1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey ($1.93 mil 2-year, guaranteed) cut
    Josh Powell ($1,310,286 2-year, non-guaranteed) cut
    Isaiah Canaan ($2.33 mil 3-year, guaranteed)
    Robert Covington ($816,482 1-year, partially guaranteed for $150,000) cut
    Francisco Garcia (1.3 mil 1-year, $915,243 cap hold)
    Akil Mithell ($507,336 1-year, partially guaranteed for $150,000, camp invite) cut
    Ish Smith ($981,000 1-year guaranteed) cut
    Tarik Black ($1.35 mil 2-year, non-guaranteed)
    Jeff Adrien ($981,000 1-year guaranteed)

1 Bev
    2 Harden
    3 Ariza
    4 Jones
    5 Howard
    6 Terry
    7 Pap
    8 D-Mo
    9 Nick Johnson
    10 Clint Capela
    11 Troy Daniels
    12 Francisco Garcia
    13 Isaiah Canaan
    14 Tarik Black
    15 Jeff Adrien

1 person likes this.
  2. old_eggplant

old_eggplant Member

Fully agree!

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I agree now - this is the way to go, though I expected more from Dorsey. Black beat him out as did Adrien.

4. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Sorry, you're mostly talking about the AMOUNT of experience. I took your post to be the equivalent of, "past experience isn't an important indicator."

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

this looks good.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

How much Garcia played better than Dorsey in the preseason to make you believe that Morey want to carry a dead cap of 1 mil next year to let Dorsey go, while also telling the whole world he made a smart ass mistake to pull Dorsey from Europe and then cut him before even played a single meaningful game?

7. anchel

anchel Member

Dorsey needs to practice. Let's wait, this is not playoff time, it worths the try.
    I very much doubt he's waived in the end.

I think Garcia has nice chances.

8. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Try to find a taker in a trade for Canaan or cut Ish Smith. Neither is good enough to be in a (playoff) rotation so we probably have to find the backup PG later anyway.

If Jason Terry could suit up right now, I think there would be a good chance of Cisco being cut. If we don't have a role for Garcia, I think we would let him find another team as a thank you for opting out of his contract this summer. Since Terry is a mystery, Garcia probably stays even if Tr3y Daniels and Papanikolau take most(?) of his minutes.

Joey Dorsey might not be individually better player than Adrien or even Tarik Black but other than Dwight Howard, he is the only one who can even adequately anchor the defense at the 5 spot. We have seen that neither Jones nor D-Mo can do that, Black and Capela are rookies (a big no-no), and Adrien is more of a 4 anyway. Dorsey also has that 2-year contract guaranteed.

There will be backup PGs available by trade, defensive centers are more scarce and cost is usually too high.

So, the cuts are:

1. Mitchell
    2. Powell
    3. Covington
    4. Canaan (trade?) or Ish
    5. Adrien or Garcia

Capela, Black and Nick Johnson to the D-League.

9. benchmoochie

for the time being capella could go on IR and they could keep Dorsey while trying to figure out some trades to unload some extra pieces.

10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I agree with this though I think Ish is the odd man out at PG. Canann's ability to shoot the ball will get him on the roster. His defense is not as good as Ish but it isn't that far off either. Backup PG will the ability to get VERY hot from the 3pt line is valuable.

I also take Adrien over Garcia, I like Garcia but I think Adrien as an upside that Garcia does not.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Black is playing better than Dorsey right now... but Black is an undrafted rookie.

Would the Rockets really have an undrafted rookie handle back-up center duties?

12. benchmoochie

depends how many minutes a game is split into dmo at the 5 and the undrafted rookie.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i smell a trade coming

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Exactly.

I think that's why they'll probably keep Dorsey over a guy like Jeff Adrien, who would probably be behind Jones, D-Mo and on occasions K-pap, in the depth chart.

15. cdrive

I've seemed to hit a nerve with a few people with the idea of cutting Dorsey. What gives? Why are a few people so hyped on Joey freaking Dorsey? I mean, I even looked up Dorsey's hometown to make sure it wasn't Houston for some stint of time like I was unknowingly coaxing high school homeboys and family members out from the woodwork to defend him.

I just remember our 1st round with Dorsey. He was exciting cause of his physique, but his performance on the court was lackluster. When we signed him again, I thought "Ok this is one of those genius Morey moves where he spots something no one else in the NBA has a la Bev." Cause I'm a big Morey fan and I want to believe. Optimist to a fault, right here. But in the past 3 months I haven't heard any good things about him. Then he gets injured with the same plantar fasciitis thing that hobbled him in his 1st Rockets go-run. Then we got this Tarik Black youngster playing out of his mind juxtaposed to Dorsey playing, granted only 2 games, but playing like straight up butt juice. (no offense).

