1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas - X Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A few of us have always been on the D-Mo train. I was ridiculed a number of times for saying that D-Mo is a center and will probably be an all star in this league. That analysis was trivial. Skill set, work ethic, size, quickness, and a mean streak on the floor. And mass. Definitely mass.

2. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

Agree .. The only PF he "may" not be able to guard is Blake Griffin. But then DMo should be able to score on him easily.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

For those who remember the whole Shane Battier thing, during that point when asked who the most difficult person to defend is, he said Manu, and his reason was that Manu does everything at about the same percentage, goees left, goes right, drives, pulls up, all the same so there's no looking to force him to his weaknesses, and dmo's post game is like that, from either block, force him left, or right? whats it matter, the guy is ambidextrous. Dwight for example, you want to send to his right, especially from the left block so instead they're basically forced to play Dmo straight up, Dmo sees doubles coming now and he's now added Hakeem's ball cradle to break soft doubles.

#1183 Aleron, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And when needed he was ready. He was never going to be traded. McHale and Morey are to good at talent evaluation to ever even consider that. We are just seeing what They saw in the first few months D-Mo was on the roster.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

To true. D-Mo is developing into the most dangerous post player the NBA has seen in a decade.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Even Chris Webber was giving him props and saying he was going to tell people about this guy Donatas Motiejunas. Finally coming to fruition.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's going a bit far, he's a rare commodity, but I don't see a superstar in the making.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

his post game sure, but if his post game was a 10, you'd give his pick and roll a 2, i have almost no confidence in him finishing that through traffic, even Dwight is like a 7 on the post and a 10 at the p&r, old man duncan at least when younger was a 9 for both (and is still probably 8's). To become a superstar he'd really need to improve the other parts, either his jumper or his p&r or both, and i'm not talking a small improvement.

#1188 Aleron, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I remember that. Time flies!

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He had post-up opportunities. He didn't look that great at them. Seemed to rush his shot more often than not.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I pretty much share this sentiment. It took awhile for him to "get it" but I'm so happy he's found his stride. He started like 40 games his rookie year so he's had his chances before, but something clearly "clicked" with him and he looks like a completely different player.

12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Young players tend to do that, no matter how talented. Letting them play through nerves is the best thing to do.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

No super star for sure, but an all star? Maybe. However D-Mo certainly does have the IQ, the skill set and the size to be a formidable P&R threat. But he has little need right not to develop that part of his game. He is after all playing with Howard who is pretty darn close to a 10 in the P&R.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

McHale called and D-Mo was more than ready. After the 12/31 game there will be the stats to actually appraise D-Mo's progress. 20 games for a starter is statistically significant. But an entire season is certainly better.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think that's way too far. DMo is nowhere close to Cousins, for example. He won't be better than Pau or Al Jefferson either.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Really? From my very fallible eye test D-Mo is superior to everyone's post ups but Big Al's. As a pure post player. I have resisted running numbers on D-Mo until he has 20 games since Howard went down. I will have a better idea, with supporting facts, early next year. Until then I am only posting an opinion.

17. Key

Key Member

Wow...nobody wants to be late to jump on this bandwagon.

I mean I get it, he's been playing well lately, he put some new moves up on display and I was waiting for this to happen for a very long time.

But let's not forget that there will be ups and downs, his shots will not be falling in some games and he won't look as good. It's just the beginning of him getting consistent minutes, so it will be tough to see him having bad stretches. I hope we, and more importantly the coaching staff won't lose their trust in him when that happens.

Ofcourse, we've seen what he can do. And some of you are already saying he's gonna shut down LMA, Griffin, Zbo, score on everyone at will, teams will have to double team him... That will happen, at least I hope it will, but we'll have to give him another year or two of him getting consistent playing time until he is that guy that you are picturing him.

18. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

can u predict the future??stock tips?

19. haiti1804

haiti1804 Member

this!excellent post

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Hasn't he started 18 games already?

So the 18th Dec game vs New Orleans will be number 20?