1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does Morey do now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Anticope

Anticope Member

If Parsons were to have a great 2015-2016 season it's possible that he could opt out. (Howard too)

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. Use the cap space.....just not on a free agent.

Free agency is no longer an option for us, so any 3rd star has to come by trade. How do we set ourselves up for a competitive offer? Help Chicago get what they want, so we can get what we want.

And yes, I do think we should match Parsons after we trade for Boozer, thus eliminating our cap space in 2015. At the beginning of the season this is what we would have...

Beverley / Canaan / Johnson
    Harden / Daniels
    Parsons / Garcia / Covington
    Boozer / TJones
    Howard / DMo

NOP 2015 #1
    CHA 2015 #1 (via Chicago)
    Rights to Nikola Mirotic
    Rights to Sergio Llull
    Rights to Clint Capela
    Rights to Kostas Papanikolaou
    Rights to Alessando Gentile

Your team is better, and you've got more assets.

3. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

This. Even though I really don't like our Love trade prospects anymore.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That was my thought.... spend the 20M on Marion and Carter for 1 yr deals and dump Parsons poison contract on Cuban.... imo....

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You want us to spend 20 million dollars on Marion and Carter just to spite the Mavericks. :eek:
    Nah jk, I know you are kidding.

In all seriousness we should make a run at both and get Lance or Augustin or somebody. And then match Parsons. Whatever we do, we should match Parsons UNLESS we don't spend any money at all.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

sounds good. fawk it

7. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I like the idea, I just don't think we can get Mirotic for absorbing Boozer's deal.

8. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

So who is still on the Rockets roster outside of Howard, Harden, Bev? How far did the rockets make it in cutting everyone today?

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm thinking we let Chandler go... When his ridiculous contract was just money Les was gonna have to pay over the cap - that was one thing... but now, his payday will circumvent our ability to sign free agents as it will be 'real' capspace he's taking up.... so gotta let him go with that contract....

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

This has been an awful day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

11. Houston79Astro

Hopefully... Or Sunday is going to be a real intense day.

12. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

David Weiner @BimaThug · 39m
    First domino to fall towards Asik trade. RT @MarkDeeksNBA Pelicans renounced Jason Smith, Al-Farouq Aminu and James Southerland.

13. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

confused... what does this mean?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It means Pelicans are freeing up cap space to eat Asik's contract.

15. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I would like to see us pick up at least 2 vet free agents that can contribute. I would like us to pursue in this order

1. Paul Pierce
    2. Caron Butler
    3. Mike Miller
    4. Mo Williams
    5. Jerryd Bayless
    6. Shawn Marion
    7. Wes Johnson
    8. Anthony Morrow

16. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

thanks...well it's a start to something happening.

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I would sign Deng or Stephenson, and hopefully grab Boozer if he's amnestied, and then resign parsons. If not boozer then try to trade for a veteran PF with the Pelicans pick.
    I was hoping we'd get that third star but I'm over it. Let's just get deeper and hope Harden and Howard are good enough to get us there.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

If Chicago uses cap space to take on Gasol or Melo, they won't have cap space to sign Mirotic (wants $8 million/year). He won't have as much value to them post Gasol/Melo.

I like the idea of flipping Mirotic and Llull to Minnesota, who he's run across in the Spanish league and national team.

19. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

That's intriguing

20. steady

steady Member

I know things suck right now. But

.. maybe this is what the team needed to really shake things up
    - it is not like we lost Harden or Howard. we traded two players who weren't going to be around for more than a year anyway in Asik/Lin; Parsons IMO(given the market for his services) was not long for the team either.

- it sucks that we didn't get to trade Parsons; or give up a 1st round pick for Lin. But STILL, we have Harden, we have Howard, we have some very good young players. We have Bev. And we now have some cap space to build a really good bench

-maybe this is not a championship year, but was it going to be anyway?? with McHale? maybe this will be the year, the team builds some character, and cohesion, and from there goes on to build the championship team.

-- Morey made some mistake this week -- there were some miscalculations, but IMO these are not big deal. (IMO signing Parsons to that ridiculous contract would be.)

-- things feel terrible right now because we haven't replaced some big pieces who were traded -- three rotation players. But there's no chance that Morey doesn't have something lined up. We'll see in the next few days.

- IMO, what this week's miscalculations might have done is make happen earlier (in terms of personnel leaving) what would have happened by next summer anyway. And...so it may have the unintended consequence of getting the Rockets on their road to a championship sooner rather than later.

- what sucks is that the Rockets may have lost some time signing role players because they were chasing after the bigger fish, but we won't know whether they really lost out until the season starts and we see the new team.

Keep the faith Clutch Fans.