1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did we get the wrong "Stars"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I thought when we got our two stars and they mentioned players would want to come here to play with them, that they were talking about players of a higher ilk than Jeff Adrian and Joey Dorsey. I get the swing for the fences and strike out, but to me a strike out would have been filling out the roster with legitimate NBA players.

Can it be that other "stars" don't want to play with these guys unless forced to? (Bosh seems to be the only one willing to do so if not for the 5th year)

2. carib

carib Member

Bosh stated that the reason he did not come to Houston was because he did not want to be the third string anymore, he wanted to be top dog again. It will be hard to attract offensively elite players because they don't want to be third in the pecking order.

3. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

We got the only ones available.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Loving Miami, Max with 5th year and zero expectations with Lebron leaving does not hurt either.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here we go again with this BS.

Here is the only question you need to ask yourself-

If Harden or Howard were to hit free agency tomorrow, would players .... not just teams but players participate in recruiting them???

If your answer is yes, than I think its impossible to say that "players don't want to play with our stars".

On the flip-side, its possible that those other players might not enjoy the smell of Dwight's farts, or might enjoy being around someone that is less "weird"(Harden refers to himself as being very weird) or less laid back than James, but that's a completely different question than "Do they want to be teammates with them"???

Obviously if they are being recruited... then it makes sense that players want to play with them.

6. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

PLus he already won......more titles, will not add to his legacy. If he won 0 titles in Miami I think it may have been a harder choice.

But he has rings, no pressure, loves life in Miami, go enjoy it and cash in while yo u can, especially since he won't the same off the court money as LeBron or even Parsons with whatever modeling cash he brings in.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

B.S. from bosh

It was the 5th year.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah sort of....seems like these two got a bad rep because of Dwight's personality and Hardens lack of D. I've been reading it a lot lately and I don't think it's just speculation. These media guys just be getting feedback from players.

They need to put all that to rest this year by being more serious and focusing on D...seems like that's the plan anyway anyway.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are no wrong stars.

10. Pete the Cheat

I think you need to go eat some meat brah...

[​IMG]

11. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

We lost out because we are a second tier/non sexy city and because of the fifth year. Most players on the Rockets have said they love Dwight, that he's a really funny and positive guy.

12. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

A team has fans like u guys, and how can the team have gotten two stars?

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If they were wrong, they wouldn't be stars.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yes.

No one wants to play here or with the Rockets two "stars". Cyberx told us this already.

Parsons is right. He's the best recruiter and will take all of Houston's talent to Dallas with him.;)

Houston was begging for someone to take their money and they couldn't even give it away. This is with Howard and Harden. This was post-McGrady/Yao and pre-Harden/Howard all over again. Like when they signed Trevor Ariza in 2009, just as they did this year.

Okay, so they landed Dwight Howard. Who else after that? I'll wait.

Here are a few names:

Dwight Howard
    Trevor Ariza
    Patrick Beverley
    Omer Asik
    Jeremy Lin
    Carlos Delfino
    Sam Dalembert
    Aaron Brooks
    Von Wafer
    Greg Smith
    Brad Miller
    Brent Barry
    James Anderson
    Omri Casspi
    Jeff Adrien
    Ish Smith
    David Andersen
    Steve Francis
    Ronnie Brewer

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If these three players all hit free agency tomorrow, & the Mavs had 1 max salary slot, which player do you think Cuban chooses to have meetings with first-

-Dwight
    -Harden
    or
    -Chandler Parsons

???????????

16. HTM

HTM Member

Did we get the wrong stars?

Dude, we got the stars available.... we certainly were never shifting through a sea of stars and just happened to pick the wrong ones..

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What stars didn't we get? Anthony and Bosh stayed with their current teams. Lebron went back home. Tons of teams had cap space this year and nobody got a star from another team except for Cleveland and that was only because Lebron is from Cleveland.

It's extremely difficult to be able to acquire a star no matter how you do it. For years we had posts about no player wanting to play in Houston and we'd never get a star. Then we get the top 2 stars that changed teams in consecutive years. Now we get close on Bosh but came up short and we seem to be back to the nobody wants to play here complaints.

How many teams would kill to be able to do what we've done in the last 3 years? Just because it didn't work 3 years in a row is no reason to go off the deep end.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Come on, J.R., I love you like a brother, but you're better than this. I'd love to see a similar list of players that have signed for the Thunder, Spurs, Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, Mavericks, Grizzlies, Blazers, or Pacers. Outside of the Clippers and the Heat, I can't think of a team that has attracted stars to come play at a cheaper price. Los Angeles offers lifestyle, as well as the pre-eminent players' coach in Doc Rivers. Miami offered the same thing, as well as LeBron. That's just an overrated notion that players are willing to take significant paycuts to play with superstars. Everybody wants to get paid, and unless you've made your tens of millions, chances are you aren't going to take a paycut to play a sport where an injury is one step away.

19. formido

formido Member

"Houston will still be a strong playoff team, but it’s worse (for now) than it was last season, and that counts as a crusher. One last word on Bosh: He was intrigued by Houston, but he’s 30, he’s super-smart, and he just spent four years playing with two like-minded stars on an older roster for an organization that takes basketball craft seriously. The Rockets do, too, but there is an undercurrent around the league that Harden and Howard don’t represent the most appealing duo of teammates for any star who has lived within ultraserious professionalism."

Howard was great last year, but the jokiness and free-agent dithering hurt his image. The viral videos of Harden’s defense damaged his reputation. It wouldn’t shock me if Bosh at least considered some of that in his decision."

http://grantland.com/features/2014-...-and-losers-houston-rockets-chandler-parsons/

20. BinBinRingRing

It's Lillard's fault.