1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cosart/Hernadez/Wates Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jul 31, 2014.

?

Do you like the return for Cosart/Hernandez/Wates?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2014.
  1. Yes

73.8%
  2. No

26.2%
  1. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Anyone have the ESPN Insider evaluation?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[rquoter]The six-player trade between the Astros and Marlins was the most interesting one of the day because, unlike most of the other deals at this exciting deadline, it included actual prospects -- minor leaguers and very young big leaguers going in both directions -- at a time when you have to pry prospects loose from most teams with a crowbar and a tube of silicone.
    [+] EnlargeJarred Cosart
    Bob Levey/Getty Images
    In Cosart the Marlins add a talented pitcher under team control for years to come.
    Jarred Cosart came to Houston in the Hunter Pence trade -- a deal that has turned out to be a huge heist for the Astros, with Jonathan Singleton and Domingo Santana both looking like they're going to pan out -- but he's struggled as a starter, lacking a pitch to get lefties out and showing below-average command and control. Cosart gets into the mid-90s, mixing a four-seamer and a cutter, with a sharp breaking ball that he struggles to get to his glove side because of his cross-body delivery. That delivery is a major reason why he doesn't command any of his primary pitches, and also why he's walked about 80 percent as many guys as he's struck out as a big-league starter. Cosart has also earned a reputation for questionable makeup, which couldn't have helped his cause in Houston. I'd continue to give him reps as a starter, but his stuff might fit better in the pen. The Marlins also get Kike Hernandez, an extra outfielder who's done a nice job in his major-league debut this year; he can handle centerfield on an emergency basis but is best suited to left.

The Astros absolutely cleaned up here, especially if, as I suspect, they wanted to rid themselves of Cosart for character reasons in addition to the gap between his talent and his performance. Jake Marisnick made my top 100 prospects twice before his rookie year; he's a centerfielder with five-tool talent who lacks polish in his offensive game, particularly recognition of offspeed stuff, which has left him vulnerable to velocity because he's often guessing at a pitch's type.

Houston also landed Colin Moran, the 5th overall pick from last year's rule 4 draft and a player they considered taking instead of No. 1 overall pick Mark Appel. Moran started a little slowly this year but has been warming up as the season's gone on, making a lot of hard contact but hitting without power. His defense at third base has gradually improved as well -- he's never going to be plus but improving his footwork gets him to the ball a little faster now, while his arm was adequate enough for the position. I would have traded Cosart straight-up for Moran, my No. 55 prospect coming into 2014, so getting Marisnick as well while including an extra guy like Hernandez is a huge win for the team.

We saw very few significant prospects traded at this year's deadline, especially in the final week; there seemed to be a clear preference for buyers to trade major-league assets (who might have fewer years of control left, and less future upside) rather than minor-league ones. If we still consider Marisnick a prospect even though he's lost his rookie status, the Astros got two of the five best such prospects to change hands this week. Moran in particular feels like a tremendous return for Cosart, like getting an extra top-10 draft pick, which the Astros could use this year.[/rquoter]

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

No mention of the comp pick in that article

4. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Cheers, thanks. Not surprised that he doesn't mention Wates, the comp pick, or Francis Martes. I'm pretty excited about Francis Martes, though. Exactly the type of raw, high-upside arm you'd love to have. Wont' be surprised if he shows up on our top prospects list in 1-2 years.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

SLEEPING on the comp pick, I tell you.

6. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Why does it matter if "most of Houston" hasn't seen a highlight of Marisnick? He has been a top 100 prospect the past couple of years. Many experts think he can be a 5-tool everyday OF. He hasn't done well in the majors in a very small sample size, but the potential is there. I'm not saying that his skills definitely will translate. I just don't see why you are hating on this guy so much.

7. Houston Rockets

Great trade for the astros also Colin Moran was the 6th pick in 2013;

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Know when he'll be ready to play in the majors?

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

What's that article talking about with Cosart's "character issues"

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He got mad at Appel for throwing a bullpen session at Enron Field when he's just a rookie.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, not hating on the guy. Was merely responding to why people aren't giving two flips about the compensation pick.

I'm glad you've been following him. Hopefully he can shore up this banged up OF.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Next year if they want.

13. what

what Member

I can't tell if this was a good trade or a bad trade, but I do know one thing, people that act like the marlins gave up a haul for a future #4 pitcher are clearly delusional. At worst, Cosart is a #2 and he could develop into a #1.

We could have had jordan lyles, cosart, dallas, which looks pretty damn good to me.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That wasn't his first issue.

At worst, he's a #2? This is laughable.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL apparently Cosart is about to show the world he's on Durant's level.

1 person likes this.
  16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dallas must be Cy Young to these people.

17. Major

Major Member

A guy with a WHIP over 1.30 and a low strikeout rate each of the last 4 years (2 in the minors, 2 in the majors) is *at worst* a #2? :confused:

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Did we just trade David Price or something?

And no, even though we know that Jarred Cosart has the tendency to be petulant, I don't believe that he was the anonymous player that blabbed to JJO.

19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Moran is #5 on the updated MLB.com prospect list

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

People who are upset at this trade greatly overvalue the ~10 starts Cosart had left in 2014. This move makes the team likely better and definitely more balanced in 2015, not just a few years from now.