1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs pissed over Chalupas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JuanValdez, Feb 16, 2001.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/2001/20010215/recap/cledal.html

Here's an excerpt:

The game closed in controversy when players from both sides began pushing each other following Trent's basket with 3.3 seconds left. Cleveland's players and coaches felt the Mavericks should have backed off in the final minute of a blowout game.

"I defend our guys," Cavaliers coach Randy Wittman said. "They had three straight possessions to run the clock out. That's what you do as professionals. I'm not a firm believer in rubbing it in anyone's face and that's what they did. I don't care what they say. We'll remember this. That will come back around."

A fast food chain gives coupons for free chalupas to Reunion Arena fans if the Mavericks score 100 points in a victory, and Trent's turnaround jumper put Dallas over the top.

I think the Cavs are completely wrong here. Dallas was doing something good for the fans (which is, in turn, good for the league) by doing something which should be expected of every basketball team anyway: a complete 48-minute effort.

The Cavs want to say the honorable thing to do is to stop trying in the last couple of minutes and give, maybe, 45 minutes of good basketball to people who paid for 48. The honorable thing to do is to play to win until the buzzer sounds.

Obviously, it is unrealistic to think that the teams would still try in the last minute of a 20-point blowout. But, it is an insult to basketball fans in general that the Cavs would (1) be upset at the other team for putting in a full day's work and (2) put their own petty interests over the chalupa-interests of 15,000 fans who paid to come watch their team play and do, after all, pay for all their expensive cars and houses. Have they ever heard the expression, the customer is always right (even when he's an idiot)?

The crowds were chanting for chalupas. The fans wanted them, the Mavs wanted to give it to them, even Taco Bell wants to give it to them. What's wrong with the Cavs? If they had any sense, they'd have laid down a little harder to be sure the Mavs hit 100 points and gave the fans what they want. You won't be selling tickets by denying fans chalupas when they ask for them.

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have always felt that once the game (college or professional) was well in hand, you put in all of the guys who don't get to play and allow them to play as hard as they can. It is not fair to ask Dan Langhi to practice hard every day and then finally get into a game and just sit on the ball.

------------------

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm so tired of the WE PROFESSIONALS
    and that is Rubbing it in . ..
    ok how about this. . . it's an Idea but
    HOW ABOUT PLAYING WELL AND NOT GETTING
    RIPPED BY 20?

huh can you do that?
    Maybe if enough folx RUBB it in . . you'll
    play better

Rocket River
    f*cking cry babies

------------------

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

There is no such thing as running up the score in professional sports. It's ridiculous for these guys to complain about it (like Philly did when Langhi got that last second bucket). If you get blown out by your opponent, shut up, go home and practice. If you think your opponent is trying to run up the score on you, hey, I've got an idea... try to stop them!

And for the Cavs to suggest that the Mavs should just roll over when they have a chance to give something back to their fans... well, that is just about as lame as it gets.

Hey Person, you think it's disrespectful to you for them to want to reward their fans? The final score means nothing to your team, it's still just one loss, but it did mean something to them. Suck it up, you puss.

------------------

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Isn't there a rule where you are not allowed to score more than 20 pts than your opponent ... kinda like the UN says you can't shoot first unless you are shot at.

------------------
    its all good and fun till someone gets hurt ... then its absolutely hilarious!

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Let me get this straight, Cleveland is a saying "It's not fair that Dallas is just pounding us! Look we suck, PLEASE stop beating the crap out of us!" Oh ok! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The quote by Person is the best.

"This is bigger than any chalupa." What, getting beaten by 18 instead of 16 is bigger than 14,000 chalupas?

And, "That is totally disrespectful to our team and our players." Is there a sissier thing he could have said? If they had respect for us they'd treat us like little babies because we're not man enough to take a big loss?

------------------
    RealGM
    Rockets Draft Obligations Summary
    Gafford Art
    Artisan

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Playing hard the entire game and trying to score one for the fans isn't disrespecting the other team. I think a team should work hard the entire game.
    The only way it would be disrespectful to the other team is if you're running a full court trap with your best players still in the game in the final minutes.

------------------
    Someone who is about to admonish another must realize within himself five qualities before doing so (that he may be able to say), thus:
    In due season will I speak, not out of season. In truth will I speak, not in falsehood. Gently will I speak, not harshly. To his profit will I speak, not to his loss. With kindly intent will I speak, not in anger. -from the Vinaya Pitaka

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Somebody ought to tell Mr. Person that getting blown out is disrespectful to their fans. Especially season ticket holders and people that fork over money for their merchandise. Ewe MO rawn.

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

10. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I wouldn't touch a chalupa from Taco Bell with a ten-foot pole.

But, the game is 48 minutes long. Come to play for 48 minutes, or keep your ass in the locker room.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

11. Elienator

Elienator Member

What great PR for Cuban even if it cost him $10 grand. If I lived in Dallas and wasn't a Mavericks fan, I would be now. The team understands they play because people pay to watch. Losing by 20 points or 18 points isn't a big deal. Making 12,000 people in attendance happy is.

------------------

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

That is our attendance, Unfortunately the Mav's probably draw a larger crowd than us.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion