1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor: Cleveland has deal in place for Love (Wiggins potentially involved)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Painting_Shade, Jul 9, 2014.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Jesus. This wouldn't be a problem if they didn't have that dumb 30 day rule. How is it any different from Love telling CLE he would resign? Don't players and teams talk about that stuff all the time when you trade for 1 year contracts?

2. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

It's a stupid rule but if they broke it, they're going to pay for it. If it's true though, it's somewhat strange that Minnesota is involved in this again after the incident in 2000 with Joe Smith. I'm not saying Minnesota did anything wrong here, it's on Cleveland, but it would suck if they had to suffer again for this kinda stuff. They aren't going to get a better deal than Wiggins in terms of potential and value for the buck.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I doubt that will happen.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow just wow. I'm a big Love fan but this trade sucks balls for the Cavs...how do you end up losing Wiggins when Love already said he won't stay with the Wolves in the first place? The Cavs have tons of PFs on the team already, Tristan Thompson, Bennett, Varejao (originally a PF) and even LBJ himself who is better than Love when he plays PF. Esp. Since they traded Bennett for Thad Young, is there really a big diff when Love is the PF vs Thad Young is the PF with Wiggins as the backup SF or starting SG? Now they are recruiting Marion again yet another guy is best used as a PF than SF.

Sure Love may be better right now but he's also more expensive, if the Cavs kept Wiggins they can use the money and picks on other players, maybe a defensive C for example. Can't really understand why they'd do this I can see it backfiring pretty badly.

5. PeppermintCandy

I'm impressed by what the Sixers are doing to get in the mix. Exchanging Young for another player with star potential to add to a roster already full of players with star potential. And with another tanking season to gain even more "assets."

Of course it may not work out as planned, but it's still a pretty damn exciting plan.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Personally I don't like the way Hinky keeps getting injured big men with every pick and we don't know when Saric's gonna come over either. Exum had "future superstar" written all over him I think they're gonna regret that Embiid pick.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Won't happen. This is LeBron's league. Maybe a slap on the wrist at most.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

They need to just allow SnTs on rookie contracts.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Exum...??? They already have MCW. Why double up on two point guards who have suspect outside shots. Sam did right by drafting Embiid. His injury isn't career threatening and he's probably the closest center we've seen to Olajuwon (skill set wise). And Noel looked pretty good during summer league. In all likelihood Sam has put together a beast of a frontcourt.

Sam doesn't look like he's just collecting "assets" to me. It looks like he's putting together a team that may be very attractive to a big time free agent in a year or two... Like KD for example.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Embiid is the best prospect in this draft including Wiggins. The only way Philly got him is because of the injury. He has Hakeem potential.

19 pts, 14 rebounds, 4.5 blocks per 40 minutes in college while only playing basketball for 4 years. He is barely 20 years old. The kid is going to be amazing if he can stay healthy. He has way more potential than Greg Oden had. A gamble well worth taking at the 3 spot.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Yea... It seems like some collusion going on with Love and LeBron. Love seemed like he was interested in going to a couple of other teams before LeBron got to Cleveland and now all of a sudden he's saying Cleveland is the only team he will sign with which puts Minnesota in a tight position.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Lol... We both flipped out on that post at the same time. If Embiid was healthy _ he probably would have been the #1 pick.

13. likestohypeguy

This is why I'm hoping for the off chance it does get blocked.

14. Major

Major Member

Collusion between Lebron and Love is legal - there's nothing stopping players from planning together like that. Love and Cleveland can also discuss contract plans and Love can say he would like to sign there or Cleveland can say they want Love to sign there. Love can also make any pronouncements he wants about who he will or won't sign with (Dwight did a lot of this with Orlando, if I remember correctly).

The only collusion would be if Love and Cleveland come up with an actual agreement of some sort, even though it's unenforecable anyway.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Because Love is a legitimate stretch power forward and all of those other 4's you named are J.A.G's... LeBron wants another certified star on the court with him. He's trying to win a chip now and doesn't want to wait for a rookie to develop.

16. Remii

Remii Member

I understand that Major. LeBron and Wade did the same thing (along with Bosh), they did not just decide to join up when they became free agents they had the plan in place for a few years... Difference is they were all free agents so I don't consider that collusion (at least not in a bad way). Love still belongs to Minnesota at this point and he's forcing Minnesota's hand. I just don't think that's fair to the Wolves. And it's not that I care about the Wolves but more and more players could start doing that and it can open up a can of worms.

17. Major

Major Member

I think a big part of this is the result of the CBA and their 4-5 yr max contracts. Two years into a contract, players are already looking at their next destination. Going back to the old 7 year type contracts would stop a lot of this nonsense, IMO. It would also help teams actually build around something instead of having a 3-4 year window whenever they get a superstar.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

amen! it's gotten ridiculous.

Having said that, I think the NBA loves the offseason drama it creates.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Owners/GM's fault it was reduced from 7 years. They make stupid decisions like signing Matt Maloney to 7 years. They've been given amnesties, shorter max contracts, player salary caps, neutered MLE's and they STILL are screwing things up. NBA organizations need to be babied apparently. They cant seem to stop themselves from giving Erick Dampier max money.

20. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

As long as there's no written agreement, nothing will come of this. There's not a player in the NBA who would not sign long term to play with Lebron.