1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After signing Ariza, do we match Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Match Parsons?

1. Yes

378 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

242 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. BOOM-SHAKA-LAKA

No guarantee we can get Love, you take the sure bet.

2. mmil15

mmil15 Member

You absolutely match Parsons. When you stop to think about it, the better question to ask is this: what argument would you have not to re-sign Parsons?

He doesn't count against our cap. We own his bird rights.

Also, what frustrates an offensive player more than anything? Length, and the ability to contest a shot. While I understand Parsons is not a lockdown on ball defender, with Ariza in the mix, we are highly unlikely to ever assign Parsons the task of guarding the other teams best wing player. So Parsons has more than enough height to contest a potential outside shooter (say, a Danny Green type player or someone who camps out at the 3 point line)

Also, just a thought: (disclaimer: I know Harden is allergic to defense so let's assume you stick him on the opposing teams' worst wing/guard when Beverley is out with this lineup). But having Harden with 4 other guys exceeding 6'9 (Ariza at the 2, Parsons, Jones, Howard), you have an excellent opportunity offensively to run a pick and roll with Howard in addition to having 3 guys with the ability to shoot the 3 (I realize Jones isn't a knockdown shooter but it should be noted he drastically improved his 3 point shot his rookie season to last year. Parsons and Ariza both shoot ~38% and in Ariza's case, above 40%). Also, have 4 guys on the floor exceeding 6'9, that's a lot of height to frustrate opposing offenses. Of course, the challenge of this whole idea is getting everyone to buy into playing defense.

My point is this: Parsons provides us with depth and also doesn't hinder us from signing anyone in the next 2 years that we can REASONABLY attain. One thing in common with every championship team is depth. Parsons give us depth and does not prevent us from acquiring more of it. I may sound like a homer, but I also don't think Bosh, Love, or any 3rd superstar not named Lebron James propels us to a championship with the way we are currently constructed. I feel that there is something to be said for continuity within a franchise and there is value in a group of talented guys who know how to play together.

3. do work son

do work son Member

having capspace for love, and actually getting love are 2 different things. didn't you just see what happened with bosh?

you tell harden and howard, you're not interested in upgrading the team this year because you want to have capspace next year. that'll go over well.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Hamilton is not on the roster anymore. After the Rockets match Parsons and resign Daniels and sign Johnson I don't see them going after anymore wing players. Covington is still on the roster as well.

The only exception IMO is if they can get a quality PG or PF to add to the roster.

5. newAge_Rockets

Don't let talent walk for nothing. We won't have max cap space anymore with the Ariza signing, so we might as well match Parsons.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If we can get a couple more players under contract before matching Chandler - fine... but I'd rather not be trying to fill backup center and try to upgrade the pf slot with nothing but a couple trade exceptions, while spending 15M on Chandler, with ariza on the bench...

7. newAge_Rockets

Also, there is nothing wrong with having 2 good wing players. If anything, the Ariza signing will help lower Harden and Parsons' minutes.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

yeah i forgot to delte hamilton from my post
    but still we got daniels, capela, johnson who can make an immediate impact.

an upgrade at the starting pg or pf doesnt have to be a big time player. someone liek chalmers at pg, or bass at pf.

its toobad but we do have to match parsons. we cant let him walk. i just dont like it one bit.

9. SS0101

SS0101 Member

I want to add one more thing. It is getting pretty tiresome reading all the posts relating to cap space flexibility and how Parsons contract will be overpaying for him, etc. So many are zeroed in on cap space flexibility being the ONLY type of flexibility...well ever heard of roster flexibility? Adding Ariza on a "value" contract and matching parsons allows for roster flexibility. Number one, in how you use the roster/lineup on nightly/matchup basis (many different lineups can be trotted out with their versatility). Number two, if the situation arises where you can flip Parsons, or flip Ariza, because you have both you are allowed the flexibility to make a move via trade if it ever came up.

10. Awkh

Awkh Member

Chandler 'pump fake, flat shot' Parson is going be OVERPAID than a mug.

