1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christopher Nolan's New Film: INTERSTELLAR

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It was a decent movie. I enjoyed the journey but it was definitely clunky at times, especially the dialogue. The dialogue was either too expository or too "poetic", which was off-putting. Visuals were gorgeous, the soundtrack was overbearing at times like it was a horror movie but it was mostly okay. I think the ending is going to be very polarizing to the general audience.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

its one of those movies that might require watching more than once to fully 'get'

that or it's just not that good. i cant tell with these movies sometimes.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I actually thought it was a fairly exceptional movie until the ending.

I'm simply not a big fan of metaphysics to begin with, but i can tolerate it when used right. This just created too many inconsistencies IMO. I personally would have preferred more of a 2001 type ending with McConaughey's character while Hathaway's character dealt with a more of a traditional ending.

Overall I still liked it, but it's just not up to Nolan's usual excellence.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

felt like they were trying too hard with the dialogue at times. Lots of preaching going on. But good movie. 7.5/10

Man did the black dude get screwed. Essentially stuck waiting alone for 23 years only to blow up and die.

5. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good, not great movie. I'm a huge movie fan. I'd say that individual parts of the movie reached the heights of his best work if not surpassed them, but the sum of the parts didn't stand up as well. The visuals were amazing, the score was different than usual Zimmer stuff but intriguing, and the scope of the movie was as epic as you could get. Dialogue was a bit stiff, and the plot was inconsistent (and at times, bordered on unbelievable...not the science part but the character reactions).

Ranking the Nolan films:
    1. Memento
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. The Prestige
    4. The Dark Knight Rises
    5. Following
    6. Inception
    7. Batman Begins
    8. Insomnia

I'd say it slots in around the 5-7 range. Need to see it again.

In particular, the time spent on the water planet, plus their return to the ship after 23 years and the immediate aftermath was amazing to watch. Truly great film-making.

#225 SC1211, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. watashi315

watashi315 Member

You have got to be kidding me...the Dark Knight Rises is #4?? That movie had so many plot holes in it, you could walk a whole army through it.

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Yeah, I would rate Batman Begins higher and DKR lower. Also, Prestige is Nolan's #2 film for me.

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well I loved it, including the dialogue for the most part. Thought the pacing was just fine and the score was a perfect complement to the different scenes in the movie. Of course visually it's spectacular. Maybe it's not quite as smart as it's trying to be, but it's thought provoking enough.

I though agree the ending did feel a bit rushed and tacked on.
    Part of me felt he should have died going through the black hole, but I wouldn't be able to accept an ending that didn't allow him to reunite with his daughter. And then I also felt his reintroduction to humanity wasn't as emotionally jarring enough. He had been gone about 90 years and he seemed to adjust rather quickly. Didn't even ask about his son and grandson, or the state of earth. I get that the story was centered around him and his daughter, but it would have been nice to see those things.
    . But a few minor complaints aside, I thought it was a pretty incredible movie.

9. blink

blink Contributing Member

6/10, probably one of nolan's worse movies. even trying to suspend belief, it was hard to get into. i love space travel and was excited that this might inspire people but it failed.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5/10

Too long. Too much techno-babble speak.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rotten Tomatoes has it about right. Cristopher Nolan is a decent director, and while all his films are entertaining, I can't help but feel that they are often muddled and weighed down.

Decent Sci-Fi, better than Prometheus and Gravity in my opinion.

Anne Hathaway is annoying as always, and Matt Damon is given literally nothing to work with as far as his character goes.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

See I don't have a problem with Anne Hathaway. She's a good actress, though nothing spectacular I guess. But it did get me to thinking. You put Sandra Bullock's character from Gravity into Hathaway's role, and Bullock blows her performance away. And that's not a slight on Hathaway, just Bullock's performance was that good imo.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Didn't have much of a problem with Hathaway in the movie either, though that speech on love she gave was downright cringe-worthy.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I pretty much agree with this. I really enjoyed the movie and found it to have left plot holes that I had expected. The movie did drag a little bit at the beginning but it really took off (pun intended) once it went it out into space.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was just thinking about one small thing that is bothering me about the movie.
    The rangers / landing craft they fly down to planets are very capable of reaching escape velocity including from a planet with higher gravity than the Earth but when they first leave Earth they have to use a multi-stage rocket.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Well they did have limited fuel so it would make sense to use a rocket to leave Earth to save as much fuel as possible.

17. ths balla

ths balla Member

Really enjoyed the movie, was entertained from beginning to end.

Slight complaint...

how did the guy who was waiting for them for 23 years have enough food to last him that long?

Also, Damon's character says something to the tune of he had been waiting so long that he put himself to sleep without setting a date to awaken assuming he had been there a long time. But an hour on his planet accounts for multiple years on earth, so he could not have been waiting there for more than a few hours right?

18. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

He was in and out of suspended animation.

Damon's character's planet was at a different distance from the black hole so time moves differently there than on that water planet.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That would make sense except that there is no need for a multi-stage rocket the size of the Saturn V. They could've just strapped on an external fuel tank for the Ranger and then jettisoned that once they reached orbit like how modern jet fighters can carry external fuel tanks that they jettison for long missions.

This is more of a nit pick and I think the Saturn V looking rocket was more for dramatic effect.

20. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Enjoyed the movie. I looked up the science online and they say its one of the most accurate hard science fictions movies to date. One thing I couldn't find info on is...
    can gravity really travel backwards in time? Are we experiencing gravity now from the future? Where is there more info on this?