1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Ha, my wife works there as well and I picked up on the $2 lunch comment.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

If its $2, why not just make it free? #showerthoughts

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

$2 lunches?! I get raped every day at the salad bar and spend about $10 total a day for breakfast and lunch without any drinks.

This is bad timing for a lot of us. Bonus and raise decisions are coming up! :(

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

#AintWorriedBoutNothin

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Good post. I'd only add that most politically savvy fans of alternative energy merely ask that our national and state governments take a firm stand on climate change, and that major steps on the level of a Manhattan Project are undertaken to lay the ground for alternative energy becoming much cheaper and effective in replacing hydrocarbon energy.

Currently, special interests and lobbying from the O&G industry have silenced certain state and Washington legislators from discussing this topic and/or not allowing the requisite funding. The good news is some states like TX and CA have used windpower regardless of a national directive. However, other like LA and WY aren't. Unfortunately, some states are only backing one type like wind while disregarding solar or nuclear. Coordination is needed.

6. dragician

dragician Member

Saudi and US are conspiring to bring down China and Russia. That's brilliant OBAMA!.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

China? hmmm, how so?

Russia, Iran and Venezuela sure. Burgeoning solar industry competition, yes.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I work in Times Sq NYC.

Breakfast $5 - check
    Lunch $10 to $15 - check

Also no drinks here

9. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

From Rigzone:

http://rigzonenews.wordpress.com/2014/10/15/the-oil-price-and-the-age-of-gas/

For the past four years, the oil and gas industry has enjoyed a period during which the price of oil has been relatively high. Oil trading at $100 per barrel and above has benefited not just those companies who operate established fields, boosting their profit margins, but also firms who are involved in more ambitious projects that demand a high oil price in order for those projects to be commercial.

A high oil price has also benefited the supply chain. As more companies drill for oil, there is more demand for rigs and the personnel needed to operate them.

However, the last few months has seen the price of oil decline along with the stock of publicly-listed companies that are involved in the sector.

During the first week of October, Brent crude fell to $88 a barrel – its lowest price since December 2010 – while West Texas Intermediate dropped to a 17-month low. Meanwhile, the FTSE350 Oil & Gas index – a basket of mid-sized and larger oil and gas companies whose shares are listed in London – has fallen approximately 10 percent over the past three months; this index is also 6.1 percent down on the start of the year.

The question for those of us involved in the oil and gas industry is whether this is a temporary blip or something more permanent about worldwide energy demand and the mix of fuels used to meet this demand.

Currently, there are several factors that seem likely to be having an effect on the price of oil. There is continuing uncertainty about economic growth in the West and the East. There is the conflict involving the so-called Islamic State in the Middle East (although production stoppages there should be providing some upward pressure on prices). And the threat of the Ebola virus could end up disrupting the travel industry, particularly as Ebola appears to be no longer confined to just a few West African countries.

These are all (hopefully) temporary problems that will sooner or later be resolved. And, of course, there is the chance that OPEC will choose to collectively cut oil production at its next meeting in November.

But there is also the question of whether oil as a fuel may have had its day.

Last December I spoke to Michael Farina, Fuels Market Intelligence Leader at GE, who had been involving in writing a report that made a strong case that the start of an “Age of Gas” was just a decade or so away.

Gas production has been on the increase with, for example, Royal Dutch Shell plc becoming a “gas company” rather than an “oil company” in 2012 as its gas assets overtook its oil assets. The shale gas boom in the United States is playing its part but also there has been an increase in mega-gas projects, leading to rapid growth in liquefied natural gas exports. On the demand side, GE anticipates global gas consumption by 2025 increasing by one-third over 2013 levels.

This is because as pipelines and other infrastructure designed to support gas increase it will find its way into all sorts of applications. Natural gas-fuelled cars, for example, may supplant petrol and diesel-driven vehicles – particularly in developing economies such as China.

Amid a collapsing oil price this is all food for thought. OPEC could well decide at its meeting next month to slash oil production in order to boost prices, but doesn’t that play into the hands of the gas enthusiasts?

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Crude broke $75 today. Was down almost 4% today.

11. dmc89

dmc89 Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...om-four-year-low-as-opec-meets-on-output.html

Brent, WTI Slump to 4-Year Low as OPEC Keeps Quota Steady

I'm amazed by the number of people in this town who told me that Saudi would reverse its position after this OPEC meeting. I told them they were in denial; prices are heading into the low 60s imo which doesn't bode well for our country's energy industry or our city.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Where are the conservatives who blamed Obama for high gas prices before? This is why no one takes Fox News seriously.

13. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Not everyone is attached to the oil industry. We good.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

because Obama had zero impact on the shale gas/oil revolution in the US.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Didn't stop conservatives from blaming him when they were high. This whole pick a side political game is so trite.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Where are all the liberals blaming traders and oil companies for high prices

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lmao get a clue brah

Obama's had restrictive policies around drilling and completely overreacted after Macondo.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I got a hefty bonus because of the drop in oil! I work in Plastics!

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not worried about Houston, or the oil industry.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

A. Don't lecture me about the oil industry. I know plenty. Respond with tact or don't respond at all.

B. What exactly does "restrictive policies around drilling" even mean in context to what we're talking about? We've just witnessed the greatest renaissance in oil drilling in our country's history. We're now producing more oil than we ever have - how has his policies "restricted" domestic drilling. Better yet, how would an even less restrictive policy on "drilling" be a net positive for the industry right now?

Bruh.

1 person likes this.