1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Defense of Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sTWO, Jul 13, 2014.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If Morey ONLY fired McHale and hired Hollins he would still be the same Dork Elvis we all know and Love. Dump Asik bolster the bench simple yet effective, I think they panicked because we lost in the first round and thought it was a problem with talent when really it was a coaching problem. WE WON 54 Games, you don't eff with that too much just a little. We lost to a 54 win team there was no need to panic.

2. sTWO

sTWO Member

TXRox, I think Parsons' new contract requires his approval for a trade. Therefore I'm not sure a trade would have been possible for at least 2 years.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

If it came down to Parsons & Ariza, I'm going with Ariza. How quickly we forget how Parsons disappeared in the postseason. He's not as good as y'all make it seem. On the other hand, Ariza has won a ring and played well in the playoffs. I actually applaud Morey on this. The worst move of the offseason was signing Mchale for another season

4. TISNF

TISNF Member

No backup center. No backup PG. This team is destined -- once again -- for a first-round exit.

At least expectations for next season will be A LOT lower. Sixth seed here we come!

5. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

I will always respect Morey for having cap flexibility and not being pressured into panic signings (Chandler Parsons, Goran Dragic). Maybe waiting it out for now will be for the better. I'd rather wait than have Parsons at 45 over 3 years.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

^. Yes that letting Dragic walk and signing Lin worked out so well.

7. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

Yeah not words I want to hear from our top executive. I mean go read what Pat Riley said after losing lebron. It was along the line that the heat are a championship organization and the heat will work diligently to put a champion on the court next year. He didn't sulk, he didn't give up, and surely isn't giving up on his guys. Well at least we can hope for a championship in 2016-2017

8. BinBinRingRing

Looks like another first round exit ahead to me.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Me too. I'm a big anti-Morey guy in general, but, unless he himself is the reason that LBJ, Melo, Bosh had no interest in playing for the Rockets, I think he played everything correctly this offseason.

Letting Parsons walk was a no-brainer. Anybody who disagrees probably has a crush on him (and I mean that seriously...if he was an ugly beast putting up the exact same contributions, nobody in their right mind would advocate wasting 15mm/year on him).

Every move from now on should be in line with positioning themselves to acquire/lure KD.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree.

I hated Pat's move but if you want rings you have to play strong even if it appears to make no financial sense at the time. They still won't get out of the east, but it gives the fans some hope.

FO basically mailing it in for 2014-15. Wimp move IMO.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Man, Morey put it all on the line this offseason when he didn't even need to. Went for broke and now we've lost our entire supporting cast save the two superstars and our guys on rookie contracts. Horrible feeling right now.

12. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I'm a Morey fan, but his two biggest errors are:

1) Declining the team option on Parsons, which would have allowed us to keep Parsons in 2014-15, and we would have still had his bird rights in 2015-16. (I don't buy the 'yarn' that this was a silent, undeclared condition of DH signing, as there is no evidence of this).
    2) Telling Dragic to pound sand for wanting a player option in 2015-16 at $7.5M, and instead signing Lin to a deal where we had to toss in a first round pick just to get rid of him.

Without these two BONEHEADED moves, we'd have Parsons and Dragic playing for us, and still be well under the cap where we could use Asik for a position of team. We would be set up to compete this year, and have cap flexibility next year.

Now we've thrown in the towel on 14-15, hoping for a miracle with Kevin Love or Durant in the future. F- for Morey this offseason.

1 person likes this.
  13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. The parsons option move and letting Dragic walk for the Lin contract was just plain foolish. Does it undo all the good work he's done over the last several years? No. But it sure hurts.

I still don't fully understand what the point of declining his option was. I assumed like everyone else that we had a wink wink deal in place. Otherwise, short of some minor cap implications, why would we expose him like that. Lose him for nothing?

