1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Cleveland has deal in place for Love (Wiggins potentially involved)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Painting_Shade, Jul 9, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

Lol, all lebron does is collude. he's a loser, honestly, running away to wherever things are easy. make no mistake about it, with or without love, cleveland is a 100% better situation to win than miami for the next 5 years and this has been obvious for MONTHS

2. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

Dumbest comment I've ever read.

Anyway, glad Love is taking his destiny in his own hands, however he can. Players are always at the mercy of the owners and GMs, glad to see a player do this.

3. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Apparently you haven't read any of his other comments then. Dude is horrible.

4. downbytheriver

Most of you rehash what the media says. You don't really think for yourselves

Cleveland was 100% a better situation than the sinking ship that was Miami , for the next 5 yrs and into the future. If this wasnt the case, lebrb wldnt even consider this hometown bs. Hilarious how easy it is to soon lies around you fellas

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is not correct. Love is not a FA, so it is most definitely collusion for another team to talk to a signed player unless authorized by Minnesota. Not even other players can talk to signed players. And here we are talking about pre-trade agreements regarding contracts. It can't get anymore colluding than that; unless, as I said, Minnesota authorizes it to secure the trade.

I am 100% positive about this.

6. Major

Major Member

Cleveland was given permission by Minnesota to discuss contract:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...eak-To-Love-No-Deal-In-Place-For-New-Contract

Players can talk to signed players all they want - there's nothing all preventing that.

7. Major

Major Member

Agreed on that - I just think their solution is worse than the original plan. I think there are creative ways to go back to the old system. For example, you can have 7 or 8 years or whatever. You're allowed cut any player with more than 2 years remaining and it will only count 50% or whatever against your cap, but you still have to pay them the full amount. That helps you get out of contracts from a team-building perspective while still penalizing dumb decisions financially. And still costing them something capwise.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I saw that about granting permission. So they can talk about basketball stuff and gauge personality. That's how severe collusion is. You have to get permission even to talk to a player. But you CANNOT discuss future agreements. You can only talk about stuff like personality, what position the player like to play, how they get along with teammates, what role they like, etc. But permission still does not allow discussing contracts.

Players cannot talk to signed players anymore than teams can. The collusion rule states very clearly that no team rep, including players, can talk to signed players. When I say "talk," I'm referring to anything considered illegal by the league. Players don't make it legal. I am 100% positive about that.

9. Major

Major Member

A player can't talk to another as a representative of a team - Lebron can't say "Hey, Cleveland is going to offer you a contract". But they can talk about playing together and the like. The following all are legal for people to say publicly:

Love: "I plan to opt out of my contract next summer and test free agency." "If I'm traded to a team I like, I hope to stay long-term with them."

Team: "If we trade for Love, we want to keep him for a long time."

Lebron: "I want to play with Kevin Love for the next several years".

And that's really all anyone needs to do in this situation. The only part where collusion would come into play is if the team told Love "hey, we're offering you a max contract next summer" - that's implied, of course, but there's no need to say it.

10. thejav

thejav Member

Timberwolves fans burn loves jersey?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3svPkthjWcM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Remii

Remii Member

Hmmmm _ IDK... Irving is a young injury prone guy and he's pretty much points with no substance and he plays no defense, it's guys on that team that don't get along, and there's hardly any playoff experience. And even if they got Love _ that dude thinks defense is actually "the fence" he knows not what it is, and it is said Love is a bad locker room guy as well. LeBron would have been in just as good situation in Miami with Pat Riley than in Cleveland with Dan Gilbert. I think it was more about him just wanting to go home because he was only in Miami because of Wade.

But I don't think it matters what Cleveland does. I think Chicago is the big dawg in the east.

12. Remii

Remii Member

You're completely right about that... And right now Morey may only have a two year window with Howard.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

From Wiggin's instagram:

22wiggins
    3 hours ago
    I’m here to beat the odds that was set against me, wished the worst luck to anyone who bet against me.

[​IMG]

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I thought that was a big pendant

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

So when is Stern's replacement, the guy who looks like a watcher, gonna step in and stop this deal???

16. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

100% eh?

From David Stern regarding collusion - "The three players are totally, as our system has evolved, within their rights to talk to each other," Stern said. "That is not tampering or collusion that is prohibited. That's our rule, right now."

17. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

To funny!! Nice dog calendar on the wall.

18. affter3333

affter3333 Member

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" lang="en"><p>Self: Wiggins wants to be traded to Minnesota (Yahoo Sports) <a href="http://t.co/c4pyVsWRSl">http://t.co/c4pyVsWRSl</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NBA?src=hash">#NBA</a></p>&mdash; Yahoo Sports NBA (@YahooSportsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/YahooSportsNBA/statuses/498533630977654786">August 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>