1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA.COM Who is best 2guard in league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Averaging a block from the SG position is a pretty amazing stat. Especially so when it's 6'5" guard who doesn't jump out of the gym.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed with everyone who's mentioned Harden doesn't play defense. IF these reporters had actually watched any games, they could, at worst, say "he's playing good defense, but he needs to prove it longer". Instead, they simply say "he doesn't play defense". Old narrative rehashed by lazy and/or hating writers.

Hate on, players... and we'll see in the end.

#22 Houstunna, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  3. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

The "Harden doesn't play defense" argument is just lazy and further proves how many of these "analysts" don't actually know what they are talking about. JH has been really really solid defensively all season.

1 person likes this.
  4. desertfire

desertfire Member

There's a lot of love for Harden in that article, but I am continually amazed on how hard it is to change the narrative about Harden's defense. It is okay to say that you are not yet sold on his defensive improvements, but to talk about how bad his defense is while ignoring the facts from this year is bad journalism.

5. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

So much lol. Kay Thompson is so overrated. He can't create **** for himself

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't see how anyone who has watched Rockets games this season can honestly say that Klay Thompson is better than James Harden. Harden is a much more complete offensive player, facilitator, and has been just as good a defender as Thompson this season.

Honestly I've never even seen Thompson lock someone up on defense like a Tony Allen or PJ Tucker, idk where he got the "defensive stopper" reputation from.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

srs, when you can average 1bpg at 6'5 and not be an athletic freak you're playing really good defense\

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He plays for Golden State, so of course he's hyped to be something better than he is

1 person likes this.
  9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Everyone loves Thompson for his defense because they know if he wasn't a suitable defender, people would have to talk about how bad of a defender Curry is. No one wants to see any fault with Curry, even if his defense is horrendous and because Klay is able to cover up for Curry, everyone loves Klay.

Warriors are just media darlings, and until they get embarrassed or starting playing poorly the love for that team will only increase.

1 person likes this.
  10. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

I would argue that pretty much anything outside being the first pick for every single writer is disrespectful at this point. Anyone who has any doubt that Harden is the clearly the best SG in the NBA is either not watching the games or just trolling for clicks. I assume that these people have at least the basic knowledge of the game required to understand this, of course, which might actually be a stretch with sports journalism these days.

1 person likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well now I understand how Harden is ranked 5th on Sekou Smith's MVP race. These people are insane! How does a guy carry a team to a record of 16-4 with half of their rotation (including their other superstar) injured and get so little acknowledgement?

Harden has won games with defensive plays this year. And he's been solid defensively throughout. I don't think any of the other guys they mentioned have that much of an edge over Harden on defense these days - in fact, Harden may actually be a better defensive player this year (although I don't know if I'd put him above Jimmy Butler defensively). But on offense? HE IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE RIGHT NOW! He is second in points per game and his efficiency is insane!

What does he have to do to get the respect he deserves? Harden ought to be the clear front runner for MVP right now as there is NOBODY who is more integral to their team's success who is winning at this clip. There is no one even close! He has carried one of the most banged up teams in the league to the second best record in the league! And let's not forget that most of these analysts didn't rank a HEALTHY Rockets team very highly.

I would not be offended to see Harden mentioned similarly if the discussion was who is the league MVP. That would be fine. But really? Only 50% of the sports writers asked think he is even the best player at his position? They ought to be outright ashamed of their ignorance.

p.s. guy talking about the Golden Age of shooting guards - there was this guy named Clyde Drexler who was pretty good too.

p.p.s. I hope Harden locks Thompson down next game and goes for 50 on him.

#31 Williamson, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  12. bongman

bongman Member

Height is highly overrated. Beard has a standing reach of 8.75. That is only 1.25" shorter than Griffin. He has long ass arms. This why he can rebound well and is sometimes asked to guard PF's.

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It's funny because I really don't get the narrative that harden is not athletic. That's funny because he had a 37" vert and faster court sprints than wade at the combine. The guy prob weights almost 235lbs and an do all this amazing stuff I'd say he's a freak because the only other wing player with comparable strength and athletism is lebron.

14. baubo

baubo Member

Always been the case. Remember back when Jordan was glossed over for the MVP every year (later LeBron to lesser extent)? Or baseball writers not unanimously voting in duh HOFs simply because?

Expecting all journalists to have common sense has always been difficult.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

IMO there really is not a close 2nd to Harden. His biggest problem is the national perception that he does not play defense. This season he has easily been the best defensive 2 guard in the league but last season he was very likely the worst.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I find it very difficult to worry about a bunch of sports writers opinion on who is the best SG in the league. Let us see how the coaches pick the all star lineups. That is much more telling.

17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

This. He got plenty of love in this article. I'm not sure where the beef is? Sure, some of the writers are still clinging to the tired narrative of "no defense" but plenty of others are catching on to the truth.

18. LandryMegaBeast

i saw this on nba.com and almost ranted on the comments section.. but i dont mind it. the underdog mentality has worked with this team this year. idgaf. let the haters hate. we'll keep winning games.

19. rocketurk

rocketurk Member

So some "experts" picked Thompson, Butler, Wade and even Wesley "freaking" Matthews over Harden. Wow that's one kind of an expertise. And they are getting paid for it. Gotta love their job.

Not being a homer or something but James Harden is the best 2 guard in the league and it's not even close. If the season ended today he should be the MVP. We are 16-4 without three starters and one of them is Dwight Howard. smh.

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

I'm not going to say every national media member is an idiot, but those guys are. And I'm not in the business of getting upset over something idiots say.