1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Morey's moves are telling us

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyT43, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They're telling us he F'd up.

Thing is, even he does pull a miracle trade for Dragic, Rondo, Milsap or somebody of that caliber, we still missed out on a lot this off season. We missed out on a lot, no matter who we sign next off-season, or trade for this season, we still missed out.

Morey not matching Parsons was basically our backup plan if we can't upgrade the team by trade is how I see it. Because if it's a lock to snag Rondo or Dragic etc by trade, then we could have just matched Parsons, still signed Ariza or any other free agent under 10 million. We would have still had the same assets to trade.

We did't do that though, which makes me think that not matching Parsons was just our backup plan if we can't trade for a big name player. That way, without Parsons contract, we still have the flexibility to go after another free agent next season. So if we trade for Dragic or a big named player, we still F'd up because we didn't match Parsons.

We're basically just saving our cap space for next summer, thing is, we don't even have much cap space, and we're going to have to scorch the roster just to sign somebody like Rondo, Dragic or Milsap next off season. Those player will want what? Around 14 million? Lets say they demand that, and lets see what we'd have to do to create that space.

With

Howard
    Harden
    Beverley
    Daniels
    Johnson

Would have to be our team if wanted to have 14 million in cap space. Yup, we'd have to drop: Parsons(I'll explain), Jones, Motiejunas, the Pelicans draft pick, Capela and Canaan... JUST to free up cap to sign one player. Remember we also didn't match Parsons for this player, so who ever we sign next off season, will have cost us Parsons too. Which leads to the question... Is who we sign worth Parsons, Jones, Motiejunas, Capela and Canaan?

If we strike out on any trades, and signing any free agents next off season, then we're really f'd.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Forgot to ad Ariza.

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Yea it saddens me to know that most likely Dmo and Jones probably won't be on this team this time next year

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This.

Well, it's possible that he can pull something off at the trade deadline. But, in any case, he's certainly not trying to compete right now with Joey Dorsey and Jeff Adrien.

5. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Amazing to me that no one picked up on this comment. In true CH fashion, you wrapped your thought with, erm, provocative words, but that being said, I think I agree with you. I would add that he also takes advantage of anti- lefty biases too.

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Yeah, I posted about a similar comment made in the Cyberex thread and nobody seemed to notice.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yup, he gave up on this season and it's very sad..I've never seen anything like this. So what you lose out on Bosh? Just man up and try to sign the best player available behind him..

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

All it tells us is we are still looking for a 3rd "star level" player. We won't do anything that could compromise our ability to get that player.

I'm actually somewhat optimistic now. Harden/Ariza/Howard is a very good core to build around, and they are all locked up for at least the next 2 years. I view almost everyone and everything else as a trade asset.

9. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

He's trying to keep the team competetive and improving in a watered down league.

10. zoids

zoids Member

Morey's moves told me another Howard's prime year is going to waste and who knows if there will be any star want to come to Rockets while Haren, Howard, and McFail are here to stay. Morey can keep saving cap room for the next big star, but will the big star come or not is a complete different issue. With the bad rep after Asik, Parsons, Lin situation, I even doubt if any young developing players would want to come here to play as well since they won't get any chance to be more than a ROLE PLAYER.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Luol Deng got $10M per year. Trevor Ariza got $8M per year. Parsons and Hayward got $15M and $16M per year.

There is a clear market inefficiency.

12. baubo

baubo Member

He's telling us that even when the team's good, he won't go "all in" for the short term. I think like always, he'll let the market play out and look for the next opportunity, instead of overpaying even if it means lesser talent in the short term.

Basically, he better be right and there comes an opportunity for a Rondo or Dragic or whoever else. Otherwise, we could've maintained the status quo with Parsons which while not great, wasn't bad either.

13. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Morey missed out on the big names but he hasn't given up. He laying in the weeds waiting for opportunities. Most of the other teams will have theirs hands tied while Morey made a smart decision to not match Parsons. Patience is the key he gonna make more moves when the time is right. The sky is not falling.

Imo his biggest mistake was not going all in for Lowery.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think people worry way too much about the supposed FA distaste for the Rockets. The Clippers, of all teams, with only Blake Griffin as a draw were able to get Chris Paul to come back, attract Doc Rivers and is now a glamor team. Sure, they're in LA. But, Sterling was the worse owner in sports. A known racist and mysogonist with a reputation for being cheap with players, not caring about winning, and taking advantage of people. Chris Paul managed to forget all that when he engineered his trade there and when he re-signed as a UFA. Doc Rivers managed to forget all that when he forced his way on to the team (leaving him in the uncomfortable position of feigning surprise and disgust when the next Donald racism scandal broke). Point being that players don't actually care that much about who they have to work with so long as the chance to contend is there and the money is green. If the Clippers can get free agents, anyone can.

I think you're being unfair. Besides being white, Parsons and Hayward are also young. Part of their market value is their potential to become even better. Deng and Ariza are good players, but they're also known quantities. They won't be any better than we've seen, and in fact have no where to go but down from where they're at. There's probably something inefficient about the fact that the team most optimistic about potential will win the sweepstakes and likely overpay for that potential, but I think the players' whiteness isn't the primary factor (though probably still a factor) -- it's youth.

15. traveler

traveler Member

Morey has always wanted a big top tier 4. He has gotten many to come through the system and has Mchale working with them but when they don't seem to be able to be that talent he sends them out. He will not rest until he has that missing piece. He will not go all in on guards as he has one of the best ball handlers now in Harden. He knows as many do that the team needs another quality big 4 or 5 to pair with Howard to go deep. Everything he as shown so far is that he is still looking.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

Point 1 - Simple, don't settle until the 3rd star is acquired. Period.
    Point 2 - Only Point 1 will win us a Championship with the way the league is currently designed, THEREFORE, Point 1 or bust!
    Point 3 - Accept Points 1 & 2 and shut up!

17. wise_man

wise_man Member

Not being able to sign bosh and not matching parsons could be a blessing in disguise. Just like david stern blocked the pau gasol trade and then we ended up with hardeen and howard..everything happens 4 a reason. I still beleive in morey.

18. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Could easily see a rondo trade at the deadline. The celtics WILL struggle, and knowing rondos competitive nature, he will be as good as gone. Getting jones/nop pick is better than nothing.

Ainge is also a good gm, so the Minnesota/Denver 2nd would hold a little bit of appeal to him I bet

19. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Like I said, I agree with you. That said, I'm not sure the inefficiency you cite shows up in the contracts you cite -- I am not sure that it is unreasonable that for more veteran guys like Deng and Ariza whose peak potential has likely been already realized should command the same as guys who have theoretical untapped potential.

Nasdaq multiple versus Dow.

20. kchin

kchin Member

Bad Roster

He has no choice but to believe in Scenario 1. We sold all of our valuable assets to pull off any miracle trades. Believe it or not, this will be our roster on opening night.