1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best places to fish in houston??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by H-town_playa2k2, Feb 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I will say this, location doesn't matter if you are going 40 miles offshore.

But yes, those 50 person charters can get CRAZY!

I would recommend a bay trip in Port Aransas, or Matagorda if you are looking to stay in Texas.

I say Louisiana because well, there fishing is hot right now. Ridiculous limits as well. Of course that won't matter on a charter because you can keep as much as you want.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

And if you want a connect on charters let me know.

Thanks.

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

X2 on Louisiana. Anything in lake calcasieu is good.

I have a guided trip in December for flounder gigging. That seems like a lot of fun, and if your dad did any fishing back in the day, he may have done some flounder gigging, so it could bring back memories. We're using galvestonfloundergigging.com for that.

I've gone on one or two guided trips a year. I know one guy in Galveston that is pretty novice friendly (will use live bait) and one of the cheapest guides.

4. Buck Turgidson

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i went twice with this guide, normally you pay around 400+ for a 1/2 day trip, so this is a sweet deal

http://www.groupon.com/deals/coastal-pursuit

6. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

jesse jones park, north side

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'll split a trip with ya next time ...

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks for this. I think this is what I'm going to get him. My only concern is that in past experiences it seems like companies resent people that use Groupons for some reason. Hopefully that's not the case with these guys, as it looks like a great deal.

If I get a charter for 3, does that mean it is just my group and the captain? I just want to ensure they don't stuff a bunch of groups on there at once.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

That flounder gigging looks like a unique experience. That site also offers bay fishing trips, and they have a lot of positive reviews. They charge twice the price of the groupon charter above, but I'm wondering if it might be a better choice for us now based on the reviews.

10. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I have yet to go on the gigging trip (it is this weekend).

One of the charters I've used that fishes the jetties is http://www.galvestonfishingwithcaptainmike.com/

He is pretty reasonable for a 4 hour trip. But, he basically only goes to the jetties. This time of year, I'm guessing you'd be looking for bull reds out there.

I've also heard that sometimes those groupon trips are a pain for the guides, because they're barely break even, so they might not necessarily "give it their all".

11. Eps

Eps Member

The jetties a g-town. Flounder is on a steady run, even with this crappy weather.
    Head up north to any lakes. If possible go to a place that leases boats or kayaks (BJ's Marina @ LK Houston). WAY better chances of you catching something.

Also i'd like to go fishing with any of ya'll. If i werent a murderous ****. sorry.

12. what

what Member

The point. Conroe. Oh, I forgot that is no longer there, right?

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Bumping this to see if anyone knows a website that updates what ponds are stocked around the Houston area. I thought I had a website but I can't find it.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

The fish in the south shore golf course ponds are so ****ed up from the chemicals and dye they use to treat the water, you can catch them with bread as bait. Problem is they are all deformed so you see some weird stuff. No eyes, albino, extra eyes, Siamese fish, feet etc.

15. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

16. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member