1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rashard Lewis signs 1 year deal with Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Pete the Cheat

addition by subtraction. Asik was a no show most of the reguar season, and Lin just wasn't very good.

Parsons is a loss, but his impact is overstated.

now get back to your sub par trolling

2. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

I guess only time will tell there Pete, but on paper you don't seem to be better then you were last year. Though that could change if Harden would just give his full effort on defense. I still don't get the Lakers comment though...I am a Mavs fan...never denied that. I am members of boards for a ton of different NBA teams. I love talking basketball with all types of fans and seeing other teams perspectives of players and coaches. Feel free to put me on ignore if I annoy you that much.

3. Pete the Cheat

based on your join date and the Harden fat jokes I was assuming you were a Lin troll.
    if you are simply a Mavs fan I guess I will just take pity on you instead.

fact of the matter is our bench was pretty sorry last year.
    there are a lot of factors that played in to that, one big one which has not changed is be poor coaching

but all the drama surrounding Lin and Asik most of the year played just as large of a roll.

I will say the guys they have brought in fill a specific roll.
    Ariza will cover up some of Harden's defensive warts better than Chandler did.
    Between either Nick Johnson or Canaan, there will be no drop off at back-up PG.
    Joey Dorsey is no Asik, but he will provide better interior D than either Jones or DMo offered in that roll for most of last year while Asik was pouting.

Casspi and Garcia were zeros last year for us, so either of Gee or Papalinkou have a very low bar to be considered a succesful replacement.

just my thoughts

4. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

I agree that Ariza may be a better fit next to Harden but that is only based on the fact that Harden does not even attempt to play defense. I know the guy can be a decent defender, I watched him do it in OKC. For some reason when he got to Houston he has just given up completely on the defensive end. Mchale lets this go on and that is what I would have a problem with if I was a Rockets fan. He needs to be held accountable to the point where if he is not willing to attempt to play defense then I would put him in the 6th man role until he understood that you need a 2 way player starting.

The star of your team sets the mood of the team. Chandler was a good defender his Rookie season was he not? Harden not caring about defense has a trickle down effect to the other players. Parsons will be a better defender in Dallas not because he all of a sudden gains more defensive skills, but because he will either give full effort on defense or Carlisle will throw his ass on the bench.

No need to take pitty on me because I am a Mavs fans. To be honest I see so much hate on this board against the Mavs and I just don't get it. Mavs fans in general don't have much hate towards the Rockets though. We see Morey as an overrated GM who has traded away some amazing players and still sits at a first round exit team. It seems the Rockets view us as a rivalry when our rivals are more Spurs and Miami.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're rationalizing. None of those guys had a negative impact on winning. You only get addition by subtraction by eliminating guys that actually hurt you.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think it can be argued that Lin was a negative value in the playoffs. His bonehead play at the end of game 4 (?) probably cost us that game.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

No doubt that Dallas will be able to score next year.

Defensively, they are going to be really really bad.

8. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

rashard lewis will never forget 1998.

9. Pete the Cheat

For half the season Asik literally had no impact on winning...because he refused to play. So if Dorsey can provide half of Asik's true value, would that net the same result?

And no matter your opinion of Lin, his production as a back-up last year can be easily replaced by the options we already have in house, whether that be Canaan, Johnson or Daniels. For all of the scrutiny Morey has had over the past couple weeks...you can't question his apptitude for finding productive under the radar PGs.

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I guess your right, besides you cant have too many shooters. Lewis will probably also back up/play with Dirk at the 4 so he does help their depth.

Their biggest remaining need which IMO always their biggest need after signing Parsons, is a defensive wing to guard the Kobes, Harden, Klay thompson etc. Right now the only players they have to do that is Parsons, monte & crowder? :(