1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas BBQ

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 22, 2010.

1. jay_09

jay_09 Contributing Member

Last time I went on a Saturday evening there was no line.

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MQRiWZOvRg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/22eUN83jVq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. tinman

Supporting Member

4. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

coincidentally enough, I went to high school with the girl who (and her dad) got her lunch bought by Obama at the front of the line. Pretty neat.

5. dragician

dragician Member

Killen is the best.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

That's pretty cool. I wonder if they knew he was coming, I bet they did.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>So I'm in austin with a little time to kill. Decide to try Franklin bbq, but president Obama is there. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/upstaged?src=hash">#upstaged</a> <a href="http://t.co/H0z14MEqO1">pic.twitter.com/H0z14MEqO1</a></p>&mdash; john henderson (@Avemma24) <a href="https://twitter.com/Avemma24/statuses/487310294050701312">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Has any been to Pecan Lodge since they have relocated to Deep Ellum? What is the line situation like?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Franklin's but it is more of a "hot spot" now, the BBQ is good, but not the best, IMO.

DD

9. Buck Turgidson

I haven't been back there in a few weeks, and I'm not saying this has happened yet, but this is the typical cycle: brilliant when they're small, still brilliant when they're getting popular, still great for years, then you get really popular, then the quality declines. You just can't keep up with demand without expanding, and expanding diminishes the quality.

La and Franklin's are definitely the best storebought bbq in Austin, without a doubt.

10. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Corkscrew in The Woodlands is easily the best I have had in Houston. The brisked might be a little more towards the heavy exterior bark/char and smoke flavors the time I had it than say La Barbecue which is a little more balanced. Their puled pork is also great.

#810 Kilgore Trout, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

they changed their ribs, they are on par or better than the brisket.

Oh, this place was awesome when I went, it just opened.

http://austin.eater.com/tags/terry-blacks-barbecue

they gave me a new cut of the fatty brisket, thought it was really good

Also I like Friedman's in West Campus

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Same here. Great BBQ, but I like LA and Freemans better.

Slightly off topic. I just had the pork chop at Perry's steakhouse for the first time. I know it's a chain restaurant, but that was the best tasting pork chop I have ever had. Technically it's BBQ since it is slow smoked.

[​IMG]

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Perry's is fantastic. The pork chop is awesome. Their cowboy ribeye is a thing of beauty. My favorite place to eat and take clients.

And you're a SOB for posting that pic when I'm hungry.

14. Major

Major Member

The new John Mueller's is great too, though it seems like just a matter of time before he runs himself out of business somehow. Great BBQ-maker, terrible businessman.

The new Black's just opened on Barton Springs and it's fantastic as well. I don't wait 3 hours in line, so I haven't been to Franklin's since it was a trailer, but LaBBQ, John Mueller's, and Black's are all in a tier just below Snow's in my opinion (Snows really is just great for their brisket, though).

15. Buck Turgidson

So true about Mueller. There was a great article in Texas Monthly about him & his family.

Haven't tried Black's or John Mueller's yet, typically only eat ATX bbq when I'm in town with out-of-towners, but will definitely give them a try. Like you, I really don't feel the need or desire to wait in line for bbq; if I'm going to do that, I might as well stay home, make a day of it and do it myself.

16. jay_09

jay_09 Contributing Member

Perry's pork chop is awesome.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'll consign on the Pork chop from Perry's. Tastes amazing with the apple sauce too.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

19. the shark

the shark Member

I went to Killen's last week for lunch for the first time. I had very high expectations going in as everything I read (and heard) was really good.

Since it was the first time I've been there I wanted to order a few different things to get a feel for everything. I ordered their brisket, turkey, and they had Bbq chicken as the special that day. Also ordered their cole slaw and baked beans as sides.

All I can say is I was freakin BLOWN away at how good it was!!!!!!

Their brisket and turkey was the best I've ever had. Their sauce is incredible as well.

I am yet to try Franklin's, but the bar has been set EXTREMELY high by Killen's.

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Kileens is amazing best bbq period. I don't mind Gatlins or corkscrew if I am in those areas but I look for excuses to go to Kileens