1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and his risky maneuvers.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 9, 2014.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I don't think anyone is claiming he is a bad GM. Like I said in the original post he is one of the best GMs in basketball it just so happens that even a great GM like Morey is prone to make mistakes and allowing Parsons to become a RFA was clearly one of them.

2. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

He should definitely get props for drafting CP25. that guy is getting more money than Harden now.

He should get a +1 or +2 for signing Patrick Beverley. Maybe +1 for getting Terrance Jones as well.

3. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I woudln't say hes a bad GM, but i wouldn't say hes near the best. he's made some crucial mistakes like signing lin again and giving him the worst contract in the NBA. letting dragic go, now this offseason mistakes.. I know all GMs cant win them all, but the way he went about some of these things are borderline idiotic

4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I'm not quite sure you understand the meaning/usage of the word 'prone'.

It's similar to saying Andre Johnson is prone to dropping passes or Lebron is prone to miss a field goal. No journalist would write that.

When you are describing someone who is in the upper echelon of their profession, you don't call them failure prone. It's just bad writing.

Does Morey make mistakes? Of course. But he isn't mistake-prone.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

One thing for sure, Mark Cuban is gleeful about putting Morey and the Rockets in a corner. I can hear him laughing all the way from Dallas.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, pretty sickening but let's not lose sight of the big picture. Even with Parsons, the Mavs are still a 6-8th seeded playoff team and that's IF they make the playoffs no matter how much spin Cuban is shoveling out to the MFFLs.

8. Bigsupervise

Bigsupervise Member

You let players enter RFA when A) you are a small market and you know you wont be able to get your player to resign when he's an UFA so make him a RFA and just match i.e. Utah with Hayward. or B) you really have no intention of resigning him when he's a UFA so you hope he gets a market value contract as a RFA so you can match but if he gets a higher contract you let him walk and claim you wanted him but were outbid...allowing the organization to save face i.e. NYK with Lin, CHI with Asik, and now HOU with Parsons.

Morey has stated numerous times he wants a third star, obviously acknowledging that Lin and Parsons werent stars in his opinion. Why should Parsons show any loyalty to the Rockets? The GM treats his players like fantasy basketball pieces on yahoo instead of actual people. And the Rockets are ultimately correct that Parsons is not that good. He's a one way player who has feasted off of playing off of Lin and Harden in 2012 and Harden and Dwight in 2013. And with Harden's defensive problems the Rockets really need a SF who can defend and shoot the three better.

Parsons go make your money but please people stop acting like he's some big time player. But i do worry that Houston has a growing rep of being an organization that shows no loyalty to its active players making me wonder if this team will have turnover every year which is the opposite of how you build championship team and organization

1 person likes this.
  9. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Morey has definitley overplayed his hand this off season. Woest case scenario,

No Lowry. No LBJ. No Parsons. No Melo(even if Im glad there is no Melo). No Bosh. Traded Asik, and it looks like we will probably have Lin around.

All the moves were to bring in a big time star, and it all depends on what Lebron does now.

10. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

LeBron is going back to Cleveland that much is clear, that was decided a while ago. We are just waiting for an official announcement.

11. solid

My sentiments exactly, and I have been saying this throughout Morey's tenure. Morey strikes me as a calculator rather than a "real" person. He seems devoid of warmth and loyalty. The whole "asset" mindset is an example. He is obviously clever, but players talk and he may not be seen as the most trustworthy guy.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I get your point but I'm not sure why you are holding me to journalistic standards of writing lol

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think that exonerates him at all.

1 person likes this.
  14. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I honestly say we give up on Bosh.
    Sign Pau
    Trade Lin to sixers for picks
    Trade Asik to Pelicans for picks
    Get Kevin Seraphin to back up Howard
    Sign Mario Chalmers
    Sign Mike Miller
    Sign Xavier Henry to back up harden and be a defensive shooting guard
    Match Parsons

Beverly/Chalmers/Canaan
    Harden/Henry/Johnson
    Parsons/Miller/Covington
    Gasol/Jones/Casspi
    Howard/Seraphin/DMo

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder which players feel the most screwed by Morey

Rocket River

16. Rockness

Rockness Member

Yup. Also the whole we need a third star and treatment of Lin does probably not sit well with Parsons who considers himself a borderline All-Star.

17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Rocket River

I hope it's going to be Mark Cuban.

18. solid

Great answer!

19. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Not a "Morey dick sucker" as Cheke so eloquently put it earlier, but my gosh...

I really don't know why everyone has turned against DM. It's like you all forgot what he inherited when he got here...

-2 Injured Superstars
    -Supporting cast of warm bodies
    -Salary Cap woes

Then, as others have already mentioned, made a series of clever moves to turn a bunch of warm bodies into James Harden and Dwight Howard. Things could be much worse folks, don't forget that.....we still have TWO all-stars that other teams can only dream of landing.

Regardless of this offseason's activity, we still have a team that is fun to watch and will be in the playoff hunt in a very competitive division. More than we can say for the other professional sports franchises in this city.

20. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Cap space have been the name of the game since the new CBA. All GM's in the league knew coming into this season it would be the summer of LBJ, MELO, and other big names. We held the option on Chandler, why we didn't exercised that option is beyond me. Sure we run the risk of losing CP in unrestricted FA but unlike RFA the true value is closer to par. RFA is a double edge sword, used correctly it can really screw up the other guy, and if done unsuccessfully can result in self injury.