BUT the Rockets NEED match and show the rest of NBA that Morey and Les can show SUM sort of LOYALTY to their players. Example; Utah Jazz and Hayward

Thru the last few seasons Morey has dealt with a rebuilding franchise and given himself the image of a Monopoly Asset Master. That deals players at will, as assets.

NOW that the center core of Rockets is in tact. We CAN'T lose one [ala OKC Thunder with Harden]. Puts Rockets in a HARD Cap situation BUT, I'm sure pretty boy Parsons will eventually live up to his $15mill. 40% on the court and 60% OFF the court.

I'm sure Cuban has noticed Parsons gaining popularity off the court with his recruiting, marketing himself with gay photo shoots, etc . He's a billionaire Cuban KNOWS how to invest.

We need All-Stars players like Howard and Harden, and a Parsons to recruit other players to come in, give the Rockets SUM sort of image in the NBA.

That's of course if we manage make some noise with current roster, this coming season. :rolleyes:

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm tellin y'all... sign Parson for 15m a year and its gonna be a Jeremy Lin/Stromile Swift contract... and everybody assumes Chandler would opt out of the third year - but he wouldn't if he's sucking and not gonna get another contract offer of that level... matching Chandler essentially eliminates any substantial free agent signings for potentially the next 3 years... as we will be over the cap and unable to offer anything beyond mle's etc...

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

Don't like the Ariza signing just cause "been there, done that"...but you're correct

One of them could be flipped in the future...but that might need to be done.

Who knows...either way....makes sense to match Parsons.

If anything just to piss off Cuban lol...

We get Parsons back AND Ariza isn't there for you as plan b.

Eff you Mark!

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

parsons isnt a lin/asik contract. parsons is a near all star. asik and lin were'tn close to that. we'll be getting a lot of productin from him. i hate it but w/e

plus he's only gonna get better. he can still be an all star player. he probably stopped playing defense last season so he can get a big contract like this. now that he has it, if he's for ereal, he'll start playing defense again.

14. MisterMister

MisterMister Member

Sorry,but I think you guys are going to have to continue your long distance love affair with that dude who told D12 to sign with us for less than max and then sign for max via Dallas.Sure he will send you some photos of him and Mark on ya cell.Fill me in on how that bromance works out.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If we don't match Parsons now, we will be weaker than last year. It makes sense to have both of them.

16. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

Between now and tomorrow night we need to finalize the Asik deal and use the roughly $10 million left on a back up veteran PG like Hinrich and a big man like Andersen or Okafor, then match Parsons.

17. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I agree, that's why I don't think Morey will match Parson's offer sheet and let Cuban live with that contract. I still think Morey wants to have some flexibility for the future (2015 and 2016), even though with our roster is designed to win now.

It would have been a no-brainer to offer this type of contract if he would have continued to play defense. Establishing yourself as a true 2-way player, especially at the SF position (like LeBron and Paul George) he could have made a legit case of being deserving of more money in the future.

18. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

The Ariza move makes so much sense for the Rockets today. We got him at a great deal, but we can't sacrifice depth by not matching CP.

It makes so much freaking sense to match CP. We have pieces that can be traded later in the season and it seems so perfect now that the Mavs don't have any depth, with all their players walking out.

We have to match. This is the case of preventing a division rival with an elite coach to create problems for us during the season.

The cap exception we get by not matching is not significant enough to add significant contributions. Like Bosh, there is no guarantee that these players are going to sign.

We are blessed to get Ariza at that price. Parsons being overpaid is worth the wins/contributions/intangibles that he adds to the team.

The only fate we control is that of CP, and we really can make this a successful offseason if we do indeed match.

1 person likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cap Space has never won a championship.

DD

20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I was originally very pissed about Parsons' deal and on the no-match bandwagon, but the more I've thought about the more you have to match, especially if we sign any other players by tomorrow. It would then become a no-brainer to go over the cap to keep him. The other thing is the salary cap could greatly expand and in 2 years his contract may just be an average contract for a player of his caliber. Lastly, you have to keep him away from the Mavs. He could be a real difference maker for that team.