1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google Chromecast

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 25, 2013.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The push update usually takes a few days to auto-update.

I followed the link above to the APK and installed using the Android mirror site.

Works like a charm on my S5.

Spotify on the TV is awesome.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

There is an app called Spoticast that allows you to get your Spotify working in Chromecast. It might still be better sound quality to go that way but I haven't actually compared since the update.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

This will make my Chromecast a little more useful.

Glad that non-iOS people finally get to experience casting. One of my favorite features back when I had an Apple TV.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Just took the dive for a chromecast when I got my $20 best buy rewards thingy on my lunch break. I opened it, have no idea what to do with it until I get home. Is there an incentive to hack? Can someone give me a summary or bullet point list of things to do with it please?

Reps as a thanks I promise!

5. Yonkers

It's obviously for casting things to your TV. Mainly it will be for videos and musics but now you can cast your entire phone onto the screen to so you can easily share the pictures you took on your phone.
    Find supported apps here. Most popular ones are YouTube, Pandora, etc. I use mine mainly for Plex, so I can view movies from my home server.
    https://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

1 person likes this.
  6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It's definitely a cool little devise to stream Netflix, HBOGo, etc to your TV via wifi. Basically makes a dumb TV smart and uses your phone or tablet as the remote. Supported apps have the functionality built into the mobile application. Really simple to use and very inexpensive solution to stream to your TV. Go ahead and download the Chromecast app to your phone now. It's the easiest way to set it up, and once you get home you'll already have it and be ready to go.

1 person likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also the google play store has an entire section that is dedicated to Chromecast supported apps. Everything from ESPNtv to HBO go and crunchyroll. Also if you use Google chrome for your mobile web browser on your android device any HTML5 videos embedded in website can be casted with Chromecast. Perfect for anime streaming websites and mobile p*rn websites.

2 people like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

If you're a ballstreams user they've added the ball cast app to stream to your chromecast.

2 people like this.
  9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I'm trying to figure out plex. What is it? Is it like netflix? What's the cost? I went to their website but I'm a little confused?

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's a media streaming software that you run on a server so you can watch your own media anywhere else. So you have to supply the media. Nothing like Netflix other than it's streaming media at the client end.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In addition, there are non-supported websites you can stream perfectly to your TV screen.

When it comes to watching shows (and movies), I'm at the point where I use Chromecast twice as often as my DVR.

Except for sports, live TV is becoming a thing of the past.

12. Yonkers

Think of it as Netflix but you supply the content. It provides a good web front end and it automatically encodes to the level of bandwidth you have/need depending on your playback device. When I'm at home and I use Chromecast on my network, it streams at 20Mbps and I get full 1080p, etc. When I'm at work I can stream my own content to my phone and it will dial down the resolution and correspondingly the bandwidth.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

15. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I just picked up one of these thinking that I could cast my phone to my TV. Little did I know that the HTC M8 isn't a supported device to do this yet. Anybody know when this might happen. I see that the M7 and the LG G3 are supported but can't see why the M8 wouldn't be.

16. Nero

Nero Member

Wait, seriously? I was just about to get a Chromecast! Argh!

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I don't think you need to be rooted for the M8 but this thread should shed some light. I got it working on my moto x

http://forum.xda-developers.com/har...experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193

UPDATE: Okay you do need to be rooted but it should work once you do.

18. Yonkers

If you're rooted it's possible for the HTC M8.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/enable-chromecast-mirroring-from-any-device/

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I got one of these to broadcast the Texans games onto my TV since they don't air up here in DC.

Best decision I ever made.

20. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

How are you accessing the game feed? This is one of the only things holding me back from canceling my cable.