1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Astros Minor League Thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pitching in Lancaster is not your typical 'A' ball.

Hitting in Lancaster is not your typical 'A' ball.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Or you could skip Lancaster.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's what most of us wanted from the start. I hate the affiliate with a burning passion, none of the numbers from there can be taken seriously. You have to go to advanced numbers to try and tell the story, and even most of those are skewed. Since his return 5 of his 6 starts have been at the Hangar.

Make no mistake he has sucked royally, even for Lancaster, but I get the feeling if he gets promoted his results will instantly get much better. Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders, not to mention much, much more neutral parks.

4. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Which only makes me wonder: how amazing are Josh Hader's stats considering this?

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

His numbers have been astonishing, I can't believe he's still there.

He has gotten knocked around pretty good his last 2 starts. I'm of the opinion that anybody that stays there long enough is gonna feel it's wrath eventually.

6. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I was pretty down on the Conrad Gregor pick at the time of the 2013 draft, but I'm on the bandwagon now. He was always a polished hitter than simply needed to tap into his power potential. I'm sure part of his .290 ISO at A+ is the Lancaster effect, but I doubt all of it is.

I was a little surprised when they promoted him after 194 PAs at Quad Cities, but their internal data probably showed consistent hard contact. And after 174 PAs at Lancaster, he's sporting a 13.2% BB rate and only 9.8% K rate. I'll take it.

7. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

By the way, from one of the BP prospect guys at Appel's start last night:

(I really hope these embed properly)

Code:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Appel: The stuff is good. Both SL &amp; CH still 6 grade. The FB velo suggests 7, but plays way down bcuz lack of movement &amp; living up in zone.</p>&mdash; Chris Rodriguez (@chrisrod13) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrisrod13/statuses/487475239874334721">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Code:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>He has excessive trunk tilt at foot strike (leaned over at 30 degree angle); makes it hard for him to get ball down &amp; especially in.</p>&mdash; Chris Rodriguez (@chrisrod13) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrisrod13/statuses/487476089036345345">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    Code:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Therefore, he missed up &amp; away a lot and FB flattened out. Professional hitters can hit belt high and on the outer third, even if it's 95.</p>&mdash; Chris Rodriguez (@chrisrod13) <a href="https://twitter.com/chrisrod13/statuses/487477005265301504">July 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

No need for CODE tags

9. astros123

astros123 Member

a four year college starter lol. this is why taking pitching prospects with the first pick is a effin mistake.

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

But how are other pitchers doing well in Lancaster?? VV, Hader, etc.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

VV had a strained groin and missing a a bunch of games. His first rehab start at GCL today went well, so he should be back to Lancaster soon.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

VV only has 28 innings, and hasn't pitched since early in the season when it was cooler and easier to deal with.

Hader has been amazing, but he is very much an anomaly. Over the last 10 years only 2 guys have been able to maintain an ERA under 4 while pitching more than 100 innings. It's even worse than Coors Field.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Part of an environment like that is mental. Some just pitch, some are bothered by it a lot more.

We know now that MMP is a neutral park regarding runs scored. But Lima time ruined his career because he thought it was impossible to pitch there

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Because hitters miss when they swing at the ball. Something Apple is struggling at doing.

Send him to QC for the rest of the season to work on his pitching and get his confidence back. Then start him next season in CC.

15. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The good news is that most of the stuff we've heard about Appel indicates that he mostly needs mechanical tweaks. If the stuff still projects, then it's too early to hit the panic button.

Between the leaving his pitches up and flat based on his foot strike and the theory that he was tipping a lot of his pitches, there are obvious areas for improvement that should lead to better results.

16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

A guy taken first overall isn't supposed to be such a project.

17. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

I guess doctors are wrong. The appendix does have a use after all. Its where all the baseball talent is kept.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Aiken certainly will be, if he signs.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If his issues are truly mechanical/mental, he will be mediocre at QC now as well...

He either works it out at Lancaster (doubtful), or he works it out in Corpus... and if he struggles, he repeats Corpus again next year. If its just a change of scene thing.... the Astros would get more out of it sooner if they send him to Corpus now. I doubt a promotion would make him worse at this point.

20. astros123

astros123 Member

a high school pitcher and a 4 year starter is the same?

people on the boards were claiming he'll be at OKC right now and looking for a sept call up....

his delievery is whats costing him atm. not simple mechanics