1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could we acquire a future first rounder for Bev?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Oct 8, 2014.

Tags:
?

Is Bev worth a first rounder?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  3. Maybe, if combined with other talent (not Dwight or Harden)

21 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Really? You think another NBA team would pay him 35-40million over 4 years? 8-10 million annually? He's a good PG but he hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of payday. I can't see Morey paying Beverley that much money. I can see Morey giving Reggie Jackson that kind of contract though.. :p:):grin:

2. koopa

koopa Member

Beverley is a terrific defender. But i far from being starting pg material. The reason being he's one dimensional and only great at defense. That just doesnt cut it as a starting nba pg

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

he is not getting a contract worth that much. stop overrating him.

4. basketballholic

Look at the contracts passed out to players like Parsons, Hayward, and Bledsoe (and others) this summer. Then factor in a salary cap increase up to 66.5 million and possibly up to over 70 million.

Is Morey going to let a mini -Parsons situation develop again? I think it's foolish not to consider what potential free agents are going to get in free agency. And I think it's extremely foolish to project Bev at less than 4/28. And based on what happened this summer I think 4/32 is probably the low end for Bev.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

beverley is not in the same class as those players so realistically its not foolish at all.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Forget what contract offers SF's got this year. Its a completely different market.

Look at what KEY ROTATION backup PG's & supporting role playing starter PG's got this year. This is going to be Beverley's market comparables that ANY GM will use to value Beverley's contract offers. Guys, unlike some people on here, GM's actually have a system to figuring out contract values, and don't just pull numbers out of their a#$.

Backups or supporting (non-all-star level) starters.

-DJ Augustin - 3 mil per
    -Bayless- 3 mil per
    -Blake- 2.1 mil per
    -Chalmers - 4.15 mil per
    -Collison - 5 mil per
    -D. Harris - 4 mil per
    -Hinrich - 2.8 per
    -Livingston - 5.5 mil per
    -P. Mills - 3.3 mil per
    -J. Nelson - 3 mil per
    -I. Thomas- 6.7 mil per

So the average salary of all these players is 3.868 mil per on average.

Since Beverley has intangibles that will possibly make him more popular among GM's looking to add him next Summer, I could see a GM offering above his market comparable to secure him early in free agency, but I under no circumstances see him getting above any and every comparable from last year.

Even with a cap increase, at best, I could see Beverley getting (with a clean bill health) around 5 mil per, and will probably only be about 3 years in length.

So let's just STOP the talk about Morey wanting to move Beverley just simply because he's afraid of what he's going to get offered in free agency next year. Also leaving out the fact that he's RESTRICTED with a super low cap hold. Unless his agent becomes Dan Fegen I wouldn't care much at all about Beverley's new salary restricting the Rockets future moves this Summer. If anything his super low cap hold will help it.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much the range i was thinking

8. dobro1229

You take his current market value, and then adjust for future advances in salary cap based on a 10 to 20% increase.

And this is best case scenario for him.

If the market gets more diluted with higher quality PGs (Dragic, Rondo, R. Jackson), & then you also account for the "bigger names" of Walker, Rubio, and Lin, Its easy to see that the market could actually be even more competitive than last year for these 2nd & 3rd tier guys.

All this leads me to believe that even if the Rockets get a chance to bring in a top tier PG this year, they should still try and retain Beverley if they can as a support guard off the bench. All indications are at this point, that he's got the potential to be resigned at an extremely high value rate next Summer, and the RFA w/ a low cap hold only helps the Rockets add talent and keep him in the process.

Again... trading Beverley right now for just any ole draft pick is just kinda dumb if you ask me.

9. basketballholic

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is someone is going to want Bev and they'll offer him too much for Morey to want to match. (Avery Bradley money) I suspect Morey is looking for the right trade for him.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

and thats fine but i definitely disagree that someones going to throw $30+ mil at a borderline starting pg that can just take open 3s and play some defense

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

You tell us. Aren't you the "insider"? Lol

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Only if combined with Harden & Dwight.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Remember this statement:

"Well it has been 6 years and the team hasn't won a playoff series, the team appears to be going backwards and now James Harden and Dwight Howard want to be dealt. So enjoy working at Arthur Anderson fat boy." - Les Alexander in 9 months if Morey deals Beverly for a mediocre #1

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Not only would any contender without a backup do it - some contenders would do it to start Beverley. I definitely think he would have started over Chalmers last year on the Heat. And I think Bev could have possibly been the difference in their series with the Spurs.

As for those just dismissing the idea as stupid - it really depends. If another 1st round pick is all that is needed to seal the deal for a superstar player, then it would definitely be something to at least consider. Especially if Canaan steps it up or if we believe in the off season we'll be able to add a quality point guard.

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

IF Bev is getting overpaid next season, then trade him NAO! but c'mon, lets be logical. No one is gonna offer more than 5-6 million per season for him.

16. basketballholic

IF a team ONLY OFFERS Beverley $5 million per year, that makes our cap next season $55.5 million if we move out everybody but Harden/Howard/Ariza/Bev. That's not enough money to attract a max free agent.

17. dobro1229

Beverley is a restricted free agent this Summer. The only thing that matters, as it pertains to 2015 free agency, is his cap hold (which is tiny), and the oh so important TIMING of when/if another team offers him a contract in July at the start of free agency.

We've been through this before with Chandler. I would have hoped everyone would have been aware of this (especially the "insiders") but I guess I was wrong.

Why everyone is so frantic about Patrick's 2015/16 salary is beyond me. Morey has 4 specific deadline's to make a move before a realistic tough decision would have to be made with Patrick (resign or let him walk).

-Oct 31st deadline - For rookie extensions
    -Dec 15th to Feb deadline - Trade season & deadline for 2014/15 season
    -Draft day & pre draft trade frenzy
    -July 10th free agency signing & trade week

Anyone who follows my posts knows that I'm typically ubber conservative with my expectations when it comes to trades & whatnot, but even I think it would be pretty bizarre if Morey didn't make some sort of major move before these 4 deadlines pass that shapes the roster moving forward.

If its July 10th, 2015 at 12AM, the Rockets have zero targets on their radar that are set to sign, or be traded to Houston, and Mark Cuban shows up at Treasures to give Pat Beverley a max contract offer, than I'll eat my words...and say we should have traded him at the deadline for an asset (unless he doesn't net you anything good, which in that case he's worth keeping for the playoffs). I promise you that much.

18. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

What SeekingAlpha is trying to say is that we won't get better if we do this. I agree with him.

19. basketballholic

Depends on what moves come in conjunction with or close to it. Trading Bev does not mean we won't get better.

20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

^^^This.