1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Morey do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 11, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Morey will have his revenge...and then someone will need to photoshop this pic with Morey's face.
    [​IMG]

2. Abadfish

Abadfish Member

Louis Scola with s 3 point shot. I hope we can get him in a trade some how. Then we match parsons and trade him in 3 months to Minnesota for expiring contracts and the draft picks they get from trading love, not because I think we should get rid of Parsons but because of that picture with Cuban (joke). Being serious tho we match Parsons simply because we can trade him and that contract when and if needed. And for the people that say that that contract wont be able to be moved I say this: We moved Lin and his $15m payout for this year, Parsons at that pay out is 10 times as valuable as Lin and twice of what Asic was.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

Get these guys Ryan Anderson & Chris Anderson handle the big rotation.

Then move to a vet wing & PG "brooks/Nelson"

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I like Bledsoe, I believe he deserves the max and can be an all-star in this league. But I don't know if that would be our best move.

Right now (with Parsons) we are lacking 3 main things:

1. a starting PF (if TJones doesn't all of a sudden improve a lot)
    2. a scoring punch of the bench
    3. a backup C

With Bledsoe we would improve our starting 5 but essentially take minutes away from Beverly. I don't know if that is the best use of our capspace. I'd really prefer getting a PF or a guy that can play multiple positions. I am thinking of Lance Stephenson here. We could basically have a 4 men rotation of the 1-3 spots in the playoffs with him, Beverly, Harden and Parsons. Getting Stephenson and trading for someone like Millsap would greatly improve our whole team and give us a real solid 7 men rotation in the playoffs.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

All smoke screens and Parsons is damaged goods. He new the big three where not coming but would have dealt with it if one came. The play has always been for...........

6. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Morey could resign because this Rockets team will not be in the West's top 4.

7. Fansince80

Fansince80 Member

I disagree wholeheartedly about the schooled part. Cuban's motivation has been pereceived as wanting to hamper the Rockets efforts, rather than improve his own team. Riley panicked and offered Bosch the max, framing the heat into 41-41 for the next 5 years, and Kupchack just took leftovers to navigate through 2014/15.

In Morey's business, you are bound to get hit while trying to land knockout blows.

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Why did Morey knock himself out by letting Parsons out of his contract a year early with such an important offseason for the franchise?

9. Badrose

Badrose Member

That's what he's gonna do

[​IMG]

10. basketballholic

Aha! Someone finally asked!

Because Morey's plan was to sign Parsons toa long term 5-year deal that he could THEN use as a trade-able commodity to get Love or some other superstar or possibly 2 other superstars.

That's why I kept telling this board we were not trading Parsons. We would have to signed him, then waited until January 15th to get past his"BYC" status to then have full use of his contact in trade. But now with him signing the offer sheet, we can't trade him for a year without his permission. A much more difficult decision to be sure.

I knew we were not going to trade him because I knew he would have greater trade value after we signed him long term.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There could be several reasons:

1. He might have promised him that. Parsons agent is Dwights agent, this might have been part of the deal.
    2. The ability to control his fate. Next season he could choose where he wanted to go, this season we have control.
    3. Morey hoped that other teams didn't value him that high and that another year would only increase his cost.
    4. Morey wants to show players, that he takes care of them and not milking every contract to the end.

In the end making him a RFA basically cost us either Parsons or on season with a lower salary (and more capspace if we don't use it today or tomorrow). Morey was probably very well aware, that this might happen - heck, in this day and age 12 million per year was probably the minimum contract he could expect. A 16-5-4 guy that is still young, has improved every season and is a very likeable and relatable guy has a lot of market value. And other teams know, in order to get him they need to pay him more than market value. So Morey definetly had a reason for that and isn't too surprised about what happened.

12. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I still like the idea of trading for Ersan Ilyasova. Like it said before, he's the perfect buy low candidate (had a down year due to injury). Morey has tried to trade for him before. Great rebounder and 3 pt shooter. Very nice compliment to Dwight.

6'10"
    235 LBS

2012-2013 season
    PTS: 13.2
    REB: 7.1
    3PT%: 44.4%

2011-2012 season
    PTS: 13
    REB: 8.8
    3PT%: 45.4%

Contract
    2014-2015: $7.9m
    2015-2016: $7.9m
    2016-2017: $8.4m ($400,000 guaranteed)

13. Raz

Raz Member

Waste of time, Phoenix will match. They plan to use Isaiah Thomas as 6th man.

14. langal

langal Contributing Member

A waste of 3 days could be disastrous at this point.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Losing out on Bosh, Melo, Lebron and God for that matter is all completely acceptable in my view because those are situations you can't control, but letting Parsons out a year early and exposing him to a potential poison pill contract where they could lose him for nothing in this critical offseason is still a total head scratcher no matter how you cut it. I am a huge huge Morey fan but had felt there was more downside than upside in letting him become a restricted free agent one year earlier. Les Alexander cannot be happy at the moment about the current turn of events. Hopefully Morey has an ace up his sleeve before tomorrows deadline to match Parsons contract or something there after.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So why did they draft Tyler Ennis?

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Ryan Anderson is a better deal and expiring so the Rockets can decide to re-sign him or let him go. Much better shooter.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Small ball approach in order to get value in return, when a desperate team is searching for young atheltic guards...its similar to Daryl Morey's forward fetish...

They have very coveted guards, and they will most likely match Bledsoe...

19. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Anderson has 2 years left on his contract.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It's still curious that melo hasn't committed anywhere.

Maybe with Gasol to Chicago and Lin to la, we are back in the running here.