1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Gets Cut?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moonscope, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Chamillionaire

I really hope we keep him. He can be a great backup for us. A change of pace. He's the fastest guy with the rock in the whole league.

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

tomato TOMATOE. jeez. the point is canaan can't pass very well . I get your point. I didn't mean ALL offensive as in all offensive all star. I meant his game is geared toward scoring though his only weapon is a 3 pointer as alluded to you.

EBOLA in dallas.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Sorry meant signed someone that could be had. Like Elton brand or Marion (could play PF). Can't think of more names right

4. benchmoochie

Elton brand was wrecked cause last year. Marion was decent in dallas system. Rockets probably wanted to go with the players they had on the low salaries rather than go for a bloated contract.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

But if it comes down to Ish or Canaan, I am taking Ish Smith right now.

Think about the composition of our bench. The bench is filled with shooters like Daniels, Terry, Cisco, Pap and hustle big guys like Adrien and Black. The only big guy who can get his own shot off the bench is probably DMo.

What these shooters need is a facilitator like Ish Smith not a shoot first undersized PG like Canaan who can't distribute, nor finish at the rim.

1 person likes this.
  6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Yep, this right here. Well said. We have 4 serious shooters and an elite post up guy. We don't need a shoot-first,2nd&3rd style of PG for our bench. Even if Canaan would play-make a smidge and score a lot, he could stay. But his play-making is non-existent. He runs the ball up, dishes to a wing, and then goes and hides somewhere. His scoring is dribble out the ball and then drive into a defender with no move and let's his drive get blocked. And D? What D. He's just never shown us even a short glimpse of NBA stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

When are cuts due?

8. benchmoochie

I think my post was mis read. I've been supporting Smith since the beginning. Please go to post #121. I even mentioned to Basketballhollic that Smith was Canaan's competition which he said "WRONG".

I was trying to say to the BMD that Canaan was all offense meaning..his only value was scoring points and nothing else..which is not what our team wanted.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

But those players see no minutes in the playoffs. Dmo didn't even play much against Portland. As long as they are 1 year contracts who cares

10. benchmoochie

I understand what you're saying about -- the "who cares " thinking, but the players you mentioned don't fall into that category.

Elton Brand is a unique case though. He was amnestied and picked up last year. This year Brand is on a one year $2mil contract. Marion had a hefty contract last year. He makes 1.5 mil. Unless it's a vet min contract, you can't add them and not affect the cap.

2 mil is a good chunk of change to spend on some player you want to ride the bench and take up a roster spot.

This year they picked up Dorsey and Adrien which are F/C to possibly provide some tough play. They cost about the same as the who cares players you mentioned above that you want to ride the pine.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah my examples aren't the best. I just think veterans see minutes in the playoffs that I can't see someone like Dorsey getting. Last year tjones was pretty useless and dmo still didn't get much minutes.

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Bima mentioned earlier Dorsey and Cannan were both with 2 years contracts, but I checked Hoopshype and showing Cannan was only this year guaranteed but not for next year, is this correct?

If so, barring from any trades, I think the last spot will be between Cannan and Garcia.

13. Pete the Cheat

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/yearly/

Sportrac is showing the same

14. Matador

Matador Member

15. leangle25

leangle25 Member

My guess are Covington, Black, Mitchell, Powell and Capela is gonna get cut.

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

you don't cut your first rounder so quick

17. bongman

bongman Member

I agree with this. Capela was drafted for his potential. I am sure Morey is trying to work something out so he can trade instead of cutting somebody.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Canaan's 2015-16 salary is 80% guaranteed, meaning that it would likely cost the Rockets more in 2015 cap room to cut him (his 80% guarantee plus an incomplete roster charge) than to just hold onto him.

19. benchmoochie

I understand. I think LMA was a matchup that just exposed our weakness at PF. Matchup with Portland came at an inopportune time. Dorsey is a situational player; he wont be given consistent minutes throughout the season. McHale didn't trust DMO on LMA; he said it on a radio interview.

20. benchmoochie

unfortunate he didn't want to stay in Europe for a year; hence the term "stash pick". ha ha