1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

any WiiU owners here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vaioavan63, Nov 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm more or less a "retired" PC gamer, but I always only had nintendo consoles.
    I started getting the itch to get back into some gaming and was thinking about just getting a 360...I had ruled out WiiU, but now i'm second guessing myself.

I loved FPS on PCs but definitely really enjoyed the gameplay of nintendo's classics.

#21 DonkeyMagic, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Don't get a 360. I would suggest a WiiU but whatever your choice make sure it is current gen.

3. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I wasn't planning on getting a Wii U given the horrible things I've heard about it. However, seeing some of the comments here I've changed my mind. I prefer classic and simple gameplay over graphics. The price is reasonable too. I bought my Gamecube and Wii a few years after they were released for $125 for both systems. Looks like the Wii U has been out long enough for it to stabilize.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

WiiU no question.

Personally, I'd get a PS3 over a 360 if I was going older gen. I'm an Xbox guy, but that is primarily for Halo, which will require XB1 moving forward.

5. juicystream

I did the same. It was the free WW that made me pull the trigger on MK8.

I don't recall seeing any great deals from BB/Wal-Mart/Target on the WiiU for BF. Gamestop figures to be the best chance left if they do a deal on used/refurb. Personally, I bought mine on CL back in March for $200 and the guy had several games with it.

6. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Mario Kart 8 looks amazing
    Mario 3d World is awesome
    I am planning to get bayonetta 2 but I am waiting for a good deal.
    Although the deal right now at target is pretty good. Buy 2 games get 1 free. Every game no restrictions. Xbox, PS3/4 Wii U.

Play xenoblade, I am about 1/4 of the way through its a pretty good RPG so far.

7. Bandwagoner

WiiU is a great system that just gets dismissed because it isn't as powerful as the PS4, and the tablet controller has not worked out. It is cheaper, gives you access to Nintendo's great IP, and games like MK8 look as good as anything on current gen systems.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you still use the tablet controller or do you revert to the wii controller?

9. juicystream

I only use a Wii Motion controller when forced to. I like playing with the Pro Contoller or tablet controller depending on the game.

1 person likes this.
  10. epicbeardabe

epicbeardabe Contributing Member

I love my wii u and it probably has the best library for current gen systems right now. It also has a lot coming down the pipe (smash, capt. toad, zelda, splatoon, etc.).

But the biggest problem with it is that there are going to be a lot of droughts due to the lack of third party support. If you don't mind missing big third party games (COD, Batman Arkham Knight, Assassins Creed) and don't mind months with few titles to choose from, then you'll be happy with the console.

The indie lineup is getting better too, so that's a plus

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I'm guessing you mean CraigsList? I took a look on there and really couldn't find anything but I didn't look that hard tho. May take another looksee but the $200 refurb from Nintendo is probably going to be what I do and then just buy Smash bro(hopefully the bundle) over BF

12. juicystream

Yeah, Craigslist. I had been monitoring it a while. I too was going to get the refurbished one from Nintendo before I got lucky on CL.

13. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I have actually enjoyed the WiiU gamepad. And one thing that gets overlooked is that Wii U games run at 60FPS, which is a night and day difference from 30fps. I hear that the "remastered" GTA V on PS4 with its fancier graphics will only run at 30fps.

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I rather have a game like GTA V at 30 fps vs no GTA V (on WiiU) at all.

I agree that 60 fps makes a difference and would prefer games to have slightly worse graphics for better fps. When I say slightly worse, I don't mean Super Nintendo graphics for 60 fps. You know why games run 60 fps on Wii U and why a lot of blockbuster games aren't released on Wii U right?

15. vaioavan63

You really think so? Wii U looks and plays awesome on my 55" screen at 720p and 60FPS with no noticeable input lag at all. I'm not sure if some of you are serious when comparing Wii U to Super NES graphics or if it's a weak attempt to take a stab at 2D sidescrollers. But that's ok, 2D sidescrollers never looked so good in HD and at 60fps.

#35 vaioavan63, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  16. Bandwagoner

I just don't find it useful. They have the ageold problem of excluding players who don't have them if they integrate it into games.

17. vaioavan63

I own a PS4 and I bought The Last of Us Remastered (60fps) and wow, what a butter smooth difference from its PS3 (30fps) sibling. That being said, I have no interest in playing GTA V if it runs at 30fps. Fancier graphics won't convince me. 30fps is just whack.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm at a bit of a loss. We've always bought game consoles for our kids, but I'm a PC gamer myself, mostly RTS's. Now one kid is graduated and living on his own (he's a PC gamer, god bless him, and he also plays a Playstation 4), and the other is out of town, a freshman at college. So no Wii (the kid at college took it with her), and no "Dad, I'd like a WiiU for Christmas!" either since it came out. I enjoy some of the Nintendo games, like Super Mario and Pikmin (still can't find Pikmin 2, which is supposed to be good, but is seemingly non-existent), and would enjoy playing a WiiU from time to time, but not enough to buy one for myself (I'd rather spend the bread upgrading my graphics card).

My kids have grown up - help! Any ideas? We're empty nesters now and keep ourselves entertained, but we can't spend every moment in the sack. We aren't John and Yoko, dammit. Should I be an idiot and get myself a WiiU for Christmas just to play 3 or 4 games?

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I vote yes, because I've only played about 5-6 games on my PS4. 3-4 games on my Wii U and 1 game on my Xbone. Just because there's only 3-4 games you're interested in now, doesn't mean more games won't be released in the future. By the end of the generation in 4-5 years, those 2-3 games might end up being 10-12 games.

Btw, why would you be an idiot? $299 for a console that lasts 6-7 years is a tremendous value. I know people who upgrade their iphones every year...that's what I would call an idiot.

20. vaioavan63

Yes, and i wish everyone would appreciate that Nintendo does'nt release a game unless it meets their quality standards. How many of you had had to deal with release day patches and DLC on the other consoles because of a rushed product?