I mean, this guy is goaltending on a shot obviously not going in, as in, clanked below and beside the rim. He goes and smacks it to the backboard again after it's bounced off, and for what? To show he's a shotblocker that almost got that one? Then he must have missed about 4 easy putbacks last night that were directly under the basket. He just goofed them by rushing.

I don't have an agenda against Dorsey, not that you're suggesting that, but it just seems like he's the odd man out given what we got.

#1. Garcia was great for us 2012-2013. Last year he was bad, but he was injured. His FIBA performance clearly proved that he is healthy again; and therefore, a valuable veteran.

#2. I've been excited about Jeff Adrien since we signed him. He really developed his game at the end of last season. Diehard Bucks fans were really upset when they lost him because they felt like they developed him, but now another team was collecting the dividends on the guy. So that was a good indication. He's undersized, but he plays tough. He could be Landry-esque. And he's had a very good preseason.

#3. Tarik Black played good in the Summer League. And now in the preseason he is simply outstanding. Blocks, Steals, Rebounds, Alley oops, Dunks, Intimidations, always doing something good.

Morey signed all these guys knowing he would have to cut someone that had guaranteed money. There's no way around it, as I understand it. The whole "cut and Viper sign" like Covington won't work for these particular individuals.

If we do end up keeping Dorsey, then I hope you and he prove me wrong, I truly do. And I pray to God that Tarik Black doesn't become this year's Casspi (i.e. amazing preseason run followed by a scrub performance in the regular season)

1 person likes this.
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Garcia is horrible last year, not any better than Casspi, in fact could be worse, at least Casspi can give you some minutes out there.

Also, FIBA performance means almost NOTHING, especially when you are playing in a bad team and keep jacking up shots, Andray Blatche had god like performance not still not getting a NBA contract.

No matter how bad you think Dorsey had look, at least there is needs for this position and always a big body for 6 more fouls is a good insurance.

For Garcia? Other than any kind of emotional factor or whatsoever, exactly what can he contribute to this team now?

17. cdrive

Garcia is horrible last year, not any better than Casspi, in fact could be worse, at least Casspi can give you some minutes out there.
    Yes, that's what I said. I said Garcia was bad last year. He was also injured. He was great for us 2 years ago when he wasn't injured.
    Also, FIBA performance means almost NOTHING, especially when you are playing in a bad team and keep jacking up shots, Andray Blatche had god like performance not still not getting a NBA contract.
    See this is the "easy out" that always irks me. If FIBA, summer tourneys, summer league, practice, and preseason don't matter, then why go through with it all? Truth is these are extremely valuable opportunities to gauge a player's progress. In this case, I simply noted you could see Garcia was no longer nagged by injury. There's no longer an internal thing holding him back. I don't care if it's Bruce Bowen or Gary Coleman guarding you. If an injury is affecting your release, lift, etc, then that's the only thing that matters, not the level of competition.
    No matter how bad you think Dorsey had look, at least there is needs for this position and always a big body for 6 more fouls is a good insurance.
    We are actually thinner in the middle than anywhere else, at least in terms of bodies. We're stacked up with guards, and bigs. As for SFs we have Ariza, Pap and Garcia. That's it.
    For Garcia? Other than any kind of emotional factor or whatsoever, exactly what can he contribute to this team now?
    Emotion, yes. As in toughness. Also veteran leadership. But in terms of scoreboard? 3's and defense. Also he can drive and has a jumpshot.

And really I don't care that much. If you haaaaaave to have Dorsey, then I would think Adrien is your odd man out more so than Garcia. Just way too many bigs: TJ, D-Mo, Howard, Dorsey, Adrien, Black, Capela.

Good discussion and comments from you, by the way. Cheers.

18. jm434

jm434 Contributing Member

cant agree more. i was expecting dorsey to bring a completely different skillset after years abroad, however what i saw was pretty much the same old dorsey when we first drafted him. adrien has been playing decent, but the biggest surprise is def black who imo will end up backing up dwight (playing alongside dmo). and he seems to be a very humble person (from his tweets on media day and his post game interview).

19. One Mic

One Mic Member

Some great arguments from cddrive.

I think that Dorsey needs a little more time. He played 2 games after being out for quite some time. Maybe I'm wrong, but let's not write him off just yet. I also like Black and Adrien and would hate to loose either of them. To me the worst of the bunch is actually Motiejunas. The amount of close range shots that he misses after a good move or open three pointers that clank out. He really frustrates me and this is his 3rd season. I also watched him in the world cup and he was no better there. NBA players usually dominate this tournaments like Valanciunas or Dragic did. No progress from him whatsoever. I hope we trade him for 2nd rounder and move on with Dwight/Jones/Adrien/Black/Dorsey in whichever order or use them like the matchups dictate.

20. bmd

bmd Member

Dorsey looks like he doesn't know where to be on the floor out there.

That's not good.