1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A brief count of the remaining alternatives for Rox going forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ty185, Jul 12, 2014.

1. ty185

ty185 Member

First of all, advanced apologies if I missed a thread where this is already discussed - given the frenzy we had in the last couple of hours, I have given up read all the posts since Bosh's decision.

Just figured that it might be able to calm us down a bit if we try to sit down and see what are our team building alternatives going forward - at least we hear more from the rox insiders, that is. :)

The following by no means is exhaustive and anyone is welcomed to add what I have missed, but following a brief count, I felt it was not as bad as I first feared:

1. The most obvious alternative, of course, is to find an alternative (and significant) FA, sign him, then match Parsons. That list basically consists of Deng (Maybe Ariza as well, but I'm not quite sure whether he is "significant" enough to qualify here) and not much others. I will not say much to this alternative as it have been discussed at great length.

2. The second alternative is to offer a significant RFA and hope their home team will not match while we matching Parsons. This maneuver will be extremely risky due to a) it is likely that such a RFA (Monroe?) is likely to be matched and b) We will have to decide on Parsons before we know the decision of the other RFA's home team.

3. Trade and match Parsons: We are obviously hearing about Ryan Anderson right now. I have the feeling that Pistons and Hawks and maybe Bucks probably have also received calls regarding certain PFs we have been interested since last year. Any such trade would likely cost us the pick we got from Asik as well as more young players that the other team likes but as long as such a trade is pulled off, our summer would be back to a satisfactory state.

4. Be patient and wait for further development during the season. More names could become available as season goes on. This will likely mean we don't match Parsons and let him go to Mavs. This also means that we'll spend little during the summer, only offering "value" contracts to lesser known players that would piss half of clutchfans off. Hell, in order to create "value" contract situations, I would even consider offering strange contract to Troy Daniels, contracts such as a 4 year contract, starting at 5M, decreasing by 4.5% every year, and only guaranteed for the first 2M for the first half season, so to maximize our potential salary matching flexibility. If this happens, our summer would be widely regarded as a total disaster, until the next opportunity rises.

5. Have we all forgotten our Euro stashes? If nothing else surfaces, this would be the perfect summer for us to bring Llull and the greek guy and whoever else we felt read over. With our Cap space, the annoying buyouts would be much less problem - and frankly, if we ends up with 2 or 3 euro guys on our roster, I feel we are in a good position to see how everyone progresses.

As a summary, I'm feeling while this summer has been definitely disappointing, the management has managed our assets so well and made our position so flexible such that we are not in too bad of a position even after a major disaster. I'm feeling better and looking forward to see how everything plays out - and I really think we all should.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Get Rondo ASAP!!!!

3. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Rondo is terrible and a terrible fit with Harden.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well there are several things we can do.

1. realistic FA options:
    - Deng
    - Ariza
    - Stephenson
    - Pierce
    - Turner

2. RFA that we might snag (problem with Parsons of course)
    - Bledsoe
    - Monroe

3. Possible trade targets
    - J. Smith
    - Millsap (probably costly, but he has only 1 year left)
    - Taj Gibson (if Bulls need the capspace)
    - Ryan Anderson
    - Dragic (if the Suns won't to go forward with Thomas and Bledsoe)
    - Rondo (again costly)
    - Ilyasova

4. Pipe dreams with a possibility of <1%
    - trade for Love
    - sign Melo

I probably missed several players and Morey will probably surprise us, but those are the main options in my mind.

1 person likes this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I see you are trying to be positive, this actually made me feel worse.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm disappointed about how things turned out, but honestly I wasn't that enthusiastic about taking Bosh&Parsons in for 36 million per year.

The thing the Rockets were missing last year was leadership on the floor and a passion for defense from all 5 guys; it wasn't due to lack of talent.

Paying Parsons Max dollars, to me, is a mistake. He's a good player, but its not clear to me that he's even an all-star caliber player. I did not see significant progress from him between his 2nd and 3rd years. Let him go.

The Rockets should pursue proven veterans who know how to play smart and will keep the egos of certain players on the team in check.

7. LikeMike

It's not neccessary about being positive - it's about not looking back but forward. We've got b****slapped by Bosh, now what do we do. The outcome won't be nearly as good as getting Bosh, but we can still get a better team together than we had last season. And that team might actually contend for a title.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can we eliminate JSmoove pls? In the playoffs we needed 3 pt shooting along with good Defense.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'll settle for Bledsoe, Deng or Ariza. Love and Melo are indeed a pipe dream.

10. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Good summary.

I would add:

The bolded names

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

There would appear to be a lot of promising trade possibilities that, if pulled off in time, would make matching Parsons worth it. Ersan, Dragic, rondo, Milsap, Gibson, and even Josh Smith are all intriguing. In Morey we trust?

But I'd be willing to walk away from Parsons period if we locked up Bledsoe for 4 years and filled out the rest of our roster with our exception money.

Either way, I still think there are viable options out there for Houston that will get us to contending status, despite the disappointment of the last few days.

We should have offered $13 to Lowry and locked him up with these crazy prices

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

On a good note. Between the Rox and Cavs, I think Rox have a very good chance to sign Love. But Love like Melo and Bosh understand the incompetence @ the helm known as McHale. Bosh's ultimate decision was the callous no defense of Harden coupled with the incompetence of McHale along with that $30 million extra on the table. His family likes Miami so yeah.... Love is probably aware of McHale and that makes it a tough sell. I don't understand why Morey doesn't fathom getting rid of McHale to have a better chance of acquiring championship minded star free agents?

13. MarkItZero

MarkItZero Member

Unfortunately, I think Bledsoe is a pipe dream as well.

I'm leaning towards Ariza or Stephenson plus a backup center like Okafor, then matching Parsons.

Ariza has become deadly from 3, and is really solid in a complementary roll.

My concern with Stephenson is fitting him in. Would he accept coming off the bench? Not so sure about that.

14. LikeMike

Love has a very good relationship with McHale - as most players seem to have. He is well respected around the league and not nearly as much critiziced for his coaching as on this forum (or by Cuban). Personally I fault McHale for our first round exit, but I don't see him nearly as critical as most others.

@Beardsanity

Thanks for the additions. I'd like to add Okafor for the vet minimum when all the other dust has settled.

I would do it this way:

1. Sign Stephenson. Him, Harden, Parsons and Beverly form a 4 men rotation at the 1-3 spots. Maybe add one more player (Daniels, Canaan, Johnson) during the regular season. Stephenson adds a lot of toughness, great defense and playmaking ability when Harden is on the bench. Plus he is young and has plenty of playoff experience.

2. Trade for Millsap. I'd hope our TE, NOLA pick and DMO could do it since he is a FA next season. If not we might have to swap DMO with TJones or add one of our first rounders. Millsap is basically a lesser version of Bosh. Great spacing, pretty good defense, good rebounder. He would fit this team like a glove.

3. Match Parsons

3. Sign Okafor for vet minimum. I always liked him, though he was always overpriced. He should still be able to rebound and block some shots, nice, cheap backup center.

That would leave us with this rotation for the playoffs:

Stephenson/Beverly
    Harden/Stephenson
    Parsons/Harden
    Millsap/TJones (or DMo)
    Howard/Okafor

A starting 5 with two stars and 3 almost all-stars. Beverly brings energy and defense of the bench, TJones brings offense. Okafor gives Dwight a little breezer and protects our rim. To me thats the best team in the league - but I'm a homer, so what do I know...

15. ty185

ty185 Member

We can't sign stephenson then trade for Millsap using TE. we have to announce the TE if we want to have any cap space unfortunately

16. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Monroe, eventhough a long shot could be a blessing in disguise. Can play 4 and 5, decent midrange shooting.

17. Twin_Towers

Twin_Towers Member

Love likes McHale...McHale coached the T'Wolves from 2008-2009 and is one of the best PF's of all time. Why wouldn't "championship-minded" FA's want to sign with him as coach? He was won 3 NBA titles, he was a 7 time all-star, he was 3 time all-NBA defensive first team and 3 time all-NBA defensive second team. He played alongside Larry Bird. He was the third pick in the first round of the 1980 draft. The man has had an excellent basketball career and has championship pedigree.

18. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

There are still a ton of guys that we can sign or make offers too and make this off-season a mild success:
    Melo - pipe dream I know but he is still a FA
    Greg Monroe
    Eric Bledsoe
    Trevor Ariza
    Pierce
    Deng
    Lance Stephenson
    Andray Blatche
    Chris Douglas Roberts
    Brandon Rush
    Ed Davis
    DJ Augustin
    You could probably afford to maybe even pay at least two of these guys. Any of them would be great additions to the team . I especially am interested in Monroe and Bledsoe. I know they are both RFA but still we could do a Sign and trade with the Pistons or Suns. We could even make a trade with the Celtics or some other team to get another star. Morey is a good GM and knows what he is doing. We just have to have a little faith