1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dirk Nowitzki has just agreed to a new deal with MAVS

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by betterhomesbytj, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dude1394

dude1394 Member

A better team?

2. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Some thing is not right here... I bet Dirk got his money up front in cash. That's why he doesn't care anymore and is gona say all the right things about not wanting money anymore.

3. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

Why are there so many idiots on this board?

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dirk Nowitzski:
    Former NBA champion
    Former Finals MVP
    Former MVP (3 X in top 5 voting)
    12-time NBA All-Star
    12-time All-NBA Team (1st X 4, 2nd X 5, 3rd X 3)
    Still going strong
    $8.4M per year

Chandler Parsons:
    2nd-round draft pick
    Modeled with a hot chick once
    $15M per year

What's wrong with this picture?

5. vator

vator Contributing Member

I'm only salty about this because it allowed them to offer Parsons the contract that Dirk should have had by Dirk being paid like he is Parsons. It's like they switched contracts. Mark Cuban came out smelling like a rose on this one. Poor Dirk though. I don't see them winning it all with this lineup so it's like he gave his money away for nothing.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Quite literally, and Monta can bolt next summer if he doesn't like pretty boy's ball hogging, if I understand his contract correctly.

7. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

One of them is not the same

8. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

I did some quick googling and read that he made only 500k in endorsements last year. Just an fyi since many athletes make so much in endorsements, they can afford some salary cuts. Maybe he just already has more than he knows what to do with...but he sure did give up some $$$

If anyone knows more about his off-the-court income situation please enlighten us.

9. vince

vince Member

Good for Dirk. He can teach Parson how to be a bonnafide star, which Morey will offer a full max in two years from now.....

10. gregas

gregas Member

Yup, a few years ago he said he doesn't understand why so many athletes spend so much energy on promoting products, when they already made all the money they will ever need. It's just seems to be an unwanted hassle to him.

11. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

He doesn't do ads and much endorsements to speak of. Doesn't have an agent to negotiate contracts are anything. I can't link articles with my phone but this is the case. He doesn't have anything to prove MVP, championship, all-star nothing. You would think he would take one last max contract before retirement. To the idiots whining about why some others would second guess this, were not new to extreme loyalty. Yoa is def loyal, but dam man 4 years $80mill vs $30mill. You gotta question that logic. He's given Dallas all they could dream, go get paid son and retire to the hall of fame.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do people automatically assume that there's some under the table transaction going on? The fact that Dirk doesn't do much endorsement seems to indicate that he truly doesn't care that much about money.

Endorsement money is the easiest money a star athlete like him can get. But he chose to not take it.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe because no player has left $60M on the table before?

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL there's no question nowitzki's better, but that's why he's the #1 guy and Parsons is #3....if you want to slant it, then do this

Dirk Nowitkzi
    -Traded for Robert Traylor

Parson
    --started Rookie year as 2nd round pick

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

And because we're talking about Mark Cuban. Not a typical old-school NBA owner.

16. nef2005

nef2005 Member

So the Heat trio take a paycut and are vilified, but Dirk does and he is a hero.

The CBA is broken.

17. torocan

torocan Member

The Heat Trio took pay cuts for two of their players to LEAVE their teams and join up. Their trio was Guaranteed because they decided in advance that they would play together.

Dirk is taking a pay cut and STAYING with his team, and he has NO idea who that money will end up going to... whether that's Parsons for $15M, or role players that he's never met and has no idea how good they'll be.

One is sure bet, the other is an act of blind faith in the GM, Head Coach and the Team as well as an act of Loyalty.

That's why they're different.

18. nef2005

nef2005 Member

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that Dirk will get his money back via some off the court job. That seems like circumnavigating the CBA to me.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Maybe there's some loyalty there, but Dirk is someone who struck me as all about basketball and kind of a homebody. I think there was a segment on him on 60 minutes after they won the championship. I think he's just content being in Dallas, playing basketball, and obviously doesn't care about the business side or celebrity.

But like I said in another thread he's got to be at least a little pissed off he took a cut for a third option who's going to make more than him.

20. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Dirk is an all-time class act.

Yes, his loyalty to Cuban will pay off if he ever needs it (doubts he ever does), but like a poster has said, I remember reading an article about him, he is just a humble guy who really doesn't care about all the glitz and glamor.

Polar opposite from chandler, but then again its not like dirk was playing on a million dollar contract