1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Outside the Box] Post Bosh Plan A - Get Josh Smith, Then Match Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 11, 2014.

1. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

I could easily live with that line-up

2. newAge_Rockets

Would you guys rather sign Parsons w/o signing somebody else? NO
    Do we wanna give or do we even have major assets to get Love or Rondo? NO
    Do we have ANYONE that can defend Aldridge, Griffin, Love, etc.? NO

Let's face it. Smith would be a great option IF he were to modify his game. He wouldn't need to bear any offensive burden, and he could be the elite defender that gets us past Portland, Clippers, or Thunder.

3. micah1j

micah1j Member

I doubt he improves his 3s. He has a long career of taking tons of 3s and is career 28%. If it hasn't happened yet it never will.

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

Monroe is worse than Smith at PF IMO. If Smith plays exclusively at PF he can be very effective offensively and a very solid defender. Smith also provides great rim protection and is a solid post defender. His offense will take care of itself when he is able to play off of Harden/Howard/ and maybe Parsons if we match. Not only that, but he is much better than any other player we can acquire now, besides Kevin Love/Rondo (which are very unlikely now due to Parsons signing the Dallas offer sheet.

5. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

If we add him and keep Parsons, we'd undoubtedly be better. But perhaps not great enough.

We'd have to tone him down though.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Trade them Motie and 2nd? The hard thing right now is we dont know how much value they are actually wanting for him... I think they are basically trying to give him away but they will probably want some value.

7. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

Jordan Hill just got 9M a year...and people are complaining about Josh Smith getting 14M?

8. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Child please

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Git r' done Morey, I'm on board.

10. treeman

treeman Member

Last season there were reports that we had interest in pairing him with Dwight, and I remember most of us here were tickled pink about it...

We've got one shot to make best use of our cap space, and little time to do it in. We can't waste any more of Howard's years - treading water is not an option. Howard's best years cannot be wasted - our window here is small.

At this point I'd do it.

11. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can trade our Euro stashes, D-Mo, 2nd round picks, or even NO's first round pick from Asik. The point is that he is horrible in Detroit and has relatively little value to them as compared to us. They also have Monroe, who will not sign with them unless Smith is gone. If you were Detroit, wouldn't you build with Drummond + Monroe instead of Drummond + Smith?

I would LOVE to get Bledsoe or Dragic, but Bledsoe is a RFA and Dragic just had a top-10 player season, so that'd be pretty difficult. Also, time is our limiting factor, which makes it difficult to get any RFA.

12. newAge_Rockets

Morey gotta be reading Clutchfans. Analytics can't show how much of a help he will be on defense! All we gotta do is modify his game a little bit (stay away from the mid range bricks!)

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

smith 4/ years 56 mil originally. guess that's only another 3 years then of 14mil. I was thinking it was way longer than that.

14. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I would disagree. He would shoot less 3s in Houston b/c he'd be the 4th option. Also, he would shoot more open 3s for the same purpose. With this alone, he would improve his 3 point%.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Yes, no more mid range jump shots! As the 4th option, Smith will definitely be more efficient based on more open shots. Also, the Rockets don't like to shoot long 2s, so his offense will actually be a plus for us.

16. opticon

opticon Member

QFT

A bird in the hand. Howard is in his prime we can't waist it on pipe dreams. If SVG will bite then I say we go for it. Smith has all the tools to be just as good a defender as Bosh.

LA for damn sure will not drop 40+ on Josh Smith

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Match parsons and trade for Ilyasova. We'll be fine.

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Posted this a few weeks ago. Great Minds... :grin:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9061985#post9061985

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'd be all for it. I didn't like his contract last year, but when guys like Parsons and Hayward are getting maxed out, the Josh Smith contract doesn't look half bad.

Can he be had? One would presume so.

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Do it, we're pot committed now and need to make use of our cap space. Seems separate but hey we are. Do it.....