1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can the Rockets acquire Bledsoe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lmdickson, Jul 17, 2014.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm not sure what Phoenix wants, but I would imagine it would take TJones, draft picks AND Beverley to get them to consider trading us Bledsoe.

And if we had to trade Beverley for him, I'm not sure if it would be worth it. Sure, we would improve some at the PG spot, but would have significantly weakened the already weakest spot in our team at PF.

Although I would love having Bledsoe for our team (although I would be worried about his injury history), Dragic seems like he would be easier to get

2. newAge_Rockets

Yuck, both Morris twins in the starting lineup! And you're trading a sure fire, young star in James Harden for a point guard that can't seem to stay healthy!! IMO, your trade would make us a perennial 4 or 5 seed in the Western conference IF Bledsoe stays healthy. Also, since your plan has a Morris starting at the 4, we will still be burned by the other WC power forwards.

3. mmil15

mmil15 Member

Drugs are incredibly powerful things.

4. alethios

alethios Member

Cleverly disguised HOH post

5. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Do we know how we can do this?

Can we still operate with cap space? I thought we already made moves to operate above the cap.

If we go SNT route we can only use our TPE right? But that's not nearly enough

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We're slightly under the cap in actually salaries but we can operate as we are above the cap because our exceptions are also counted against the cap. If we renounced our exceptions we'd be below the cap.

Getting Bledsoe would still be really tough to pull off though.

The TPE isn't large enough to cover Bledsoe's salary.

If you assume a $15M starting salary for Bledsoe then we'd have to send out $9.93M in salary in order to be able to take back $15M in salary. This assumes that we are going to continue to operate above the cap and retain our exceptions. That would be impossible to do since Gee and Hopson can't be aggregated in a trade for 2 months.

We could try and operate under the cap but there's almost no way to open enough space be able to get bledsoe (either by outright signing or trading) if he's going to make more than $12M first year salary. Additionally,to get to that $12M cap space number we'd have to get rid of Gee, Hopson, D-Mo, Jones, Canaan and Covington and we'd have to renounce our exceptions.

#26 aelliott, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Would a 3rd team with space help?

8. chandlerbang21

Offer him more than the. 4 year 44 mill presented by phoenix/thread

9. TheGreatWall

TheGreatWall Member

A wise man once told me that Eric Bledsoe was the second coming of Dominique Wilkins.

10. Dash

Dash Member

Can we have Dragic instead?

11. Sanity2disChaos

Dragic is better.

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

13. StripedPajamas

This is one of the worst ideas I have ever seen.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

As it stands now we have a little bit over $56 million in committed salaries (per Shamsports).

If they remove the nonguaranteed contracts of Gee, Powell, and Hopson it drops our total salaries to $50.4 million. If we're to believe that the salary cap is $63 million for next year, we have a little short of $13 million...maybe $12.6 million? I would throw an offer of 2 years $26 million at Bledsoe with a player option and trade kicker attached to year 2 just for grins and see if Phoenix would match.

15. flipmode

flipmode Member

what about ramon sessions? pass-first playmaker with driving ability. big enough to handle larger pgs. decent budget solution.

16. flipmode

flipmode Member

whoops, sent too soon. a weird combo of skip and steve nash.

17. aelliott

You'll also need to add in an additional $500K for each empty roster slot under 12 (I'm not sure how many players you have in your scenario).

Additionally, remember that in order to sign Bledsoe to an offer sheet you'd also have to renounce all of our exceptions. That means if Phoenix matches then we don't get Bledsoe and we don't get our exceptions either.

18. aelliott

Edit: Actually no a third team doesn't help since we want to acquire Bledsoe at his new salary. That's 15 million in so it needs to be 9.8 million out from us and we don't have the contracts to match that can be aggregated right now.

#38 aelliott, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ahhh so that's the catch.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Got to convince this man...Rich Paul...his agent.
    [​IMG]