1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Oh crap! Ewing's a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iball, Jul 2, 2003.

1. xcharged

xcharged Member

I'm not so sure about that.

Dream taught O'Neil just because your the biggest, doesn't mean you're the baddest.

Dream taught Ewing to look up every now and then because there's another level of play he wasn't aware of.

Robinson, I believe learned the most from Dream...
    Fear of your opponent, makes you jump happy.
    A Big Man and incredible foot work = embarrasment 4 NE 1 Wearing # 50
    and that 1995 MVP trophy was only on loan.

I'm sure Dream could teach Yao those 3 magic words...
    "Gimme Da Bowl"

-go rockets-

#101 xcharged, Jul 3, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  2. fasthand2000

fasthand2000 Contributing Member

Oh well, Ewing was under contract too.

3. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

#103 land_sharks, Jul 3, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  4. xcharged

xcharged Member

Knicks are coming out of the wood worx

New additions to Rockets staff (chron.com)

Steve Clifford Three years as advance scout/ assistant coach with Knicks
    Patrick Ewing One year as assistant coach with Wizards
    Andy Greer Two years as advance scout with Knicks
    Tom Thibodeau Seven years as assistant coach with Knicks

5. Friday

Friday Contributing Member

I hope you don't consider that teaching... That was a total embarassment of all of them that year, and it all started with Robinson getting the MVP trophy...

Dream can't teach.... he might "skool" or embarass the hell out of people, but he is not a teacher.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

24 hours later and it's still a weird feeling to know he is a Rocket

7. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Im over the fact that Ewing is now a Rocket. I was bitter at first.... just didnt seem right, but the dude seems eager to coach so why not give the man a chance to help Yao out.

Oh and maybe he can light a fire under the asses of Mo and EG. That would be friggin nice.

8. Dm324

Dm324 Member

hey the way i see it it gives us another big body on the bench for when a fight breaks out

9. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

There are some funny cats on the BBS! FUNNY!

10. xcharged

xcharged Member

Lemme just say I'm not knocking the aquisition of P.E.
    I just thougth this was a good article I hadn't seen before on this BBS.
    [full article]
    http://www.notebookmargins.com/mike/SmSports/Ewing.html

Changing NBA game, greatness passes Ewing
    By David Halberstam - March 2001

Ewing's game with the Knicks became heavy, slow and predictable.

That meant that he lacked what today's best players -- Jordan, Allen Iverson and others -- take for granted, the ability to start one move, and then to adjust in midmove to what the defense is doing, in effect running options off your own move.

Once Ewing started a particular move, it was difficult for him to adjust to the swarming force of the defense which the predictability of his moves had inevitably triggered. Late in big games, everyone in the arena -- most relevantly the opposition and his teammates -- knew what Ewing was going to do on offense: He would take the ball on the side, drive to the key and take that jump shot.

This also meant that he was unusually vulnerable to the strip because of the double team that almost always awaited him. It was a move which seemed to have no options off it, not the way he ran it. He became the most predictable of players in the most predictable of offenses. Like most professional basketball players, he chose to practice most what he was already good at, shooting, rather than work at what was obviously hard for him, passing.

More than in any major sport, the key to basketball greatness is the ability to make other players better. Here is where Ewing is most vulnerable in his claim to greatness. No major player of the era which is now ending was worse at passing off the double team than Ewing.

[skipped to the good part]
    The big man who adapted better to the changing league -- he came into the league at virtually the same time as Ewing -- was Hakeem Olajuwon. His game became far more creative and less predictable, and he became a very good passer off the double team. On defense he played like a center; on offense, he played like a small forward. Rarely has one player outplayed another the way Olajuwon outplayed David Robinson in their famed playoff series in the same season that Robinson was the league's most valuable player.

That for me, was the performance of a truly great player.

11. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

I like this move, so let me get my Ewing bashing out of the way.

Patrick Ewing= P - EW (cerca 1993)

okay, I'm done.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Look, all I care about is we have a coaching staff that will actually work with the players to make them better....and win.

Two years ago April, I went to a Rockets game. Courtside under the basket. With the tickets came VIP blah blah blah; you go early, get access to the floor, etc.

Steve came early to warm up. The rest of the team muddled around, farted around; Kelvin was heaving up 3 pointers. No discipline, no orientation at all.

Rudy came in, sipping coffee, BSing with the assistant coaches. Except for maybe Larry Smith working with another big guy (very briefly), I didn't get the sense of seriousness.

Jason Kidd and the Suns killed us that night.

So if I'm getting more of a sense of urgency now, fine. If the former Knicks can take having the Rox 94 championship banner hanging overhead, then so can I.

As long as we don't get headlines like:

EWING AND YAO BUSTED AT COLORADO CLUB

CHINA RECALLS YAO: "Shame of Our Nation"

Yao Ming was quoted as saying, "Mr Patrick said, 'Hey Pow, let's go to Wendy's,' and I thought we were getting a Frosty, but then we pull up to this place, I said, 'Colorado? I thought we were nowhere near Colorado,' and Mr Patrick says, 'When I said "Wendy's" I sure didn't mean the late-nite drive thru, Pow, come on in, I'll introduce you to Wendy, she's got an a$$ make you beg for a drink of water; got your Visa card?'"

13. kturner77

kturner77 Member

I know I have not posted much, but I think that it is incredibly immature and silly to be upset that Patrick Ewing is now a Rockets assistant. I think we must be more objective when it comes to the home team. He should be judged on his willingness and determinaton to coach the big men on this team well, and his commitment to winning. I those things are intact, then more power to him and the Rockets. The idea that Hakeem Olajuwon should have been considered is only if he WANTED to be, and if he can coach. I think it is a good move. Ewing brings not only years of experience in the league, but lets not forget that even getting to the finals is an achievement in itself. The Knicks would have won had it not been for the juggernaught that was Hakeem Olajuwon and the awesome team the Rockets had at the time. Give it some time... at least he WANTS to coach.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow. heypartner, could you explain? I'm curious...really. :confused:

15. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

Ewing will help improve Yao's game. Good pickup for the team. No complaints here.........

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I am to, but mostly I want to know if he's OK.
    Let us know if it's inappropriate to ask.

17. vegaspauli

vegaspauli Member

or Chris Childs.....

18. ErraticAssassin

What the hell is Ewing going to teach Yao? Yao already knows how to shoot jumpshots.

Besides, that sweet baseline move that Yao made in Indiana was light years ahead of anything that Patrick Ewing did in his entire career.

19. sackonhead

sackonhead Contributing Member

What is wrong with going to strip clubs?
    Ya'll make it seem like going to Treasures is a bad thing!
    What is the matter with you guys? You don't like looking at women?

Patrick Ewing is going to be a good addition to this organization. He can teach Yao how to travel, hit a baseline jumper, block and box out. Give JVG and his crew a chance. I think we are in for something special this year with some structure and discipline.
    Any offense besides the ISO will be a welcome change.

And what is with all of this animosity towards Ewing?
    Over an NCAA championship? C'mon. The Dream handed Ewing a beatdown during the Finals and eventually got the last laugh with an NBA championship ring. I'm sure that meant more to him than winning the NCAA.

As for the Knicks, well, we smoked them while OJ was cruising the streets of LA. It was a great time. Don't hate the Knicks....hate the Jazz, or the Lakers, or the Sonics....

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Was Hakeem ever considered as an assistant coach? DId Hakeem ever make known intentions to become a coach in the NBA?