1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disgusted By JLin Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Lin had plenty fair chance. When he played well he played more, when he played crap he played less.

Coaches loved what they got with Beverley, rightly so, balls to the walls onball pressure, you know what you're getting out of him.

valued that more than Lin's 1 out of 5 linsanitygasms

2. dantian

dantian Member

Were Lin not restricted, he'd have gotten the MLE. Morey overpaid 2mil per year based on talent, but Lin's total value for the franchise was net positive, which was severely suppressed by McHale's treatment.

3. dantian

dantian Member

I disagree. McHale did not give Lin supportive environment in general, which made playing-well harder for Lin. I believe he played much better when Harden was hurt, since he would not need to worry about being yanked for a mistake.

Beverly is far inferior PG than Lin. The board debated a lot whether he is much better on D. Well, it's another issue.

4. baubo

baubo Member

Lin is no longer a Rocket and I don't wish to discuss his career here based in GARM. I was only speaking of his value around the league and how much he's worth.

I was only speaking of that no team can get a player of Lin's caliber for $5mil. That part I disagree with. Which you also seem to agree with too, given that you believed Morey overpaid for him.

In the end, trading Lin was a positive for the Rockets and positive for Lin's career. There's no need to be disgusted. This was a rare case of "win win win" for all parties involved.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

He played better when Harden was hurt because he got to generate offense. Linsanity came about because Lin is a PnR attacking guard who got the ball in his hands 24/7 in MDAs offense.

Beverley is an inferior talent compared to Lin, but Lin's skillset is a bit redundant with Harden.

Lin is no traffic cone defensively. He hustles hard but is limited physically, length/lateral footspeed

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Thomas got about 6.5m per year, in a higher cap market, and is a better player. About $5m is a fair price for Lin.

7. Redcfc1

Redcfc1 Member

I think LeBron's little selfish act(taking an extra day in free agency that led to the Chris Bosh drama) is going to net Lin an extra $10~$15 million next year in free agency since Lin will be a starter this coming season instead of a backup on the Rockets.

Barring a Bledsoe trade, Isaiah Thomas will be a backup on the Suns. The Kings obviously didn't believe he was their starter of the future, either.

8. traveler

traveler Member

lol

Lin will not get a larger contract unless he learns to stop being a TO machine and begins to get consistent. So far we get flashes of good BB but he reverts back to being a barely serviceable PG.

9. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Tell me it's a "win,win,win" next year when I am watching the NBA Draft and we have no 1st round picks.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Lin was given NUMEROUS chances with the Rockets and ultimately he proved to be a boob.
    Folks can try and make excuses for him but he was/is a boob. He had no consistency. He was passive, he did poorly under the most pressure and most importantly his coaches and teammates didn't trust him not to screw up with the game on the line.

11. Nook

Nook Member

#1 The Rockets have the Pelicans pick next year.
    #2 If the Rockets really want a first rounder late in the draft, they can buy one.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I like boobs.

13. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

#1 - Rockets only have Pelicans pick if the stars align in our favor and their record falls in a certain range. You have been a Rockets fan long enough to know the odds of that happening.

#2 - You are presuming we are going to be an elite team next year. Some analysts, for what it is worth, have us as the 8th seed in the West. Have you seen our bench recently??? Teams trade cash for 2nd round picks....not 1st round picks. If that were to occur it would be an extreme rarity (do not recall it happening historically).

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Do be a drama queen it's a late first round pick which can easily be nought for the right player

15. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

At what point does it not become Lin's fault for not producing to the level of expectation? The Lin apologists seem to deflect his defects to coaching, system, etc far too easily. While I agree such things affect a players optimal usage, it was the things that Lin was totally in control of that discounted his value.

16. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Exactly. To enhance the absurdity of the trade of Lin, it seems the first round pick is valued well beyond its actual value. The pick shouldn't even sniff the lottery, so why exactly is it so ludicrous?

17. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Only Ludicrous to Lin fans. It'll be 26-30, in a very weak draft, this, not worth much at all.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin is free now, he can hang out with cool people in LA like Chris Brown, the GAME and Suge Knight

19. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

26-30.....now that's funny :grin: I needed some humor....thanks!

20. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

I think the Rockets are...Lin's production can be had for less than $8M cap hit and $15M real money. Almost any NBA guard given his minutes can put up 12pts 4 assists without the bonehead plays. Get over it. He's gone...