1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dr. Jack's assessment

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Jun 13, 2003.

1. munco

munco Member

Apologies if this has been posted, but I didn't see it and I've been reading the board daily. We're near ready to contend for a title? I think JVG will really help us and I think Yao should improve this year, but I don't think we're near contending for a title. We didn't even make the playoffs this year.

From Yesterday's (6/12) chat with Dr. Jack on espn.com:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ron, Houston: What will Jeff Van Gundy do differently than Rudy T, and how good will the Rockets be over the next few years?

Dr. Jack Ramsay: JVG will improve the Rockets defense and get more touches for Yao in the offense...both are needed. The Rockets are near ready to contend for the title...I'm a big Van Gundy guy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jeff (Orlando): Which team's future is better, Phoenix or Houston?

Dr. Jack Ramsay: I like both teams...they are both ready for an upswing...but Yao makes the Rockets more complete.

#1 munco, Jun 13, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2003
  2. steve francis

steve francis Member

I was surprised by his response, and I was the one who asked the first question(for once he answered my question!!!) Near ready to contend- I like the doctor's prognosis!!

3. declan32001

declan32001 Member

"Near ready" to contend is open to intepretation, 2004 seems realistic to me. I do repect Ramsay.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

My sentiment exactly which I just placed in another thread.

I love this team as is except Maddox. I would keep Posey, Tmo and Collier. Contrary to what many think I would like the team to help Collier. There is the potetial there to make that left-hand an asset to the team. He is 7ft, he can run the floor, set a serious pic and is capable of having a dead jumper with that left hand. As is completely documented, the west is an absolute dog fight, so the more size and depth you have the better. Heck the Spurs had to call on Willis, who we allowed to leave, and Ferry, why can't we put Collier in a position that we can rely on him too, if and when the need arises. In my opinion, Jason Collins have nothing over him. I do not see us being able to replace Collins with a cheaper option.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Isn't this the same guy who said that Larry Brown wouldn't be coaching this year?

6. munco

munco Member

I just don't know if there's enough PT for Collier since he's #3 on the depth chart at Center.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When we start fouling Shaq and Duncan in the playoffs, there will plenty of playing time for him.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Assesment by Dr. Ramsey is a very much all in places, but the thing that Houston will be a contending team will be the defensive effort from end to end of the floor, it's gonna be a fast phase game, but the ball rotations will be distinctively seen.

9. munco

munco Member

Ha, ha. Might not be a bad idea to keep him around I guess. I hope the refs start giving Yao more calls next year. That makes such a huge difference.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Exactly. I would take anything this senile buzzard says with a grain of salt.

11. SLA

SLA Member

Hehe....mixing up names.

Well yeah. He would be a good guy to resign.

But the thing is he doesn't want to return! He wants to play! He won't get to play here...

TITO MADDOX. Please let him go.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He may not be in his prime but that old buzzard has forgotten more basketball knowledge than most of us in here can ever hope to know.

13. Manny Ramirez

No argument here about this; however, it galls me to no end, how some people think that what this guy says is the gospel. Just because you are featured on ESPN and you have "Dr." in your name doesn't mean you are the only expert out there.

I feel the same way about Peter Gammons and I am a RED SOX fan.

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

hey!! leave andrew jackson alone!! :p

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or is it peter "john lithgow" gammons? hmmm....

[​IMG]

16. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

U ought to go look at his bio.

He is a HOF coach with more than 800 wins in some 19 yrs in the NBA.

17. Manny Ramirez

Like I said, I am not arguing about the man's accomplishments. However, is it that hard to understand my point about people making him out to be a God? Huh?

18. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

He is as close to a BB god as u can get. :)
    He and Auerbach. I can't think of another name !?

19. Band Geek Mobster

Hangout Boy,
    Don't you know how things work around here? If it's favorable for the Rockets, then the guy knows what he's talking about and everything he's said previously is forgotten. If it's negative, then he's a dumbass.

20. Manny Ramirez

LMAO...you do realize that Auerbach won 9 NBA titles and Dr Jack won one??

Also, how about Wooden, Dean Smith, and Bob Knight? You did say basketball and they are all legends.

But that is what constant hype from being on ESPN will do for you...give people the impression that you are really a God when you are getting by off reputation.