. Numbers don't lie, as much as I like Dmo and prefer to watch his post game over others, Smith would be a good addition.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Don't be ridiculous. If Morey passes on Josh Smith, it will be because he doesn't think he plays well enough to justify 1. the cost and 2. the potential chemistry problems. In which case, the Mavs can have him.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

ariza's numbers have plummeted..does he suck too?

15. hakeemthagreat

Yep, just as I expected. 95% of the ppl who claim they don't want Smith are D-Mo fans who have imaginary expectations of D-Mo. Smith is a better overrall NBA player than D-Mo. Stop overrating our guys

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's actually very possible that he does, yes.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i guess so then, so he should be waived then if it was your decision.

18. Salvy

Salvy Member

Haha, the reason I chose an old computer is because I feel like you don't need much to be an "NBA expert" today..... Words like "Locker room cancer" get thrown around because they read it on espn.com but they don't really know.

You can measure how many points a player may score, you can measure how many shots a player may miss.... But you cant measure a player's heart and desire to win.
    "Never underestimate the heart of a champion"-Rudy T........ If Smith wants a ring he will join The Rockets and do whatever it takes to win it, because he can help make it happen.... Even if its sitting on the bench for 3 min until DMO collects two fouls......

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I firmly disagree, a 6'7" Josh Smith is not a 7'0" defensive anchor like DMo.

And Josh is in serious decline....and is dumber than a box of hammers - he is JR Rider all over again, once the athleticism declines they suck.

Josh Smith Sucks..

DD

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

josh smith is not 6'7. joey dorsey is 6'7

1 person likes this.