1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[George Karl] "Rockets let Parsons go because they are going after a PG"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jul 16, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I would agree with this -- something strange is going on there. I'd also note that they've done nothing in the frontcourt to replace Channing Frye, who played in all 82 games and gave them nearly 30 minutes/night a season ago. Terrence Jones is a guy that in my view would absolutely excel in that system, too.

I don't know if it'll happen this summer or during the season, but it just feels like either Bledsoe or Dragic eventually gets moved in a deal targeting frontcourt help.

2. gregas

gregas Member

Sure, sure, PHX HAS TO trade somebody because"to many guards!!!", just like they HAD TO trade on of Dragic/bledsoe last year, because that is never, ever going to work. Everybody knows that.

For real, they formed a top 3 back court, and they may have a plan to trade some of their guards, but i think Bledsoe and Dragic are the two most likely to stay.5'9 Thomas is way to physically limited to ever form a successful tandem with a 6'1 Bledsoe, and Ennis is projected to be nothing special. And everybody is forgetting that even with bledsoe on a max, every single one of them is a positive asset that can net you a nice haul in a trade. The best thing for the Suns is to sign Bledsoe and worry about fit later. They already know that him and Goran are great together.

And that trade is laughably horrible.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You keep saying that, when you should, in my opinion, be saying that he's a 1/2, a guy who played at the one for us, and is playing primarily as a two for the Suns. If we got him, he'd still be a 1/2, but more of a point.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah, that's true.

The point though is that it isn't like he and Bledsoe are playing like Lin/Beverly.

They are not splitting the minutes at the 1, they are splitting the 1 and the 2 and it worked VERY well.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

14 pages on this?!? The assertion makes no sense, so I assign it no credibility. The stated reason is the obviously correct reason -- Morey wants flexibility to add another 'elite' player. Would Morey insist that third elite player by a point guard? After he just struck out on his 3rd elite player targets Bosh and Carmelo, who are both forwards? No, that makes no sense. Point guards cannot have anything at all to do with decision to let Parsons go. This is nonsense.

Of course, now with Lin gone, it would be good to get a veteran PG to pair with Beverley for the coming season.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think it is Morey insisting on it being a point guard, I think it is that Morey thinks there is a point guard available that would fit the bill as a third star.

It is all speculation at this point. George Karl says weird things all the time, his "weirdness" has caused him to wear out his welcome a number of places.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

RPM is a fit stat, it's basically telling you how well a player fits into the system he's in. Beverley for example, being alongside Harden and in front of Dwight is in fit heaven, if you throw him alongside a catch and shoot SG and a Spencer Hawes, he'd probably drop into the negatives with the same play.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

With Morey's success rate getting good PG play just about anywhere he goes I doubt this to have any validity.

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

I mispoke. The #2 point is for a PF, not Dragic.

They JUST SIGNED THOMAS and JUST DRAFTED ENNIS. They are committed to those guys. If anyone is getting delt, it's Bledsoe or Dragic. They have the restricted FA tag on Bledsoe, which means they can get him committed for up to 5 years. They have ONE year left of Dragic, who they could very well lose in free agency next year to a team like Houston.

If we disagree they they can get more than a lottery pick for Dragic, tell me which team. As another poster referenced:

Boston - Rondo and Smart
    Nets - DWill
    NYK - Calderon. No assets.
    76ers - MCW
    Toronto - Lowry
    Bulls - Rose
    Cavs - Kyrie
    Pistons - Potentially an option. Could SnT Monroe.
    Pacers - Hill. No assets.
    Bucks - Maybe if they are willing to trade Henson.
    Hawks - Teague
    Hornets - Walker. Just signed Ridnour.
    Heat - No assets
    Magic - Just drafted Payton. Traded 2 picks to get him
    Wizards - Wall
    Warriors - Curry
    Clippers - CP3
    Lakers - Just acquired Lin. 1 year left of Nash. Only tradable asset is Julius Randle, who I doubt they would be willing to give up.
    Kings - Just acquired Collision. Could be a potential option.
    Mavericks - No assets
    Grizzlies - Conley
    Pelicans - Jrue Holiday
    Spurs - Parker
    Nuggets - Lawson
    Wolves - Rubio
    Thunder - Westbrook
    Blazers - Lillard
    Jazz - Drafted Exum this year. Drafted Burke last year.

So AT MOST, our competition are the Kings, Lakers, Bucks, and Pistons. Of those, the Lakers, Bucks, and Kings are unlikely for a variety of different reasons.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

So is that list who you think they can trade for, its a list with guards. Ideally they would want to trade for forward/centers, since they are loaded at guard. I might have misunderstood your point.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Has Drew been banned from this board yet?

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

13. gregas

gregas Member

They signed Thomas to be the third guard of the bench, and drafted Ennis because he was BPA at that point, that doesn't men a long-term commitment. It utterly preposterous that you'd have to trade your All-nba guard, because you have an unproven rookie drafted at 18 sitting on your bench.

14. pass_to_Hakeem

Beverly isn't a championship caliber pg. Pg is 1 of our weakest position from start to backup! He is a 3rd tier pg. That will not suffice!!

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Is Mario Chalmers a championship caliber pg? Kenny Smith? John Paxson? Ron Harper? Avery Johnson? Derek Fisher?

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

So if you are SET at a particular position, you go BPA regardless of your needs? That doesn't make sense.

If you are set, James Harden and Dwight Howard type set, you find complimentary players or try to fill your holes.

The draft is not always BPA.

The Ariza signing should have taught us something. Parsons was gone the second the Ariza commitment came through. We should have known that at the time, but we didn't.

I don't quite buy that Thomas went to PHX to be a backup. That was one of the reasons he left SAC.....he wanted to start (and get paid).

Let's say you are right. PHX keeps Dragic and resigns Bledsoe. Bledsoe signs for $12 million (probably low balling) and Dragic picks up his player option next year and resigns for a similar number ($12 million). You've now got $31 million and and 1st round pick tied up in your guard slots....and that assumes Dragic comes back as an unrestricted free agent next season (you can't control him).

PHX has spent all these resources on PGs because of 2 things: they don't want to pay Bledsoe the max, and they are afraid Dragic leaves in free agency.

17. double d

double d Contributing Member

We need at least 1-2 scorers who can create offense from the bench - at ANY position

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If it's a trade for one (like Dragic), not matching Parsons wouldn't make sense. You'd match Parsons, trade for Dragic and go to war. You'd only not match to keep the cap space for one, like Bledsoe. But, we probably don't have cap space enough after Ariza to make him an offer Phoenix wouldn't match anyway. Also don't see how Bledsoe is more elite than Parsons. So, still skeptical.

19. bmd

bmd Member

With all due respect... his would George Karl know what the Rockets' plans are?

20. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Totally agree with you...

Better yet.... What is the definition of a Championship Caliber pg?

T_Man