1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Suns say Ebi not ready for the NBA"

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by rainmaker, Jun 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mfclark

mfclark Member

One mock draft I saw today (FoxSports) has Ebi pegged in the late teens - specifically 18 to New Orleans - with the possibility of Golden State taking him in a mild upset at 11.

Mild upset? That'd be the shocker of the draft! I don't buy it, but who knows with the Warriors.

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I hope Detroit takes him at 25. They've got the time to develop him and don't have a desperate need to fill with that pick.

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

They definately have time to develop him, but they have a need at shooting guard, where they are likely to let Jon Barry walk, leaving only Richard Hamilton.

Plus, in the frontcourt, they have Wallace, Robinson, Milicic, Okur, and Rebraca. They really don't have a need for another frontcourt player right now...

I think Ebi's best shot for the 1st round is San Antonio or Dallas at the very end of the round; otherwise, it's likely off to rd2.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I'm pretty sure they could get a backup SG somewhere other than the draft. And they're gonna be trading a couple of those big guys and/or buying them out (besides, Ebi is a SF not a PF or C).

5. mfclark

mfclark Member

They probably could, but I think they'd much rather pay someone on the rookie scale than sign someone in free agency. Dumars has been excellent in managing their cap situation via all routes and I feel the draft is much more likely.

I did slip up and peg Ebi as a PF again, but though Detroit could use a small forward, I think they are looking for more of a natural fit at the position & someone who can contribute immediately. In fact, they may try to find a swingman to fill both SG and SF...and Ebi can't do that.

Just my opinion, though.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Det is a bad fit for Ebi. They already have a highly-skilled string-bean SF in Prince.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don't trust the Suns anyway. Amare Stoudamire's final pre-draft workout was with the Suns. As a result of that workout, Amare had a pulled shoulder and could work out for no other teams. Hmn.

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Ditto on all those comments. That said, why are you a dumbass?

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

That's not a reason to not trust the Suns; in fact, Amare showed his trust in them because they made him a promise to select him. It happens with a lot of players, especially Europeans. In fact, the Suns may have done it again with Zarko Cabarkapa. The Magic should've done it with Jason Williams in '98, as his agent says they refused to do.

But, in the end, I don't think they'd (the Suns) select someone they refused to workout.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Actually he hurt it working out with the Rockets.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Really? I stand corrected. Unless: "I must have hurt my shoulder working out for the Rockets, and I'm just making it worse with additional workouts."

Of course, the Rockets could have used such a ruse in hoping Amare would drop to #15. Could you imagine?

The point is, I don't trust info that teams put out about players. There's a lot of disinformation out there.

When asked a few years ago by a TNT analyst, "How much lying goes on at this time of year?", Lenny Wilkens smiled and said, "A lot."

Last year, Jerry West, when asked about Yao Ming: "#1? I don't know, he's more like a #7 pick."

Later we learn he had been trying really hard to move up and acquire Yao.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Ebi barely stayed in the 1st round and at best will get like a 4 year/5 million contract. Big mistake, with solid development of hsi body physically at Arizona this year he could have easily got a contract double or triple the size next year as a rookie. He got terrible advice, I won't route against him, but as an Arizona fan it won't bother me too much either if he busts and this is the last NBA contract he ever gets for not giving them even 1 year.