1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Sign Kostas Papanikolaou

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Aug 8, 2014.

?

Do you like the Rockets signing of Kostas Papanikolaou, using their MLE to do it?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. NO

94 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

....and accept mediocrity? That isn't the goal here.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Don't you think DM contacted Marion first? The Rockets were trying to sign Kostas with the BAE, which didn't work out. I feel that they signed him after Marion told them, he didn't want to come to Houston.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Really? Marion is only getting vet min offers. Maybe, just maybe Morey doesn't want him. He's old and slow.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Makes sense. :)

Can't flip a 39 year old Ray Allen (on a one year deal)
    Probably can't flip Shawn Marion

So you go all in on Kostas.

Can't sign you if you can't be traded!

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Perhaps, yes. Marion may also be looking for another championship, and he isn't going to get it in Houston.

6. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

You think Morey's job depends in any way, shape or form on Papanikolaou?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Fantastic post! Great info on those scenarios.

8. Remon

Remon Member

1 person likes this.
  9. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

Kostas is having a good game. 19 minutes, 3 for 3, 9 points

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great post, HI Mana.

However, I don't think the Rockets will have much leverage on Papanikolaou in restricted free agency due to the sheer size of his qualifying offer.

In order to make Papanikolaou a restricted free agent next summer, the Rockets must extend him a qualifying offer of nearly $6 million (being 125% of his prior year's salary).

If the Rockets' goal is to use restricted free agency as a ploy to get Kostas to agree to a longer-term deal at a substantially lower salary (i.e., $2-3 million per year for four years), Papanikolaou can just call their bluff and accept his $6 million qualifying offer. He'd get a fat one-year contract (and in the process become a One-Year Bird player, able to veto any trade involving him), then take his chances all over again in 2016.

While I like the flexibility of this contract, I have serious reservations about the Rockets being able to leverage restricted free agency in their favor against Papanikolaou.

11. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Shawn likely is looking for a long term guaranteed contract. This will make him less attractive on the trade table.

12. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

77 rating on 2k...82 3pt Rating...good enough for me lol

13. FeaR

FeaR Member

18 Points for Papanikolaou against France, 2/4 from three.

14. solodolo

solodolo Member

[​IMG]

15. FeaR

FeaR Member

sorry, 2/3 from three.

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Don't like structure of this deal at all. If he's any good, I imagine he's gone.

17. FeaR

FeaR Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Kostas Papanikolaou on Greek TV for <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets">@HoustonRockets</a> &quot;A dream comes true, but I have to keep that on the side, because of the NT&quot; (1/2)</p>&mdash; Eurohoops.net (@Eurohoopsnet) <a href="https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/statuses/498187552973922304">August 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;I will speak about it when it's time. I just have to say that I feel blessed and I want to thank my family for their support&quot; (2/2)</p>&mdash; Eurohoops.net (@Eurohoopsnet) <a href="https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/statuses/498187746947923968">August 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. RYAN3053

RYAN3053 Member

After watching Paps' highlight video, I thoroughly enjoy his 3 point stroke over "he who shall not be named" frozen rope of a shot. I cringed every single time (that other guy) shot, even the ones he made.

19. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Another lefty. Morey loves these guys:

Dragic, Bosh, KMartin, Harden. I'm forgetting a few.

20. YaBoy

YaBoy Member

K Martin?