1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight says we will be fine without Parsons.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pocketrocket81, Jul 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Aka half the GARM.

2. because24

because24 Member

That's the way we need to hear our starting center talking! And he's right; we do have the best Center and Shooting Guard in the league hands down!

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Harden is still, what, only 24? It's a good guess that he lacks maturity.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are at least consistent in your interpretation of everything. But I think you are really stretching the Morey thing here.

Morey's strategy isn't an expression of doubt in Harden and Howard, it is an expression of doubt in the 3rd best player on the team. Period. We don't know where Morey rates Howard and Harden. What we do know is that he at least thinks they are good enough to be the #1 and #2 guys on a championship team. We know this because Morey himself keeps saying he is looking for a #3. And he would still be doing this even if the team consisted of Lebron James and Michael Jordan. Morey is concerned about not capping out the team and locking themselves into a imperfect set of role players in the rotation.

The players don't have to prove Morey wrong. The only one who has to prove Morey wrong is Parsons. That was the guy Morey's actions doubted.

1 person likes this.
  5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

It's interesting for sure. I expected him to say it was on him & Harden -- he always does. But I did expect more he-will-be-missed/we-were-brothers talk like we got from Bev... not reading a ton into it, but it's interesting.

I love Dwight's sense of accountability, in any event. I was skeptical about him before he got here, but he has very quickly become my 2nd favorite Rocket. Looking for him to have a huge season.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm excited for the coming season, and I know the roster isn't done yet.

So now we just need to get McHale and half the GARM excited. LOL.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

TBH it was never going to be about a guy like Chandler Parsons putting us over the top. With the distance of a week to reflect on the decision, yes, it was a painful one for Rockets fans and management alike, but Morey was right to do it. That was an IBTL situation, and it would only have been worth locking our line-up for the foreseeable future if Chris Bosh was a part of that team. Otherwise, we had to reshuffle the deck a bit and see what other pieces we could add at a later date. None of the guys we could have added in the 48hrs between the Bosh betrayal and the Parsons' deadline would have pushed this roster over the top into championship favorite status.

So we go back to the original thought process that has carried us ever since we signed Dwight--that this team will go as far as our two superstars take us. I like the clarity of direction this team will take on, and there will be unintended benefits to not signing a third max guy like Bosh (or Parsons) and using that money instead to shore up the bench (although we have not yet really made any of those type of moves). Morey makes for dramatic offseasons though, so we'll have to stay tuned and see what the next move is.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I always thought the Parsons recruiting thing was a bit overrated.

He keeps mentioning it starts with him and Harden. He's right, and I think he also knows who carried their weight and didn't in the playoffs. I'm sure he doesn't want to waste his peak years with someone who's not totally committed. Howard has no problems holding himself accountable but now it's Harden's turn.

9. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Great to hear

10. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Why wouldn't Harden be committed? He just had a bad series.

11. SuperManRocketz

time for harden to jack up all his shots and miss all of it during the playoffs..well if they make it this season..

12. King901

King901 Member

Been past time for are the lof to leave, why you still here?

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Give it a rest, for the love of . . . the Rockets. Every team tries to get better every year.

14. MONON

MONON Member

I thought the same thing. Something along the lines of "It would have been nice to keep Chandler, but we didn't. Now it's on us!" would have sufficed.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

But that theory doesn't jive with the Harden is the anti Christ, on and off the court, line some like to run with.

16. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

That is the attitude we need out of our leader. I don't care what the national media says about him, I am glad he is here. He has matured a butt load since being here and seems determined. Go red nation

17. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Might be some bitterness from Dwight. He took a pay cut to come here and Chandler leaves for more money.

18. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I don't know if I really believe what he's saying but I'm damn glad he's saying it. Dwight is stepping up and being a leader here, taking ownership of the situation. This not only gets the team fired up to compete but also bodes well for him staying with the Rockets past his current contract. I'm happy.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You think Morey would have chosen potential 2015 cap room to shoot for a 3rd max player over retaining Parsons while adding other guys via the MLE, TPE, BAE, etc. if his team had a combo like Shaq and Kobe as stars 1 and 2? It's pretty clear what Morey thinks: our two top guys are very good-- worth their max money and more-- but don't compare to some of the real superstar combos.

Morey's said in the Bleacher Report interview that he believes that the team has 2 of the top 10 players in the NBA. Does he consider either or both of them to be in the top 5 or does he think of them as, say, the 7th and 10th best in the NBA?

20. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Howard and Bev are easily my two favorites on the team. I'm shocked at how much I love Dwight since he's been a Rocket. Maybe it's just homerism, but before he was here I thought he was just a primadonna who could never be satisfied...but it seems I was judging too soon.