14. haydenfisher342

agreed also. I would suspect a public apology here soon. Though we did have bosh in the bag, I dont hold morey accountable for that

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I didn't know that the offseason ended today. Some of you guys need to step off the ledge and let things play out. VALUE is the name of the game. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

16. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

And that is why we won't win with this front office. We hide behind the "flexible cap" and moneyball. We need a competitor someone who is going to not take the defeatist attitude. I mean do you any of you like hearing "well did what I could do. It didn't work out, guess I'll wait until next offseason, because we aren't going to win this year." This was said by no champion ever. Whatever happened to " don't underestimate the heart of a champion"? To me, Morey needs a pep talk from Rudy T. Champions don't quit, champions don't sulk, champions certainly don't wait for things to happen; they seize the opportunity and make things happen. Waiting for 2016 isn't what DH12 signed up for; he came to win now !!!

17. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I am sorry, but you are obviously drinking the kool aid. No matter how you slice it, we lost Asik, Parsons, Lin and a possible 2nd round pick for Trevor Ariza and hopefully a higher pick in 2015. And we will not be adding any real pieces through FA. This team will be worse in 2015 and there is almost no chance for a max level player before 2015-16, after which Howard will opt out. That doesn't mean he will leave, but he will be courted and have lots of options.

The whiff on Bosh and Melo, no matter how close it was, was a whiff. The decision, no matter why it was made, to let Chandler go to RFA was dumb. The decision to give away a 1st round pick to trade Lin, when we did not have a firm commitment from Bosh, was bad.

And I don't buy for a second that Parson going to RFA was a wink, wink deal with Fegan when signing Dwight. Fegan isn't a moron and wouldn't mortgage things with Dwight for Chandler Parsons. Maybe it was wink, wink with Chandler going into RFA to wait while they figured things out, but then the market changed. Granted most of us didn't think he would get more than $11-12M, but Morey gets paid to project that.

Bottomline, I wouldn't like paying Parsons $15M per the next two seasons with the chance you pay him $16M in 2016, but I have absolutely no confidence that not signing him means we are going to be better able to compete these next two years. We would have the exact same assets, plus him. And we shouldn't have cost ourselves the 1st round pick, unless we had a firm commitment. We will be worse at two positions this season and cost ourselves a 1st round pick. And it is doubtful we add an asset for the 2015-16 season that makes as much of a difference as Parsons, especially that we couldn't have added with Parsons. We are basically punting the Dwight Howard area and hoping we pull off fireworks in 2016 to land another star and convince him to stay. At this point, just being a middle of the pack team in the West the next two years might be hopeful.

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Can't really blame him for Melo and Bosh. He didn't "lose" those players, he never had them in the first place. What could he have done differently with Bosh? or Melo? They took max offers to STAY. Moving cities is a b****, especially when you have a family. Not much Morey could've done to help them come here. The fact that we were that close to Bosh is extremely miraculous.

Parsons blew up in our face, but I don't fault Morey for not picking up the option. Firstly, Parsons deserved a shot at the market after everything he did for us, on the court and off the court. Secondly, putting a player through RFA and UFA is completely different and a much better position for a team to be in. Morey didn't find the contract attractive, and neither did we. All of Dallas' fans right now are saying "I don't care if we overpaid, I'm happy we got him. We have one of the best teams in the west" I don't have to explain to you just how stupid, idiotic, and short-sighted that sentiment is.

Ariza was a GREAT deal. If you think that it wasn't a good signing then you're on something. He's a good talent on almost all levels. Good rebounder, efficient scorer, Great shooter. Great defender. This board has been asking for a 3&D guy for months, and now we got him for half the price of Parsons, who has regressed immensely on defense. Ariza is not the best playmaker in the world, so Morey needs to find a PG who can pick up the ballhandling and playmaking duties to offload the pressure on Harden.

Basically, it wasn't that bad.

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Morey be like
    [​IMG]

20. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Agreed. Re-hiring McHale was the first domino falling in this disastrous off-season.