1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you deal with spiders?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dback816, Sep 7, 2014.

?

What do you do?

1. Kill on sight

60 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Leave them alone

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  3. Throw them outside

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I never have spiders in my house

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Either leave them alone or throw them outside, I never kill.

And spiders rarely ever bite a human, and if their were no spiders on earth insects would rule the planet so think about the next time you kill a spider because they do much more good than bad.

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I've never seen a big spider in my life, only the tiny ones that you can easily crush with a book. I'd probably run away screaming in fear if I ever go to Houston and see a massive one.

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

What the hell, I'm moving if I saw that big ass spider in my house.

4. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

When I was doing land navigation courses in the woods for the army, I would always end up walking into giant spider webs with giant yellowish/white spiders on them! I remember every time I come near one they would open up all 8 of their legs, ready to latch onto me. Even worse I was forced to do land navigation exercises at night where walking into webs every 5 minutes was common, when it happens, I usually stop, drop everything, and brush everything off me. Going through experiences like that made me more tolerant with spiders.

5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I leave them alone usually unless they're somewhere I need to immediately access then I generally lead them in a small glass and then take them outside. Spiders kill roaches, flies, mosquitos and other insects that you really don't want in your house and they mostly keep to themselves in a dark corner. Spiders are alright. Even get the occasional tarantula sneaking through the garage door. Those are alright to pet usually on hand. Wolf spiders can get big but they're harmless. They are aggressive though and while their bites are only a minor annoyance, people smash their guts anyways.

#45 London'sBurning, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You're insane.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

no he isn't, he just isn't a pansy like most of the people in this thread.

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I live in an apartment with regular applications of pesticides and rarely have any kind of insect in my house. I have had more geckos wander their way in from the balcony than spiders or roaches which is fortunate. At my old place I would kill all spiders and insects.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've been bit too many times already in my life, while minding my own business and leaving them alone. I think my natural scent does something to them, especially when I was younger. It was nearly monthly thing to have some golf-ball size lump on my back or neck (was bit 3 times in the neck - 3 times! All while learning them alone.) So I'm not gonna let a big-ish spider have free reign in my house. If that makes me a pansy, then so be it.

10. VanityHalfBlack

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Aew1IDgyVno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Spiders don't really bother me too much. Will kill them if in front of my kids or wife, if necessary...gotta keep my manly image up.

Roaches...on the other hand...I turn into a broom or hockey stick wielding little eight year old girl. Absolutely cannot stand those things. Kafka be damned.

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Got in my car this morning to drive to work. About to pull onto the freeway when I feel a tingle on my bicep. I look down and see a spider on my arm. I tense up and the spider leaps to my forearm. I'm now half looking at the road, half looking at the spider. I slow down and the spider jumps on my leg. I then smack my leg as hard and fast as I could obliterating said spider. Poor little bugger scared the bejesus out of me. Spiders are KOS for me if they are in my house, car, or freaking crawling on me. Outdoors, not so much.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

I capture them, tie them up, and demand to know who they're working for.

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

pfft. rookies. i use my telepathic powers to dismember them.

[​IMG]

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My kids are afraid of them, but I won't kill them nor remove them. My mother was always big on leaving spiders alone (though she'd always freak about snakes, go figure) because they're beneficial and eat other pests. All other bugs I will kill on sight. If I thought one was a brown recluse or a black widow or something, I'd kill it, but it seems like a pretty remote chance I'd find one of those in my house.

My wife's on an organic gardening kick right now, and -- the way it sounds to me -- all pests are beneficial in some way because they eat other pests. It seems like some jacked up logic to me.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I capture them and force them to bite me. No superpowers yet, but I'm getting close. I can feel it.

17. bongman

bongman Member

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

All pests..? How are roaches and mosquitos beneficial..?

19. Moleb

Moleb Member

It depends on which type. If its a jumping spider or the tiny house spiders I leave them alone. The jumping spider is one of the brown recluses #1 enemies, and they kill a lot of brown recluses. They have exceptional vision as well & their bite cannot piece human skin, not even a babies.

Brown recluses though I kill on sight.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Roaches will help process your compost. To hell with mosquitoes though, even if our whole ecosystem craters without them.