1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Stereos

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Jun 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Ok, time to look for something new for the car. Factory just ain't cutting it. Wanted to get some opinions on good deals available.

I'm just looking for something relatively simple, as I'm not knowledgeable enough on system specs. I want to spend somewhere under 200 bucks on an in-dash receiver if I can help it.

So far I'm looking at either this JVC:

http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL026999&page=2

[​IMG]

or this Sony:

http://sm.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...&c=3&g=62700&I=158CDXMP40&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

[​IMG]

Anyone have either of these? Suggestions? Anything better?

2. distence

distence Contributing Member

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

hey distence got a question. Does the stereo continue the song (with an MP3 CD) when you turn on/off the car? Example, when you get out your car and its in the middle of a song, does it continue where it left off when you get back in your car? or does it start from the beginning of the song? I had the Aiwa CDC-MP32 but it got stolen a few weeks back and looking to replace it. The Aiwa didnt have the continous feature and the song played from the beginning again. Thanks in advance.

4. distence

i havent had a chance to make a mp3 yet so i really couldnt tell ya. i probably will get around to make a mp3 cd tonight and once i get the results i will let u know.

5. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

i just got a pioneer in-dash MP3 player that kicks butt... If you burn your own CD's, I would definately consider getting a car stereo that plays MP3's too... or at least one that has inputs so that you can hook up your own personal MP3 player to it.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rokkit, didn't you get a 350Z or was that somebody else?

7. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

i'd say the kenwood excelon X917 , but thats my opinion, its badass , oh and it didnt hurt that I have it also

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I wish. :D No, that was somebody else...

9. distence

dave2000 - it does pick up where it left off when you are listening to mp3s. it seems like a takes a little time the reading the CD-R but this might caused by cheap CD-Rs.

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i'm just going to say if you plan on having someone install your cd player then i recommend Mobile One.

I got a 10 disc changer, a box with 2 tens, an amp installed for only 160 bucks.

Best Buy, circuit city and about 5 other places wanted 250 to 300 bucks to do the exact same thing.

but if you decide to buy your cd player there, for like 200, 250 bucks they install it for a buck.

11. Dave2000

Cool, thanks. Just may pick it up myself.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I have that JVC and I like it. It does skip however when I hit a bump, etc.

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Records will do that.

14. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I'm going to advise against Mobile One.... they installed my first after market stereo, an Alpine... they used a crappy face plate with a pocket that was virtually useless, it was so narrow you could fit ONE cd case in there and my hand would not fit if i lost something in the pocket. They also failed to mount the stereo properly. EVERYTIME I hit a bump, even small ones, the player would skip. When I got my 2nd car stereo the people at Circuit City couldn't believe that my old stereo wasn't bolted down to anything in my dash, it was just kind of hanging in there with the face plate holding it up... Circuit City mounted it with a bracket that holds it in place... unless you are dropping big bucks at Mobile One, I don't think they really care about your business.

just my 2ยข

15. Dave2000

Hey distence,

Did u pay for Installation? or did u get someone to do it for you? I went over to CC today and they were going to charge $45 to install the radio to my car. They said that they usually have free installation but are charging this week cause most of their decks are on sale.

16. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i had my cd player installed at circuit city for free. But the added stuff like the box of 10's and amp and cd changer were done by mobile one and they did a great job on those.

17. distence

dave

the price of installation should be included. i paid $199 for my unit which included installation. what they did on my reciept was charge me $164.99 and $35 for installation. They said they had to do it that way to show that they did the installation. So really I didnt pay for installation. I went back yesterday and got a price adjustment of $20. Which CC did you go too? I bought mine at the galleria store. What you can do is call them first and ask them does the $179 price include installation. What they might do is charge you $134 for the unit and $45 for installation so you will still end up paying $179. They are also going to make you pay for a kit and harness which is like an extra $30. The total price I paid for everything (tax, extra parts) came out to be around $246 thats with the price adjustment. If they say yes ask for the name of the person you talked too and if they try to charge you for installation just tell them that one of their reps said installation was included.

18. Dave2000

Actually, that was the location I went to, Galleria one on San Felipe. I was there at around 7pm. Dont remember the guy who i was talking to but he was playing NBA Street on the little Mobile TV displays.

19. Dave2000

[​IMG]

Bought the JVC KD-S890 today at Fry's for $150. Not bad, but I still liked my last stereo, although this has a bit more features. This has a removeable faceplate so, I have to get used to detaching/attaching the thing as oppose to my automatic flipface Aiwa one that got stolen a few weeks back.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Every time I see this thread title, I think it says Cat Stevens.