1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Frist Endorses Constitutional Amendment to Ban Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Timing, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Timing

Timing Member

The party of bigotry is at it again. I don't know how so many backwards ass people could get in such powerful positions in our government. It's disgusting. He's a hypocrite too. He thinks sodomy should be decided by state laws and that the Supremes overstepped their bounds but of course gay marriage needs a federal ban. Nice work Billy.

Frist Endorses Idea of Gay Marriage Ban
    Sun Jun 29, 8:00 PM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By WILLIAM C. MANN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The Senate majority leader said Sunday he supported a proposed constitutional amendment to ban homosexual marriage in the United States.

Sen. Bill Frist (news, bio, voting record), R-Tenn., said the Supreme Court's decision last week on gay sex threatens to make the American home a place where criminality is condoned.

The court on Thursday threw out a Texas law that prohibited acts of sodomy between homosexuals in a private home, saying that such a prohibition violates the defendants' privacy rights under the Constitution. The ruling invalidated the Texas law and similar statutes in 12 other states.

"I have this fear that this zone of privacy that we all want protected in our own homes is gradually — or I'm concerned about the potential for it gradually being encroached upon, where criminal activity within the home would in some way be condoned," Frist told ABC's "This Week."

"And I'm thinking of — whether it's prostitution or illegal commercial drug activity in the home — ... to have the courts come in, in this zone of privacy, and begin to define it gives me some concern."

Asked whether he supported an amendment that would ban any marriage in the United States except a union of a man and a woman, Frist said: "I absolutely do, of course I do.

"I very much feel that marriage is a sacrament, and that sacrament should extend and can extend to that legal entity of a union between — what is traditionally in our Western values has been defined — as between a man and a woman. So I would support the amendment."

Same-sex marriages are legal in Belgium and the Netherlands. Canada's Liberal government announced two weeks ago that it would enact similar legislation soon.

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, R-Colo., was the main sponsor of the proposal offered May 21 to amend the Constitution. It was referred to the House Judiciary subcommittee on the Constitution on Wednesday, the day before the high court ruled.

As drafted, the proposal says:

"Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any state under state or federal law shall be construed to require that marital status or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon unmarried couples or groups."

To be added to the Constitution, the proposal must be approved by two-thirds of the House and the Senate and ratified by three-fourths of the states.

Frist said Sunday he respects the Supreme Court decision but feels the justices overstepped their bounds.

"Generally, I think matters such as sodomy should be addressed by the state legislatures," Frist said. "That's where those decisions — with the local norms, the local mores — are being able to have their input in reflected.

"And that's where it should be decided, and not in the courts."

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What I don't understand is what the heck people care about getting married?

Who cares, if 2 men or 2 women want to get married...so what.

I mean let people live their lives how they choose.

SHEESH !!

DD

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seriously, if this ever passes, I'm outta here. I am not kidding. I will move to Canada if something like this ever passes in this country.

4. johnheath

johnheath Member

Marriage is by definition the union of a man and a woman. I don't mind same sex couples being treated equally under the law, but don't call it marriage.

I would vote for the amendment, and help Hangout Boy pack his belongings.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

Bye Rm95. We'll miss you. Don't forget to pack your sweaters!

This is so 1996.

6. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

yea screw gay marriage , i'll be out like rocketman, except i'll proly hit up mexico. I say we let the gay's move to canada if they marry, then it will never pass :eek:

jk on the canada diss, its a nice place, been twice :eek:

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

definitions change. the definition of voter used to be white male landowner.

as if you heteros have really done much with marriage anyway.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Why the hell is there a law against sodomy. This is just stupid.

9. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

isn't there supposed to be a seperation of church and state?? how does applying very Christian values to the Constitution not totally violate that seperation? the fact that you would actually vote for this so-called "amendment" is disturbing, to say the least.

10. Timing

Timing Member

This is gender discriminiation.

11. johnheath

johnheath Member

That is a valid point. Unlike some, if times change, I will stay here and adapt.

I just don't like "marriage" being redefined. It already has a meaning.

12. johnheath

johnheath Member

No, because I will help Hangout Boy's girlfriend pack as well.

13. Timing

Timing Member

lol Okay that was a good one but still, denying someone a legal status based on gender is discrimination.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

God, it never stops. Yet another idiotic Republican leader shows his true colors. What a rediculous thing to waste time and energy on. We're battling lunatics around the world, the economy is as fragile as a glass sculpture, the deficit is a record levels... you could go on and on... and Frist brings this up. What an a$$. I wonder who suggested it to him. Or did he come up with this on his own.

15. johnheath

johnheath Member

What do you call it when a brother and sister fall in love, and they are denied the right to marry?

(besides a Jerry Springer episode)

16. outlaw

outlaw Member

Rick Santorum has supported this for a few years now.

17. outlaw

outlaw Member

well your example "contaminates the genepool" if they decide to procreate. how does gay marriage affect society in a negative way?

18. johnheath

johnheath Member

Shows his true colors? Are you insinuating that Frist somehow kept this opinion hidden, despite the fact that the majority of Americans probably support him?

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I meant the idea for Frist to make this an issue.
    He's the Senate Majority Leader. Frist can insure that this gets bounced around the Hill when there are other, more important things to work on. At least in my opinion. Geez, what a load of crap.

20. outlaw

outlaw Member

What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.

can you reconcile the hypocrisy that Timing pointed out? (ie sodomy is a state issue but marriage is a federal one)