1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 in the 8:00am hour

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nice Rollin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Actually he did. If Morey is telling the truth that he didn't wanna match the Parsons deal because it was untradeable, then he did view him through the prism of him being an asset and not a player or person.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Glad to hear Troy Daniels will be back.

There is a lot of truth in what Daryl said but what I don't understand is that if you are planning on improving your team through trades, how doe CP25's contract prohibit that?

You are basically basing your trades around 8.5 million trade exception and a lottery draft pick.

Keeping CP25 does not change any of that.

3. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Harden-Howard-Parsons with no flexibility < Harden-Howard-Ariza with all the flexibility.

Point blank. Parsons is a one way playing role player with a bad back and a albatross contract.

DO NOT compare him to Harden in 2012. Harden had one of the most efficient seasons ever and was an Olympic gold medalist. NOT a fiba basketball champion.

Morey made the BEST CHOICE

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Wanna make a $100 tip jar bet they make the playoffs this season?

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We won't miss Parsons. Once we sign our defensive poser forward our defense will improve dramatically.

6. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I think offensively his game is almost there and it will only get better but the dude needs to gain some defensive abilities. If he can be an average rim and team defender and have slightly above average post defense, we should roll with him.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

That was a tremendous interview...the most candid DM ...I love our GM guys...after totally getting $hitted on this entire weekend and taking these punches...our guy is fighting hard on our corner...in Morey I believe.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A lot of spin from DM. Softballs from 790. No one asked him if there were any moves to be made in order to add some depth to the squad. I get the feeling he will stand pat.

9. Possum

Possum Member

So what is your point? Morey sucks for getting two of the best players in the NBA because we lost in the first round?

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He better do something. Because waiting til next offseason to try to add another big name free agent will just be a rerun of this summer.

11. PeppermintCandy

Thanks for the recap FTW Rockets FTW.

"We are still a top 4 team"
    I'm not sure I buy that at this point. We lost a lot more contributing players (Parsons, Asik, Lin) than we've gained this offseason. (Ariza)
    I do agree that keeping roster flexibility was much more valuable than matching for Parsons.

I am also surprised that Morey's choice to make Parsons an RFA wasn't brought up during the interview. Though I suppose Morey would just say that it was a risk that was worth taking.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Things missed in decent recap that was posted already:

1) The Morey Doctrine: You have to have 3 elite players to win a title with very few exceptions throughout history.

2) The Harden Situation: We are betting on Harden/Dwight. You can criticize for that if you want, but we are betting on them. Truth is that next to Harden we needed a really good wing defender. (Parsons not being that guy was implied)

3) Defense Matters: We need to be top 10 defense to win title. With Harden on the floor we have to have a strong wing defender next to him to have any hope of being top 10 defense.

4) Ariza's Value: We think he's one of the best defenders in the league. We love him as a player. He's a perfect fit next to Harden. He can finish at the rim, run the floor, get to the corners for the three quickly, plays great defense. We loved him when we signed him last time but then Yao/Tracy fell apart and we had to rebuild.

5) Parsons could have been the 3rd piece: Love Chandler Parsons. He could have been the third piece but it wasn't for sure. The chances of all the other possibilities having one work out were higher than Parsons working out.

6) The core would have been locked in: If we matched Parsons that would have been our team. We would have no flexibility to change it, so either Harden/Parsons/Howard can win the title or the Harden/Howard core never would.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Hit 'em Up?

Lol, whatever. Did Morey **** Cubans woman?

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because it's Morey. Every word from his mouth reinforces what everyone in the league knows: if you're not a super-duper-uper star, he signs or drafts you so that he can trade you.

I give him all sorts of props, but he's a little blind with this "three superstars" thing, and watching him maneuver constantly reminds me of the movie "Moneyball". Constantly.

I have faith he'll pull something out of his culo, but it might take time for whatever's stuck up there to cook properly.

15. Illegal Machine

Uhh, I think he was pretty clear that by the time the playoffs start next year we'll have a better squad because of the flexibility we still have with the trade exceptions and lottery pick we got in the Asik deal.

That means he plans on making moves.

I thought the questioning was fine.

16. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Best news from that interview Troy Daniels WILL be back.

17. Progs

Progs Member

I can't believe what I am reading...

Some of you guys actually believe we won't make the playoffs?!?!!? :rolleyes:

18. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Anyone who reasonably thought that matching Parsons max contract was smoking something awesome, please share it with the rest of us. Sure you bring back Parsons.. then what? How far did that squad get us last year? The team didn't just lose to Portland because of one single thing. It was a combination of things, if this isn't a wake up call for Harden I don't know what is.

A team can only go as far as the best player is willing to take it, not just on offense (because we've seen what Harden can do when he can get it rolling) but specifically on defense as well. He has to play at least average defense for this team to do any sort of damage in the play offs.

Our next position that needs to be addressed is PF, obviously Jones is a young player with inconsistencies in his amount of effort night in and night out. He has shown flashes of some pretty good stat stuffing but if he can't post up 10pts/6rebs/1.5 blocks a game then we need to find another suitable PF.

It seems like Morey has confirmed that the Hornets are not looking to trade Ryan Anderson for Asik. He states multiple times that the Rockets have a lottery pick next year (probably a good motivation for him to move both of our picks in '15 draft to ship Lin out of here). As it stands right now though I don't see how much this team can improve with replacing Parsons with Ariza. We shore up our defense up but then what? So many question marks..

19. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

He's on 610 as well, as of 8:30 am

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm close to believing this. Very close.