1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

anyone attend Snoop/RHCP saturday night?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 16, 2003.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

just wondering if anyone else saw this amazing show in the Woodlands Pavillion. we showed up to catch Snoop's last 4 or 5 songs, and i must say i was fairly impressed. rap usually doesn't transcend well on-stage, but Snoop's set was high energy and he seemed to be enjoying himself (although we were near the top of the lawn so it was hard to tell). but even if it was a crappy set i wouldn't have cared because it was Snoop.

but the highlight of the show were the chili peppers. those guys f*ckin rocked!!! they didn't play much of their old stuff, but it didn't matter; everything they played sounded awesome!! but what really topped the show off was the weather. as Snoop closed down and the set was changing, a monster storm started rolling in (as most of you probably know). it looked nasty - dark-ass clouds and lots of lightning. everyone was preparing to get soaked - bad. but it never rained, not one drop, just a hell of a lot of lightning. throughout the entire RHCP set (which included some dope visuals of their own), mother nature was providing her own light show; it was freakin surreal. as they jammed, lightning filled the sky and by the time they walked off stage (after bringing the house down), the storm had basically passed. the way everything worked out you woulda thought that they planned it. add to that the nearly 50 friends i was with and the booze and *cough*pot*cough* in my system, and it was well worth the $50 i ended up paying.

so i'm just wondering if anyone else was there to experience one of the best bands in the world, along w/ one of the dopest rappers in the biz, in one of the coolest settings you could ask for.

...and if you missed this show i pity you, and may God have mercy on your soul.

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

oh yeah, hot girls were everywhere.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Pity me.

I was so interested in seeing this, namely because it would be 1)Snoop and the Chili Peppers on the same stage and 2) I was wondering what the crowd would be like.

But I just wasn't able to go. Doesn't surprise me to hear it was great, though. :D

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

5. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw RHCP's in 85 at a half full Sam Houston Coliseum, socks and all. One of the most amazing shows I've ever seen to this day.

Honestly, I would have rather seen Snoop than RHCP's these days. Those guys have seriously lost their edge. I haven't bought any of their CD's since Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Everything after that just sounds watered down.

God, now I sound like that Musical Snob thread I started last week! I promised I wouldn't do that anymore! :D

OK, Chad Smith still rocks! There.

7. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Was there - Snoop's set was fun BUT it still bothers me that so many rapper's have like 50 other guys up there shouting stupid things like "Yeaahhhh Boooyyyeeeeee" and crap every 3 seconds. I swear, it was hard to pinpoint Snoop's voice sometimes b/c of this.

The Chili Pepper's were good but way too laid back. I saw them at Lollapalooza in 92 (or was it 93) and they just went nuts then, the crowd was nuts. Not this time. I like the new songs, but c'mon now - mix in some of first few albums & wake us up!

The weather effects were cool, even though it was ass hot. I swear, why ais the Pavilion even open in the summer? WE DON'T HAVE WINTERS HERE! Open the damn thing up from Sept - May. Have summer concerts somewhere w/ freaking A/C or at least closer than 50 miles from Houston.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Probably because most acts tour during the summer.

9. ima_drummer2k

Funny! That's the reason I don't really like live rap. I don't know why they do that either.

10. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Also funny:

Snoop invited all the women they could to get up on stage and dance. Snoop then said something like he'd be "getting w/ all the women backstage."

When the Chili Pepper's came out, Flea said "I'd like to congratulate Snoop on his wedding anniversary today." Don't know if it was meant as a dig or what...

Flea was wearing orange "tighty-whities" which the chronicle said were Plastic Man underoos! Very disappointing that they played such a subdued set when you factor in the cool storm system moving over us, 16,500 record crowd, and Flea's Plaxtic Man underwear... They shoulda rocked the place.

11. tozai

tozai Member

They're called hype men, and obviously they weren't doing their job. I agree they're annoying though.

lol ima_drummer2k, the first thing I though was of that musical snob post when I read the first 2 paragraphs.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

with the lightning it probably made for the most exciting concert ive been to there. and ive been a quite a few. the whole place smelled of mary jane around the middle of snoops act when chants of "smoke weed, get drunk, and f^@#" reigned in the pavilion. great show. i wanted to hear sikamikaniko and rollercoaster tho. still worth the money. i cant stop jammin snoop and chilli peppers since ive been home

13. ima_drummer2k

I thought Snoop was off the chronic. I guess not. That would explain his laaaaaiiiid back (with his mind on his money and his money on his mind) style.

Maybe RHCP should start with the heroin again, their music has suffered since they quit. :D

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I'll be at the show tonite in Dallas......

15. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Yeah, my sister said Snoop was smokin' up a storm at the concert and I said no, Snoop has vowed publically not to smoke weed, MARY JANE, pot, Chronic, etc. anymore. She laughed and said, "well maybe it was a cigar but I doubt it." Very disappointed in Snoop DOGG:(

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Yep I was there, it wasn't too bad.

Snoop was aight, RHCP were pretty good.

Damn it was hot and they started late.

I was down in the covered section and everyone got there late. It didn't get packed until half way through Snoop's show. He had that dang pimp with him as usual, Don Juan I think is his name. I didn't care for his "band". They started their show with a Metallica song, can't remember which one. Snoop did redeem himself with Gin&Juice, What's My Name and all those dang hoochies he got on stage. :D

RHCP - Not too bad, entertaining and fun. You can't beat the images of naked chicks on the screen behind them.

#16 Sonny, Jun 16, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2003