1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mens Fashion] Dress Shirts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Let's chit-chat.

I've entered the realm of being dressed 'nice' while at work. This means dress shirts and slacks early in the week, and jeans/khakis and polo later in the week. However, my dress shirt collection and knowledge is rather weak.

Right now I have bought a Lauren and Kenneth Cole shirt each and I think I will stick to them when it comes to upgrading my collection. I'm not sure I want to stick with the traditional "have a blue shirt, have a white with blue stripe shirt, etc". I have stuck to department stores, and some of the dress shirts can be quite pricey: anything at Saks or Nordstrom, Boss and Polo brands.

So, what do you wear Clutchfans?

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like my dress shirts from Banana Republic or J. Crew usually. Always slim fitted, no matter your body type, slim fitted shirts always look better. Those places aren't particularly cheap, but you can find deals there if you look

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I wear dress shirts 6 days/week. My favorite brands are Charvet and Borrelli. They offer a staggering amount of fabrics, patterns, and styles so you'll be happy. They are pricey, but very well worth it given the outstanding quality, comfort, tailored fit, and durability.

You can have a tailor measure you locally, and then send the measurements to them. They'll ship to you rather quickly. However, I highly recommending getting measured by their in-house tailors because the fit is of utmost importance.

1 person likes this.
  4. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Do you guys get them dry cleaned ?

I bpught some shirts at express and they are impossible to iron.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I like the Polo dress shirts with single colors. Main thing is to buy your general size and get them tailored for custom fit.

6. conquistador#11

hey look we got a bunch of chandlers in the hangout. i kidd.

definitely banana republic (factory) they always have 40% off alreadyclearance sales on shirts. joseph a banks is pretty good too.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I usually wear an Adidas jersey and nike shoes to work. I'll put on a suit every now and then just cause I don't feel like working or my bosses are kind enough to say take the day off.

8. yo

yo Contributing Member

Echo the importance of the fit. Either fitted/slim fit/tailored fit. Important not to have all that excess material sagging around, especially around the waist... just not a good look. I figured this out waaaay too late and now I have a whole collection of big shirts that I don't wear anymore. Shirts like the non-iron shirts from Banana Republic should be what you target.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cohete Rojo

I'm all about deals. I'd think these places would be better for casual shirts, like J Crew.

I like the idea of a tailored shirt. I don't like the idea of spending my entire day's earnings to pay for it. But maybe one for special occasions wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Would a dry cleaner be a good place for alterations or is a place like Men's Warehouse and Brooks Borthers better?

I iron my shirts. Dry cleaners generally use a press, but take tips from these guys:

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yK6iQj-I_0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ylQtbXFZ4yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Cohete Rojo

I like the Lauren shirt I have because I can just wash it, dry it and throw it on the hanger without having to bring out the iron. And fitted are best but every maker has their own style, i.e. custom fit, a bit trimmer, trim, modern, etc.

Also, I have gone the route of wearing skinny slacks and khakis but I still just keep it straight fit with the jeans. My balls appreciate the later.

11. dmoneybangbang

I got a Macy's credit card and shop there exclusively for work clothes. Lots of major brands and good prices, not to mention their "generic" brands. Got the credit card just because you save more money overall and most major cities have at least one Macy's.

I also recommend getting slim fit or clothes that "fit well". I hate trying on clothes but it really is worth the time (time = money) getting clothes that fit well and feel great so you closet isn't full of clothes that don't fit (my rookie mistake).

1 person likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I said f*** it to button up shirts a while ago at work. I'm a short-sleeved polo guy now, unless they're all dirty and I have no other choice than to go button-up.

1 person likes this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

J Crew has some dress shirts too but, yeah they are probably more casual

but Banana Republic has lots of dress shirts, much moreso than J Crew. They also have 2 types of fitted shirts which is helpful if you want a good fit without having to rely on a tailor

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Stay in tip top shape and anything you wear would be stylin. Ugly cats tend to wear the most expensive brands ever.

1 person likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I went to express and told her to dress me. She was enjoying it.

16. Cohete Rojo

I've got coupons for Macy's, which is probably going to keep me shopping there for a while longer. They "seem" to have good deals. Haven't spent more than $40 on a shirt yet.

Yeah, I'm going to address polo shirts, but that's for another thread.

Good advice, cheecks. At my age, being 153 pounds may pay off in the coming years in terms of buying new slacks, but gravity wins in the long-run.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I think you would be better off just going over to hamilton.

18. mraznb0i

mraznb0i Member

Slim fit non iron from Brooks Brothers is my go to. Have about 20 and worn them for the past 6 years. I just wash them and throw them in the dryers and they come out wrinkle free every time.

19. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

/thread

unless your fat

20. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For true slim fit dress shirts that don't break the bank, check out the Nordstrom brand dress shirts. You can usually find some at Nordstrom Rack in the $30-40 range. That leaves you with some extra dough to have them altered at the tailors if you need them slummed a bit more.

Brooks Brothers also offers an extra slim fit shirt (which would be slim at any other brand) but they're not as sleek in their cut and they're pricier (even if you get them on sale).