1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we really in that bad of shape?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 12, 2014.

1. SoccerFan

SoccerFan Member

Short answer: VERY BAD SHAPE

Long answer: this is our potential lineup

PG - Decent starter, injury prone; ???
    SG - Deeply flawed superstar; ???
    SF - ???; ???
    PF - Undersized PF who can't play D; ???
    C - Deeply flawed superstar; ???

So gaping hole in the starting lineup and absolutely NO bench. What hurts even more is that we lost a first round pick to achieve this. Wow I hate Bosh so much.

2. Puss In Booty

Puss In Booty Member

Said this all along. NO ... we are STILL going to be great.

Granted, Morey doesn't completely fail, & lets Parsons walk.

With the same starters as last year, and MINUS Lin's horrible turnovers, & erratic shooting ... The rookie, Johnson coming on ... the emergence of Daniels and Canaan.

Still have a little money to play with before matching Parsons to maybe bring on a guy like Pierce or another vet. We're good, I think.

Only thing lacking is a backup C and in time, we'll find someone to get a few minutes.

Plus have a few trade exceptions.

Better than gutting the entire team, IMO. Never wanted Bosh if it meant losing players.

More concerned about Parsons walking. Match him, & add pieces. Still be better than Dallas. Eff Cuban.

Beating that A-hole is MY new championship.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think the rockets will match the offer for Parsons, and then basically go to war with what we've got. I would expect Morey to try and find a backup center and a PF that is capable a cracking the rotation. Do we have anyone stashed in Europe that is ready to contribute?

I suppose our best trade asset would be TJones. I can see a possibility of a trade involving Jones and a draft pick to bring back a more experienced PF, but I'm not sure how much that would help, we would still need additional help on the front line.

I am pretty high on some of our D-League players. Canaan, Covington, or Johnson could make an impact.

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yes. While we do have cap room to sign some
    New bench

5. do work son

do work son Member

no. free agency isn't even close to over. we can still add 3-4 guys AND match parsons

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Free agency isn't close to over but the time to sign someone(or two) AND match Parsons is closing in.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oops accidentally hit post ...

Continued .... Players , it is not likely that they will be on one year deals . And if they are on one year deals it will likely mean that their salary is low . Lin and asik would have been expiring contracts and big expiring contracts this season making them either more valuable for a deadline trade or for we could have kept them to clear cap space next off season when love etc is a free agent . Personally I really really like t jones and D mo and think one of them can continue to mature into a great starting caliber forward last season was just too early . So in a way I'm glad we struck out on a big FA so we can keep outgoing talent ,but if you look at it from a standpoint of winning next year we will need a big step up in skill from Canaan , our picks this year , and our young PF's to improve at all . Also Beverly will need to improve his offensive game and team defense .

8. coweye

coweye Member

I think one of the main reason that we did not get Bosh or Melo is the conference we are in. The competition they would have to face all year long would be huge.
    To make this team better we would need a Head Coach like the Spurs have. Their policy of getting better is finding the right players for the system(if we would have one)and not just looking for big names.
    We have talented players like T-Jones but except a solid 3pt shot the coaching staff weren't able to develop him much further.

9. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Nick Johnson will make a FA-level impact for us this year imo. His defense will be a big boost.

10. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

Go play soccer

11. Put You On Game

Forget going after big name FAs, we need to build some depth

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

How can you say that when you don't even know WHO is going to be on our bench this year?

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What do you mean underrating Asik: the guy only played half the year. Dude pouted all yr, and played a couple decent playoff games to attract interest from other teams. I think you're overrating his contribution last year

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

We have to take a look at the losses and see how/what can be replaced.

Omer Asik:
    Regular season Asik's 2013-4 stats: 5.8ppg, 7.9rpg, 0.8blk, Min played: 20.2, PER:14.05

playoff stats: 5.7ppg, 8.2rpg, 0.7blk, min played: 27.2​

Jeremy Lin:
    Regular season: 12.5ppg, 4.1apg, 2.6rpg, 28.9 min/game, 14.31 PER

playoff stats: 11.3ppg, 4.3apg, 3.7rpg, min/game: 29.5​

Chandler Parsons:
    Regular season: 16.6ppg, 4.0apg, 5.5rpg, 37.6min/game PER 15.90

Playoffs: 19.3ppg, 2.3apg, 6.8rpg 41.7min/game​

out of all three players, only one person improved his play in the post season dramatically, while all the others did approx the same. While Parsons may be overpaid, he is really the best player of these three that have to be retained. It's also the reason I believe that the Rockets will match Parsons(most likely at the very last moment)

15. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Morey has traded so many players during his time as GM.
    He is now trying to bring them back on larger contracts lol.
    Lowry/Ariza/Hill/

Half of the guys in the NBA have played for the Rockets at some point.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we are still competing for 3-6th spot

17. do work son

do work son Member

even if we match parsons first, we still have the MLE, BAE, and TPE to improve the team.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I was so bummed yesterday about how everything went down with Bosh and I was one of the crowd who felt that this off-season has been a failure. However, after sleeping on this, I don't feel that way anymore. Yes, seeing Bosh spurn us (again) stings but I would rather not have someone whose heart is not in it to be here.

I guess we should match the offer on Parsons and hope that he continues to keep improving and play up to that contract. The biggest thing is we need STABILITY. We have gotten our two superstars in Howard and Harden. We need them to take their games to the next level. I had written about this in the thread from ESPN Insider but I can remember when the Rockets had guys that stepped up and RELISHED being the role players. Guys like Robert Horry, Mario Elie, Kenny Smith, etc. They knew what they needed to do to help support Dream and Clyde. But they also had the advantage of stability. If we keep turning the roster over every year, we make it that much harder to have guys settle into these role-type players roles.

And Rudy Tomjanovich was never considered a great coach - he was an ex-player like McHale and had always worked in the FO until he became a coach (just like McHale). So the coaching is not the problem - we need our two superstars to take it to the level that our two superstars of 20 years ago did. And at the same time have the rest of the team settle into the roles to give them the maximum support. Horry, Elie, The Jet, and others figured it out - it is time guys like Parsons, Beverley, T-Jones, D-Mo, figure it out as well.

19. BAM

BAM Member

people on here are overreacting as usual
    wait until the season starts and see who we got then ask that question

20. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I don't see the dramatic part, please enlighten. Unless you meant the extra 3 points with an additional four minutes of play time and less assists. If he gets paid $15 mil per year, those are crappy numbers.