1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Offense is now a problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jul 15, 2014.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Offense will be around the same that it was last year. Canaan can score 10-12 points per game given minutes to replace Lin's scoring. I'm more worried if he can defend. Daniels will score. Maybe Nick Johnson becomes a factor as well. Ariza cancels out Parsons. They pretty much had the same stats across the board offensively. Harden, Howard, and Jones will do what they did last year. I really don't see offense being an issue at all. That said, I'd like to see some additional roster moves made. I like the Dorsey signing, but he is a step down from Asik, but one guy makes 1 million per year and the other will make 15 million this year so that is to be expected. Adrian is a solid and underrated pickup as well, but I still have my fingers crossed for a bigger splash move.

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Uh, Harden shot 37% from 3 and that was after a terrible start.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

OMG how is Ariza ever going to fill Chandler's scoring shoes!!

Ariza 14ppg
    Chandler16ppg

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think we'll see T Jones take it up a notch, and Canaan + Daniels will boost our bench scoring. Papanikolau seems like a scorer too if he's coming over.

What I'm really excited about if that we will probably improve our defense dramatically enough that a slight drop off in offense would still mean we improve our record.

5. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Definitely hurts to not have Lin right now, especially because of the first rounder that went out with him. Expiring contract, versatile scorer when Harden is out. He really was a good player when he was on. Too bad he was just so inconsistent. Anyway, that's all in the past so no sense crying over spilled milk.

What's Patrick Patterson up to these days?

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

1 star thread. will not read again

7. CertifiedTroll

Don't worry we just brought in Joey.

8. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Totally agree with OP.

we do not have anyone outside of H&H Who are offensive creaters.

Defensively we have improved, but once Haden and Howard sit, it gets pretty depressing AS OF RIGHT NOW.

Offseason isn't over, we need a spark off the bench.

9. vator

vator Contributing Member

Offensive creators. Chandler didn't create offense and Lin was wildly inconsistent. Chandler was good at keeping the ball moving, but he wasn't really creating offense much. Lin would some games and other games he'd hang out around the 3 point line. I'm not saying they weren't important, but I think they're production is replaceable.

10. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Let's see if Ariza continues to produce after signing his contract or will he revert back to his norm of ~10pts/game on 41% shooting.

11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

We have a serious problem on this board with people just making up numbers...go look them up or just stop all together.

12. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

I would like Marion and Rodney stuckey off the bench.

We would be an improved team with that lineup

13. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

In the Playoffs, Lin was a different player. I think he step it up to another level and stay consistent and I think that experience have changed him and make him a better player. But I'm sure people forgot about it by now and continue to look at the past. Too bad he's now bringing all that experience to the Lakers and leave Rockets empty handed. That's what you get for disrespecting players. You get nothing in the end. That's why Chandler left, that's why Lin was glad to be out of here, that's why Asik feel relief, that's why Melo don't want any drama, that's why Bosh is willing to forfeit winning Championship and stay in Miami.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Who was the third option on the 93-95 Rockets? Hint: IT DIDN'T MATTER.

The playoffs showed me that we should go back to running our offense inside out rather than outside-in. Dwight doesn't need to post up 15 times a game, but he needs to be the distributor inside to get us to our maximum potential. Having someone inside who can win a one-on-one regularly draws the defense in and opens it up for everyone else. Harden will be much more efficient if Dwight can establish himself early.

Dwight has been most effective historically when surrounded with shooters. We don't need guys who can create off the dribble. We need a bunch of defenders, bull dogs, and then guys who make you pay off the catch-and-shoot.

Having Asik and Parsons was nice last year, but it was kind of like having a Porsche in the garage of a house in second ward. Now, we are putting our money where we can use it, and I expect more cohesiveness and unity as far as the offensive and defensive gameplan are concerned. Parsons was always fun to watch scoring on his own or ad-libbing, but it's not like it was the most efficient part of our offense. On top of that, he completely sold out on defense because he knew the offense would be where he made his money this offseason.

There were a lot of contrasting agendas on that team last year. Now the message will be clear: bust your butt on D and let the offense run through Howard and Harden, or sit your butt down.

1 person likes this.
  15. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Harden and Howard touches will only increase, which in turn means more efficient scoring if you ask me.

We can play inside out this year as well, Howard with shooters is still deadly.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

:grin:

relax guys, there's still plenty offseason left. some deals go down in august.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Speaking of Jones.

Lets please remember that he was bound to be inconsistent with his extreme lack of experience. He's coming back with a full season under his belt now and really can only go up from here. Whether he marginally improves or drastically remains to be seen I guess.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We lost offensive juggernauts Asik, Lin, and Parsons

1 person likes this.
  19. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Just to clarify. I don't think this is a "the sky is falling" thread - but rather a: "what else could we use in FA" thread.

20. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

this is where I stopped reading.