1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many kWh do you use??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Aug 16, 2014.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

I'm tired of paying high ass electricity bills!! I have a one bedroom 700 square-foot apartment, and my electricity bill was $183 this month. I'm with Green Mountain energy so I'm not sure if I'm getting screwed or if I'm using too much energy.

This past month I used 849 kWh. Is that abnormally high?? I believe I'm paying about $.16. Any tips on how to save energy or recommended energy companies??

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

That's a pretty big apartment breh. You must be rich.

Do you have your A/C on 24/7?

3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Lifestyles of the rich and the famous

No, only when I'm home. I live alone and work 40hrs a week

4. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

Switch to StarTex Power. 0.09 cents

5. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We almost have the same variables --- one bed room apartment and less than 700 sq. ft.

I have Ambit's fixed energy rate of 11 cents per kWh.

Last month's bill was $75.

6. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

0.16 per KW is not a good deal for electricity. I use to have green bf and had a rate of 0.9 or 0.10 i believe locked up. You also need to check the details on the back of the bill. They sometimes charge (i forgot what's called, but when you turn power all at the same time they have a charge for that alone). Just read the back of the bill and give them a call you'l get a better understanding. Also do you have fixed rate or adjustable? it all matters.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Check out the powertochoose site to compare rates. I just switched last week to Infinite Energy. Think the rate is 0.09.

And don't feel too bad, the bill on my house last month was over $400.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

.16 is very high. Look for a fixed rate of .11 or lower annually. You can find cheap .07 or .08 deals for three months, but the rates will jump up to .15/.16 if you don't renew or cancel. Before you switch, make sure you're not locked into a contract that's going to penalize you. If it does, figure out if it's worth switching to a different provider.

9. NateNate

NateNate Member

$75 wow!! I know I don't have the best rate but I'm more concerned if the 849kwh I used last month is abnormaly high.

10. NateNate

NateNate Member

I will check that out. Thanks!

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

watts of funkin

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

$400? Dag, yo.

Do you live in a mansion with acreage?

I live in a 1050 sq ft apartment in Phoenix AZ and I pay about $125 per month for electricity.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I used 383 kWh in my 725 sq ft apartment last month. My energy usage totaled $29 or so, and comes to 7.5c/kWh here in Austin. But with extra fees like Clean Community, Street, and Drainage, I paid about $50.

Use low wattage lighting like CFLs or LEDs. Turn off lights when you're not using them. I run my A/C all day, but my temps are at 80 when not at home, 75 during the day, and around 72 at bedtime. You actually use less power to run the A/C all day, albeit a higher temp, than to turn it off and make your A/C go to 75 from 85.

My water heater uses gas and my stove is electric, so my energy use is a bit low since it doesn't heat the water.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Cleverly disguised thread to identify grow houses

15. NateNate

NateNate Member

Do you unplug cell phones chargers or other items that you're not using?

I have a led hdtv in the living room with a surround sound system. That' the only "big" item I can think of. It's connected to a power surge that I turn off when i leave.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

^

I used to since that's what they always said a few years ago. But reading up on it again, most chargers now have little discharge when not in use even if they're left plugged in. I think it totaled up to $1.50 per month or per year, but either way, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it anymore.

As long as you keep things to a minimum, as in turn things off when not in use, your energy usage should be pretty low. I stopped doing the power surge off thing because electronics use so little on standby now, as well.

If you're doing all of that already, it might be because your A/C is inefficient. Could be air filters, maybe the ducts and vents aren't fully open, or your building isn't well insulated.

17. ling ling

ling ling Member

Check your neighbor's electric bill. They may be near zero. ;)

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No, not terribly high. Texas single family houses average 1,000 kwhs per month, but summer will be twice as high as low usage months. An apartment will be half to 3/4th the size. Considering you're alone and work during the day it may be a bit high, but nothing crazy. Your rate is terrible, even for green energy.

19. NateNate

NateNate Member

Yeah I figured that they don't use much energy anyways. I'm gonna guess the AC unit is old and working overtime. Thanks for your input

20. NateNate

NateNate Member

I didn't wanna sign a long term contract at the time so I went month to month. I have just been lazy when it comes to switching.. I just can't believe I use that many kWh. Thanks