1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

On a second thought, Parsons' new contract could be a bless for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

It may not be such one sided favor the player as you may think.

The key is the length here.

3 years and the 3rd being player's option.

OK, I think most people will expect Parsons will opt out in the 3rd year unless some major disaster happen to him.

Check Howard's contract also, he can opt out the same year : 2016 summer, and I will expect he do the same.

What exactly this will mean to the Rockets?

2016 summer :

- Durant is a unrestricted free agent.
    - Lebron could be one also depends on his new contract (well I will not consider this factor for now).
    - the latest chance for a re-negotiation of the current CBA is set for 2017, well that means the 2016 summer will be the last chance for the player to grab a secure long term deal, expecting that could be the best free agent market in years.

So, by 2016, when both Parsons and D12 will opt out, the Rockets will have TONS of cap room to chase Durant - whose one of his best friends, Harden is playing for us and he will stay for the next 4 years.

While we still have the bird rights for Parsons and D12, we can still make a play for one of them and sign them over the cap.

The other option will be : by next season, Morey can also look into the option of trading Parsons away for assets too. The trade kicker won't damage his value at all due the length and value of his contract.

So you can see, even if Rockets will match Parsons contract, we are still in a good position to move forward.

I expect these are the 2 plans of the Rockets in the next few days :

Plan A :

1. sign Bosh 4 years in the next 3 days.
    2. match Parsons offer

Plan B :

1. give up on Bosh, and then sign 2-3 guys with range of 500-800 to fill the cap while not giving up too much of our current players.
    ** heard the deal with NO for Asik is in trouble, we can take back Ajanca in this trade easily if we go with this route **
    2. match Parsons offer

1 person likes this.
  2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

clarify on above regarding plan B.

I meant to say " sign 2-3 guys with 5-8 mils per"

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, a three year deal is short, the team need overpay someone to collect a value for the future trade for a superstar.

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

If Bosh doesn't commit soon, I wouldn't be against upgrading the talent with a few trades or FA signings. This would bolster the team's overall depth. There are still a few guys out there that could be available through FA or trade like Illyasova, P.J. Tucker, Jordan Hill, etc. Then match Parsons. I was against matching him at first because it is an overpay, but they can't afford to lose him for nothing. Going into next year as a worse team then last year just can't be an option. Match him and figure out what to do with him later.

5. accougar

accougar Member

If you don't get Bosh, let Parsons go and move Lin anyway.

Then overpay on Gasol or Deng or Both on one year deals. Then you have a very competitive team for 14-15 and all kinds of cap room when Kevin Love is a free agent in 2015!

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The point of matching Parsons is we do not lose the cap space and will let Morey work over the cap.

The cap is 63 mils and the tax line is at 77 mils.

Sign Bosh to fill up 63 mils and sign Parson to get close (or even over ) 77 mils is the original plan.

Even we can not get Bosh, we should at least sign some quality players to get close to 63 mils and then match Parson.

We can still use the 15 mil contract of Parsons to enhance the team.

Let him walk away, we don't just lose a good player without any return, we also lose these 15 cap space which can help our team.

7. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Why would Parsons opt out? 15 million is a lot for him and barring him turning into a legit star or the market for free agents becomes even greater, I don't think Parsons would turn down that 15 million.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he'll never opt out, that's a rudy gay contract right there.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He would if he and Howard wanted to move somewhere else together in 2016. This is all Dan Fiegen's doing. Wouldn't be surprised if he tries to push both onto Dallas after Dirk retires.

10. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I wonder if Parsons will opt out. There's no guarantee that he will get overpaid this much again.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

As I have mentioned above regarding the 2016 summer situation and the contract structure of the Rockets,

the next 2 seasons we must go all in, this is our only existing window with this current roaster.

Any kind of hold back does not make any sense, we can not keep saying this is a young team and we must be patient.

2 years, all in, if fail, re-roll the dice again in 2016.

12. silentpayne

silentpayne Member

correct me if im wrong, but I think the CBA limits to a player's cap hit and/or salary to his max. even WITH the trade kicker. So that 15% trade kicker doesn't really mean anything because Parsons is already @ his max.

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The market is giving almost every player confidence that they want to opt out tomorrow.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the cap is going to go up....a lot, and take the max with it

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think you're rationalizing. The contract is terrible. It's the most onerous thing for the Rockets to match of anything Parsons could have signed. If the salary cap balloons as people say it will, he'll opt out for an even bigger contract if he's doing well. If he disappoints, he'll opt in and be an albatross.

Also, I seriously doubt there will be much of a trade market for him. Teams might be willing to spend $15m/year to get him, but I don't think they'll be willing to send $15m worth of other worthwhile players to get him. Free agency is the time you can collect talent without giving any in return. To trade for him when he makes that much (with questionable return) and you have to give up talent for him? Plus, a trade kicker to make salary matching harder? I think that's a hard sell.

1 person likes this.

#34 Member

17. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

First of all, if he opted out, like I said, that's the 2016 summer market, we will be in play for bigger fish anyway.

If he opted in and he will be a much worse player than we expected (the chance is low on this), well, we are still looking at just 1 more year with him.

Regarding his trade value, even at 15 mils, that's a totally tradable asset. His name was linked in Rondo and Love trade the last 2 years. Think about it, Love is also at his last year and teams may not even have confidence that he will resign and they are still lining up for him.

So, if Morey will see a chance to trade him next season, and with reasonable return, that's definitely an option.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Absolutely correct. This is Fegen and Cuban conspiring all day long. The fact is, Parsons obviously is being pushed to Dallas and is being sold something big there outside the money.

I have a hard time seeing Fegen not packaging Dwight and Parsons together in the future for leverage anyways. If the Rockets have a cheaper Chandler replacement they can get now, my advice would be to go that direction. Fegen has way too much power in the Rockets front office right now if they match, and he's secretly conspiring with the enemy. That's not a good thing.

19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Houston will match Parsons if they can land Bosh

20. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Simple. If he opts out after the 3rd year (and he's still physically fit), he can sign a longer deal with someone for overall more $ than 15mill. For example - 4 yrs at 10 per = 40 million.