1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Harden will be average defender next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Harden will be a ...

1. Above average defender

37 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Average defender

128 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. Below Average

94 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. Same Defense as last year

95 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

James Harden will be a different animal on defense starting next season. He is fully aware of all the criticism he's getting and it has become absolutely ridiculous. All this hate will fuel him.

2. DocRock

DocRock Member

I don't think he has the conditioning to play any better defense than he currently plays. Losing Parsons and Lin is only going to increase his offensive burden, especially if/when the bench starts pissing away leads or Dwight gets hurt. His defense will probably be the same or worse. However, having Ariza gives some leeway where we hide him, so the end result might not be as bad (ie stash him on a SF most nights).

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we could get someone like Dragic, who has his own ability to score, I don't see why we couldn't reduce Harden's minutes without being hurt offensively. If we get someone like Dragic, of course (I'm currently jonesin' for The Dragon). Your point about Harden's pride is a good one. We'll see how much he has. I'm voting that he'll be average next season, and that would be an improvement. Reducing his minutes somewhat is key, in my opinion. That, and a real ******* of a good defensive whiz on the bench, who won't stand for a lack of effort from James or anyone else, with the freedom to sit a player if he doesn't meet a minimum standard at that end of the court.

4. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

I think Harden is going to be motivated and play much better D next year. I could be wrong though.

5. afk

afk Member

All this talk about Harden being "young and still developing," I expect him to be better this year.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The way they are running him to the ground it is physically impossible. I wanted Harden here, I loved him the first year. He's regressed badly and the fingers are pointing towards Mchale.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Lol.

What?

:grin:

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Notice how we had to ADD a plus defender to the starting lineup to cover up Harden's flaws. Factor in that he will be more responsible for creating the offense. Dude will be exactly the same.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think he will shock people.

I think his injuries hampered him all year, but he kept it quiet.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

He will be a good defender in 2016 when we defend our championship from 2015.

11. cxdom

cxdom Rookie

What is wrong with cluthfans. Same coach, same defensive game plan. He is who he is a great scorer but horrible defender.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

Depend on how many minutes he play

13. Rocket90

Rocket90 Member

Harden is not a bad defender, he has taken to his offense more so his defense of old is not there. You are asking too much, first he needs to score more and be clutch, then his defense needs to improve. He plays no lesser defense than all the superstars in the league (except for PF & C positions). He plays "floating" defense, where preserving energy on the defensive end for his offense is more vital to the team. If he plays better defense, his offense takes a minor drop, which we can't afford to happen. His defense can improve, yet that is blown out of proportion due to his superstar status. Next year you have Howard/Ariza/Beverly for defense, that's good enough man....stop whining!!!

14. jackycool

jackycool Member

Not a chance, same defense as last year.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think he will be better offensively and creatively, he has to be with lineup as is. And this is not necessarily a bad thing, as Harden is far from a finished product. And all he has to do is improve enough to be just below average defensively, Rockets will be better team.

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Can we ask Bill O'Brien to make McHale accountable for his actions/mistakes? That's the only real way Harden is going to improve on defense. All we can ask is for him to be at LEAST average. I don't think he's ever going to be any where near the effective 2 way player Paul George is.

Don't stress too much about this guys, it wasn't just Harden's defense last year. We had plenty of weaknesses and they were exploited in the playoffs against the Trailblazers.

17. xm2x

xm2x Member

lol @ 28 people voted "Above average", you guys need a reality check. He's saving energy on offense, defense is just an afterthought for Harden.

18. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

equal or worse than last season. With no playmakers on the team anymore, he will average 45 minutes a game. Will rely on his role players to pick up the slack on D.

19. Houston Rockets

We'll can't be worst then last season. Harden for defensive player of the year:eek:

20. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

What's that old adage for the definition of insanity? All joking aside, if he's not hampered by injury, I think he'll be a decent defender. Although I have my doubts. It's not like we've added any players to take off the scoring load. It also doesn't help that we ride the guy for almost 40 minutes a game either.