1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets will NOT match the Chandler Parsons offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 13, 2014.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

Exactly I think we are better off now then before.

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

DD,

I remember Ariza as bleh as well but please don't look past the situation. Ariza came in with a green light as option 1a. That was horrible. Last year he was option 2-5 depending on the night and was much more of a spot up shooter, fast break finisher and defender.

Trevor's last year in Houston his usage rate was 21%+ his highest if his career by far. This past year 17.8... It's a meaningful and important difference.

The Rockets have had no problems scoring for a long time now. Basically since JVG was fired. Last year was no exception. Even in the playoffs. The team is horrible defensively, especially on the perimeter.

Finally Chandler as a 18-20 ppg guy gets me as excited as Gordon Hayward as an 18-20 ppg guy. Eg. Who cares? The NBA has been littered with these 18-20 ppg guys on bad or mediocre teams forever. They're empty points. Chandler gives you other stuff ... But so do a number of other SF's in that 2nd/3rd tier. Batum, Leonard, Deng, Iggy, Jeff Green, Rudy Gay. Paying any of those guys $15+ million is ludicrous.

This comes back to bite Morey in the completely unlikely scenario that Parsons becomes. 20-25 ppg, 6-7 rpg guy that also plays defense on a solid team. Seems really unlikely.

The bigger issues is why make him a FA in the first place and passing on Leonard for Morris. And McHale... Those are the mistakes now that far and away super dee and past or current Ariza signing.

The Rockets starting 5 will be fine if not improved with Ariza. They are still in desperate need of legitimate bench players. A Love or Bledsoe magic would be amazeballs.... But you can clearly win with great team play offensively and defensively.

2 people like this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I gotta say that I haven't been this pissed at Les and Morey since they let Dragic walk and signed Lin.

4. MichaelG281713

It's crazy so many people wanted Morey to match.

Did you guys ever watch Parsons? He's barely worth what we gave Ariza. You don't overpay and obliterate your cap space over a role player.

I get the women like him, but from a pure basketball standpoint, he's more than a little overpaid. I hate the Mavs. So, I'm glad they tried to call our bluff, and then got stuck with one the worst contracts in the NBA. Can't play D, and isn't even a legit third scoring option.

We would've lost him next season anyway.

1 person likes this.
  5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Ariza is NOT a number one option. We tried with that and it failed. what he is is a very very good 3-5 option. he's now in the same role when he won with the lakers.

plus I think we actually got very good value for him

6. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

This one hurts.

7. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Hey, you need to STFU with calling people moron- that's 2 already- if you can't have a mature disagreement, then GTFO - we don't want immature babies like you on the board. Really, just shut your ****ing piehole and grow the **** up.

1 person likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's how I see it too.

Also to add onto my Ariza point. He played major minutes in the finals under a Hall Of Fame coach that thought he deserved those minutes. If anything Ariza could be as much as a glue guy as Parsons.

People say Shane was a glue guy...and they have the same exact skillset...well except Ariza is more athletic than Shane.

1 person likes this.
  9. MichaelG281713

You're right, bro. DD is out of his mind.

So many people are caught up in emotion, rather than what's best for the team.

Parsons can't play D, and isn't a consistent third scoring option. It's ludicrous to give him anything close to a max salary. He's worth 8 mil tops.

10. haydenfisher342

S and T for parsons, why the F would the mavs help us?

11. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

Just lost parsons, Lin and Asik for an Ariza! Hahaha~ what an upgrade! Oh wait, still got mchale as a head coach!

12. GMNot

GMNot Member

Well, I would have been OK with the match. But none of us here haven any real say in matters. And I doubt the majority of us have any real knowledge of how these decisions get made... I mean weight-wise.

Some comments imply that Morey operates in a vacuum and has ultimate say in these matters. Les Alexander doesn't strike me as that hands-off of a guy. McHale, not doubt, has input, but I get the impression he leaves the bulk of this stuff to Morey and Alexander.

They went for the fences and missed. Just part of the territory, as others have mentioned. So you move on to the prevailing circumstances as they develop.

It's still a long time to the start of the season and moves might still come up that are promising. I don't think the "swing for the fences" approach is working out too well. I didn't hear any of the major FA's say, "I'd really like to play with those guys down in Houston." Bosh, supposedly would sign here if James goes to Cleveland. So much for that. He already has 2 rings. That is not as much a motivating factor for him now. Howard came here of his own will, but Harden came in a trade.

Love was/is "intrigued" by the thought of playing alongside James. He never mentioned a similar view of playing alongside of Howard/Harden. So, if it were me, I'd give up on this idea of getting that 3rd superstar. And I'm sure the Rockets will not wait for that to materialize; they can't. They will continue to react to the circumstances that do change from week to week, or day to day during frenzied periods.

We'll all know better where things stand come next January and the approaching trade deadline in February. And let's see what pieces we have to start the season. It may be not real different than what we know of now. But trades and signings do happen all along -- just not at the same pace as this time of year.

13. Solaris

Solaris Member

I thought Parsons is suppose to bleed Red?

14. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

You can argue that Morey made a mistake in letting Parsons out of his contract early, but not matching the max Parsons offer after Bosh backed out was definitely the right move today.
    Everyone just needs to calm down and breathe.
    Yes, we missed out on the dream scenario of adding a 3rd star player and swapped comparable SFs, but our team does not suck all of the sudden. We aren't mediocre. We still have 2 of the Top 15 players in the NBA in their prime and good, young role players around them. And the offseason is not over yet. The guys who we add from here on may not be the big names or big salaries a lot of people want, but they are no less important in building a championship team. Look no further than down I-10 to see how that can work out.

1 person likes this.
  15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

A core group of Harden-Howard-Parsons-Ariza is at best a 2nd round team. Not championship caliber.

16. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Take it down a notch. Calling people morons is not the way to remedy a disagreement.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

its beyond my control so why get all bent out of shape:confused:

i hope it all works out and that more bench talent and future 3 rd star is in the works at some point. i hope howard is ok with fellow tight shirt buddy going to Dallas.

its going to make rox vs mavs games very interesting:

Parsons, Monta Ellis, Dirk Nowitzki, Tyson Chandler and devin Harris - not too shabby.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right. This team would be better off putting that money into the PF position.

19. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

it sends a message to the other players/agents out there though: were not stupid, were still looking to build around harden/howard - if you're not on that level, we're not blowing our wad on you.

no guarantee that if you match parsons, you'll get what you need in return via trade. might as well get nasty and play it smart between now and the the feb trade deadline. this is where your d-league and scouts do their job.

(interested to see if capela comes over now)

20. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

What a crazy offseason. For all the talk of Morey having no loyalty to players, the player who I thought to be the most loyal stuck it to us. I have no qualms with him signing the contract; by all means take the money and run. But he knew what he was doing to our timetable by signing when he did. I'm sure there was a timeframe on signing the contract with Dallas, but, it was apparent that the main purpose of the structure and timing was to hinder our cap maneuvers. Expected more but it gives more clarity in understanding that it is alway about the money.