1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After signing Ariza, do we match Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Match Parsons?

1. Yes

378 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

242 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

A part of me thinks, they got close to equal on court production in Ariza for HALF the cost of what it would cost them to pay Parsons, $8 vs $15 so Parsons is good as gone, but then I think, Parsons is still young, improving and highly marketable for the team and considering the very reasonable deal for Ariza, if they were looking for a deal to add another big name player midway through the year, they would probably look to move Ariza (as an asset) and retain Parsons since the Kicker would scare off most other teams. (whew! that was a huge run-on sentence)

Overall, I think they keep Parsons for 3 reasons:

1. Learned from the Dragic mistake.
    2. Don't want to lose him for nothing.
    3. F**K YOU CUBAN! Love, Daryl Morey

2. HOUSTONROCKETS5

Really Penny Pinching? Is that really the message you want to send Dwight and other possible free agent stars in the future? "We rather save money then have the best possible talent on the roster."

I think if we re-up Parsons, not only do we upgrade our roster (Ariza replaces Casspi/Garcia), but we also show future free agents (cough*Durant -2016 FA*cough) that we are not afraid to spend!

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

When were the rockets even in a position to pay luxury tax? Maybe when we had Yao, Tmac and Artest, but that trio didn't even last a season so there was no time to add anybody else. Since then the rockets have been looking for their foundation to build around, now we have it.

The Asik comparison is pretty poor also, he was going to be a 15 minute player behind Noah so it didn't make sense to pay him. On the other hand I can see both Ariza and Parsons playing 30+ minutes a night, especially if we go small. As some of the other threads stated, letting parsons go wouldn't give us that much more future flexibility anyway.

4. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Under that criteria, James Dolan is the best owner in the league.

5. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Right, and Prokhorov is building a dynasty up in Brooklyn.
    Watch out Celtics history!

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The more I think about it, the more I suspect that Ariza was signed to be an asset that would come in handy for later deals.

Morey is like the housewife who loves going around the market for great deals. She can't resist a good deal even though she already has a dozen of the same thing at home.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Ariza doesn't seem to care though, the money early probably suits him because he gets the majority in Texas this way.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

We really disagree here.

I, for one, believes that in order to have a team, you need more than 5 players. And that playing Harden and Parsons top-10 minutes in the NBA is not a recipe for playoff success.

Perhaps I am wrong, and that playing Harden and Parsons 40+ minutes because they have no backup worth a damn is perfectly fine for the team. But I subscribe to Pop's philosophy that running your players to the ground isn't good for the post season.

9. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

match, and then trade him with jones or dmo for millsap

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I do not disagree with reducing Harden's and Parsons' minutes. What I worry is putting Ariza on the bench. He's a 8M per guy and we have known that Ariza's ego is not small. Maybe he has changed.

The most ideal backup is a player who makes about 4M a year and understands exactly what his role is. I hate to see the Asik-Lin situation repeat itself next year.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ariza had to have given thought and awareness to the fact that Parsons plays his position, and was likely to be on the team.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

But it does make sense that the deal we got for Ariza can be considered an asset, or even CP, if he exceeds the expectations

Easily, one of two of those guys can be traded to another team and could be the starter and could immediately contribute.

I doubt we keep both of them for more than a year, so I think it serves more value to have both in order to facilitate an S&T later this season.

13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Why not sign him and trade him next year to some crappy team.

14. HCA

HCA Member

Yes and no. I wish we could clone parsons that way we get him at that contract and so,do the mavs. It screws them up for the next three years. It caps them out and they cant make any major moves while dirk approaches his forties.

For us, it is not like we would have had any cap room to play with after re-signing him and this free agency. So yeah, I feel as conflicted as it gets. It is win-win, lose-lose.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Sure they could have good trade value. But I think this year Morey is trying to build our 7-men playoff rotation. Right now 6 player are a given (if we match Parsons):

Beverly
    Harden
    Ariza
    Parsons
    TJones
    Howard

Now we need another big men, preferably one that can backup both positions AND can spread the floor AND can defend LMA. Ariza fits our need for that backup 3 and D wing to a T and can be extremely valuable for this team.

1 person likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This was exactly my point. I believe that Ariza was signed not so much to address a weakness on our roster but to be an asset for later use.

I can't say that the Ariza deal is bad because I think it is below market price. So it's a good deal. But why do you want a 8M guy coming off the bench? It's very similar to the Asik situation.

17. sutton

sutton Member

If matched,

Parson will be a 15M bench player, a traitor,

18. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

Hyperbole aside, grow up.

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I can't stand the Mavs and Cuban is a douche BUT Parsons would have got this offer from the Heat as soon as the King returned to his home town and we'd be in the same boat. It's a business and Parsons did what he should have done and Morey knew it was a possiblity. He's no traitor. But I am in favor of him being the 6th man. Bring him off the bench as strecth 4. Then move him to the 3 to sit Ariza. Parsons is the glue guy we must have. Did you watch the games he was out of the line-up? We were UGLY in half court.

We needed wing depth with a defensive and offense skill set. Ariza > Lin

20. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

15m for Parsons might become a negative value contract. You can dump him with a first round pick. With Parsons on the books and making more money than Harden, Rockets would be cap crippled.