1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets release Jeff Adrien, Ish Smith (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was surprised daywalker wrote that. He is normally quite level headed. Lin is the only one I can think of.

That said, there are some players we let go ended up becoming much more valuable. Guys like Lowry and Dragic come to mind. In fact, while we are happy about Ariza's performance so far, he is also a retread.

I have always complained about Morey's revolving door personnel policy. I do understand and am glad that our GM is constantly trying to improve the team. But the "chemistry" criticism is not totally without merit. Three rotation players from last years have been gone. DMo and Garcia are the only significant bench guys left (if you can call Garcia "significant"). All others are new faces. This has been happening every year for the past 5 or 6 years.

I don't think the fact that we still haven't gone past the 2nd round should be all on Morey. But it is understandable for people to perceive that we are running in circles.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

shaun livingston and to a lesser degree, e'twaun moore, were both productive after we cut them……and are an upgrade over canaan at this point…..but can't really complain too much about that

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Livingston would be an upgrade, but he was also a FA this offseason and we could have just as easily signed him, but of course we were going for big fish.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

I agree completely. Besides, Cisco does not look like he is hard-on for playing time and opportunities, which means he could've hung around as an assistant coach or something, and then if a roster spot opened up because of a trade or injury get signed up again. Enjoy H-town lifestyle for a few months with opportunity to double-dip later in the year.

Adrien, OTOH is gonna sign up somewhere to play; he may not even clear up waivers...

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

So sad for Adrien. It made me angry. I bet we will miss his toughness.

6. Eddy F.

Eddy F. Member

7. pass_to_Hakeem

Harden isn't playing 3 .. ever!

8. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

we have a lot of undersized bigs.

9. basketballholic

LOL at Moore being an upgrade to Canaan. Double LOL.

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

DAMNIT WHY ADRIEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I'm legit pissed/sad/frustrated we let go Adrien.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Adrien ain't anything special but damn is he consistent and productive on a per minute basis. It's amazing he can't seem to stick anywhere. Hard to understand why we cut him given the inconsistency of the other 4's on our roster.

Cutting ish and Cov made sense I guess. Garcia will be riding serious pine all year...hopefully...because I think he's done.

13. juicystream

Canaan was terrible last year.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

Our "trash" is going to be another team's treasure. Hopefully Adrien doesn't go to another contender in the West.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Beverley, Canaan, Johnson
    Harden, Terry, Daniels
    Ariza, Papaniko, Garcia
    Jones, Motiejunas, Capela
    Howard, Black, Dorsey

Smith and Adrian deserved to make the team more then Dorsey and Garcia, but hey it is what it is.

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

and so was JLIN. your point? it's a new year. Why are you looking back in the past??

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

a lot of players im sure "deserve" to make the team, but they were going for better fit and interchangeable pieces. Smith can only play the 1, and he can't shoot very well. With their second unit, you are going to need some firepower (like LIN) brought. Do you want to have a passer (smith) and a couple finishers like PAP and DMO? What happens when lane gets clogged up? You gonna just bomb from 3 with Daniels? What If he's off? Id rather have Canaan, as lacking as he is in court vision. Canaan can score. If things get bogged down with 2nd unit, then he can go hero mode and try to score. That's what he's good at.

I'm not crying over ISH. at the first two games I was thinking damn he's pretty good. as the preseason went on, it didnt' look so great.

18. juicystream

Lin wasn't terrible, he just wasn't great.

Canaan didn't belong in the NBA.

The past is the best indicator of future performance.

19. delishman

delishman Member

Sample size.. Dorsey has it.

Bring back Alex Scales.

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Cut Adrien was a big mistake!!!